Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2014 r/t redline and sometimes when I step on the gas the car acts as if I did nothing at all. This isn't at any specific rpm or gear as it has happened from dead start at stop light as well as on freeway. I have to let off the gas completely and step on it again to get power.
I have had this in dealer 3 times and they say car driving normally. Almost 9k miles on it and I have almost been killed 4 times because I couldn't get out of way of oncoming traffic as my engine just idled with my foot down on peddle. Thank god those people stopped.

Does anyone know what could do this? It is seriously a safety concern of mine

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I've heard stories similar to yours a couple years ago with some challengers. If I remember correctly it was due to the PCM updates available at that time. But with later updates, problem was fixed.
I'd put the stock tune back on and take it in for a reflash. Worth a try IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try but I has put stock tune in other times to (didn't want void warranty). One of the times they mentioned it was odd I had latest version without them updating it. I think diablos port made me update

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
It still has the problem even when you are running the stock tune? If so, run it with the stock tune until the problem occurs and then take it in so they can retrieve the code if there.
Sounds like you may have have a throttle body or accelerator pedal electrical problem such as a position sensor intermittent.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I beeline it did before when I was on stock. On lunch break I just went and put stock tune back in. Would something like thermostat cause that? Was looking at a throttle body replacement but that wasn't due to problem.
I'll drive around on stock for a bit to find out.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Sounds like the six pin connector to the TB is corroded or intermittantly not making contact. Inspect it and if it appears clean , disconnect it and reconnect it half dozen times. Had a similar problem on a Nissan 280Z that the dealer and several shops were unable to solve. The pcm on the Nissan is self checking and there is a green light that indicates all is well, but it would start but as soon as you stepped on the gas it would die. I cleaned the contacts on all the sensors and cured the problem.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's the throttle by wire system. Some people claim if you pull fuse #2 and reset the transmission training it feels different. It's the tuning that's the issue, many complain about this on all the hemi cars.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you think it was just the tuning? I guess I'll find out in a bit. I lost noticeable power putting stock tune in. the previous commenter was talking about car dieing. mine doesn't die it just acts like I didn't touch the gas pedal at all. It will go if I let off gas and slam it back down real quick but when I do that the car seems to pretend it is a loud fog machine and smoke starts coming up everywhere...

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
so you think it was just the tuning? I guess I'll find out in a bit. I lost noticeable power putting stock tune in. the previous commenter was talking about car dieing. mine doesn't die it just acts like I didn't touch the gas pedal at all. It will go if I let off gas and slam it back down real quick but when I do that the car seems to pretend it is a loud fog machine and smoke starts coming up everywhere...

Why don't you let the tech drive it while you sit next to him. If dealer refuses, call dodge customer service and file a complaint.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
auto. I think it has rocketted me forward if I waited with pedal down but not sure i usually let it go and push it again

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Have 2014 r/t redline and sometimes when I step on the gas the car acts as if I did nothing at all. This isn't at any specific rpm or gear as it has happened from dead start at stop light as well as on freeway. I have to let off the gas completely and step on it again to get power.
I have had this in dealer 3 times and they say car driving normally. Almost 9k miles on it and I have almost been killed 4 times because I couldn't get out of way of oncoming traffic as my engine just idled with my foot down on peddle. Thank god those people stopped.

Does anyone know what could do this? It is seriously a safety concern of mine
My completely stock 2011 RT does this same thing on occasion. Never took it to the dealer as it will only do it once in a while when I hammer it to get on the freeway while still on the ramp. It only seems to ever do it on a left handed turn and down hill ramp like here in Texas. Those ramps made like a backwards question mark (?)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine does it in straight line also. I do notice when hitting bump going into parking lots usually turning right all my pedals shake bad if I hit it with any speed at all

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a dodge cares user message me day of last message which gave me hope my problem would get help but never replied to my replies ;(.

Getting something as simple as a part price is impossible. Even at sales counter ask for price of something I receive "I don't know" no offer to LOOK IT UP.. Same thing with same dealers chat reps on website.

Can't fix my problem.

Can't answer simple part price question. Ugh.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My car had throttle lag. It is a 2009 RT 6 speed. All 2009 & 2010 rt 6 speeds have this problem after chrysler updates the computer to AG Calid. The only way to get rid of it is to downgrade the calid to AE. I never heard of this in an auto car. But the symptoms sound similar. Did Chrysler update your cars ecu recently? It pissed me off for 3 years and I also thought it was a big safety issue. Chrysler will deny it but they mess with the torque management of our cars to reduce warranty claims. What is the software version of your ECU? Never let chrysler update your ECU.... ever. They do it when you get servicing done as a required update. Did your car do this when new? If not I bet they updated your software with new torque control management software. Without asking permission first. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Could be something as simple as a vacuum hose came loose or has a break, too. That would match up exactly with the symptom of the engine stumbling after applying any significant amount of throttle.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
My car had throttle lag. It is a 2009 RT 6 speed. All 2009 & 2010 rt 6 speeds have this problem after chrysler updates the computer to AG Calid. The only way to get rid of it is to downgrade the calid to AE. I never heard of this in an auto car. But the symptoms sound similar. Did Chrysler update your cars ecu recently? It pissed me off for 3 years and I also thought it was a big safety issue. Chrysler will deny it but they mess with the torque management of our cars to reduce warranty claims. What is the software version of your ECU? Never let chrysler update your ECU.... ever. They do it when you get servicing done as a required update. Did your car do this when new? If not I bet they updated your software with new torque control management software. Without asking permission first. I feel your pain.

And this is why I have this little do-hicky now. OBD ii lock, they have to call you to unlock it before they can download any information or do any unauthorized updates. And my car did it again today on a flat straight stretch when I floored it already moving at 30-40 mph. It just died then took off. Almost like a carbureted car with a bad accelerator pump with that part throttle bog.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts