Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2009 R/T and there's an opportunity to purchase a complete 2011 SRT exhaust. From what I have read, everything including the O2 sensors should bolt up. I'd get the factory headers, bigger mids, and 2.75 exhaust (vs 2.5).

Anybody do this mod and what gains did you get?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Unless you're planning complimentary other mods like head porting, bigger cam and throttle body. The answer is about 5 HP and a slight loss of low end torque. A supercharger or turbo would most definitely appreciate the additional flow.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
From all the threads I've read, the bottle neck with the 5.7 is the cats and manifolds. Most get about 12 hp with the JBAs which flow similar to the SRT headers. I assume bigger mids would flow better than the 5.7 mids. I believe that less back pressure won't hurt low end as long as its tuned for the mod. I'm not sure why you only say 5 hp and a loss of low end?

·
Registered
413 Posts
If I'm going to all the work of taking the stock manifolds off, nothing but long tube headers is going back on. But that's just me, and I'd be doing the work, not paying someone else to do it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The cat back will be overkill; 2.25-2.5" is ideal for a bolt-on R/T. The manifolds and cats will be good for some noticeable gains. I have 392 manifolds and mid-pipes sitting in my garage waiting to go on my 2012 Charger R/T.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
896 Posts
This is a worthwhile upgrade to the cheesy 5.7 manifold. You WILL notice a healthier breathing engine up at the top of the rpm band. It pulls so much harder. I had an entire set from the 6.4 shorties to the mid pipes sitting in my garage and hesitated for about 18 months until recently when I finally installed them. I wish I did them sooner. It is a noticeable increase in power, but a giant pain in the ass to install.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you can get a good deal on the exhaust I'd say get it but long tubes is the way to go

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
I've got a 2009 R/T and there's an opportunity to purchase a complete 2011 SRT exhaust. From what I have read, everything including the O2 sensors should bolt up. I'd get the factory headers, bigger mids, and 2.75 exhaust (vs 2.5).

Anybody do this mod and what gains did you get?

Bro everything I've read about the 5.7 manifolds is that they are very heavy and very restrictive. Also the SRT shorties do perform well, like after market ones. That being said if you can get your hands on SRT shorties and mids cheap, it's a no brainier. If not, I wouldn't go purchase shorties, long tubes all the way, 1 3/4 for the 5.7. You still need some, a little back pressure so your torque doesn't drop off. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. Longtubes are superior, but the down side is I would lose my lifetime warranty and would have to turn my rear O2 sensors off.

I may be able fly under the radar with the SRT system and not have the CEL issues.

Looking at the 5.7 manifold, they don't look THAT restrictive when compared to the old V8 "logs" of the 60s and 70s that I've seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A member recently got a custom tune, dynoed then added the long tubes to show that they were good for 30hp/tq alone. The shorties are believed to perform a little less but until someone does a comparison its just guessing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dtru - do you have any before/after track times or 0-60 with the long tubes? Are you running cats?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Waste of time and effort.
Care to explain why you think so?

Dtru - do you have any before/after track times or 0-60 with the long tubes? Are you running cats?
No track times, I have not been to the track.

I am running the ARH high flow cats and my best 0-60 went from 5.3 to 5 flat. Havent tried it since but its pulling even harder since I have put more miles on it.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Waste of time and effort.

Absolute false statement if your looking to pick up a few extra ponies and have the motor breath easier. If the OP, or any one else for that matter, can get their hands on SRT shorties cheap, it's DEFINITELY not a waste of time and effort. Don't ask for track times, dyno numbers, or time slips. There is only one thing a person needs to know, or have. Common sense when looking at a 5.7 exhaust MANIFOLD sitting on a bench next to a set of set of SHORT TUBES.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I don't think that is very strong logic. If there is a benefit, then it should be quantifiable on some test. If you're just looking at things on a bench, you have no way to know if one thing is better or not. You are just going off looks at that point.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
I don't think that is very strong logic. If there is a benefit, then it should be quantifiable on some test. If you're just looking at things on a bench, you have no way to know if one thing is better or not. You are just going off looks at that point.

That's just it, you really don't need to apply much logic as far as "do SRT headers flow as good or better than RT manifolds". It's a no brainier. Almost everybody that has been on this site, almost, at some point or another has seen the dyno results or the differences in 1/4 times with the headers vs manifolds. That being said is the reason why I made the comment, "just look at the two side by side on a bench and you'll be able to tell which flows better. For me not everything has to be backed up by scientific testing and data if it's already out there. Sometimes, and please this isn't dig on you, but sometimes my common sense comes into play.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's just it, you really don't need to apply much logic as far as "do SRT headers flow as good or better than RT manifolds". It's a no brainier. Almost everybody that has been on this site, almost, at some point or another has seen the dyno results or the differences in 1/4 times with the headers vs manifolds. That being said is the reason why I made the comment, "just look at the two side by side on a bench and you'll be able to tell which flows better. For me not everything has to be backed up by scientific testing and data if it's already out there. Sometimes, and please this isn't dig on you, but sometimes my common sense comes into play.

More flow is not always what you want, you want good scavenging. Unless someone has actual before and after dyno output of this, I still say it's a waste of time. TUNED headers for the 5.7 are a different story with a tuned exhaust for the 5.7 might be worth the $2K plus but unless I was doing other engine work, i doubt I would ever do any exhaust swaps. For the 30hp gains you might get from some exhaust systems, there are better ways to get more power for $2K plus.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
More flow is not always what you want, you want good scavenging. Unless someone has actual before and after dyno output of this, I still say it's a waste of time. TUNED headers for the 5.7 are a different story with a tuned exhaust for the 5.7 might be worth the $2K plus but unless I was doing other engine work, i doubt I would ever do any exhaust swaps. For the 30hp gains you might get from some exhaust systems, there are better ways to get more power for $2K plus.

Ok

1 - 20 of 28 Posts