Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems to just be a null modem cable to hook into a 'puter. you can make a null modem or buy one for around 3 bucks, if you computer has a serial port that is. Mine does, I wish I'd known and saved myself some money. oh well.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Don't buy the $6 usb=ser cables off Ebay. It may work for data logging etc but when it came time to load a large file to update the Predator, it would crap out every time about 1/3 of the way through on the download. Because the firmware was incomplete, your Predator gets bricked until you can successfully update it.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Don't buy the $6 usb=ser cables off Ebay. It may work for data logging etc but when it came time to load a large file to update the Predator, it would crap out every time about 1/3 of the way through on the download. Because the firmware was incomplete, your Predator gets bricked until you can successfully update it.
It sounds like you may need better drivers for your converter. I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It sounds like you may need better drivers for your converter. I've never had an issue.
Nope, used drivers recommended by seller. Like I said, works fine on smaller transfers/files. Just when doing larger files (firmware update) did it fail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i question the quality of the provided drivers. I also wish there was a Mac driver. I'm having to borrow a laptop, that or go buy a copy of windoze and a vm for one of my other setups.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Nope, used drivers recommended by seller. Like I said, works fine on smaller transfers/files. Just when doing larger files (firmware update) did it fail.
Try to wipe out the drivers and find better ones. It won't take you long on Google.

I tried using manufacturer provided drivers for mine and they didn't work. Third party drivers are your best bet for products like this with little recent support.

If it still doesn't work for updates then you may want to take a look at your USB drivers.

·
Registered
574 Posts
a simple serial cable works, thats what i use.

i didnt bother to buy the data cable or charger, i used an old serial cable and bought from radio shack a DC universal charger with the right amp/volts for the predator, cost me next to nothing.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
a simple serial cable works, thats what i use.

i didnt bother to buy the data cable or charger, i used an old serial cable and bought from radio shack a DC universal charger with the right amp/volts for the predator, cost me next to nothing.
That is fine if you have an old pc with a serial port. :) Modern computers don't really come with them anymore as serial communication is becoming more and more obsolete. I did resolve my problem by buying a $20 usb to serial cable from a local electronics store. The issue with the old cable seemed to be a handshake problem which the buffer would get overrun and then the communication would freeze and eventually time out. Could have been a driver or just a defect in manufacturing the cable as I hear there is alot more to them than a straight serial cable.

I was just happy to get my Predator back as it got bricked due to the failure of loading the new firmware.

·
Banned
811 Posts
No serial ports on my mobile devices. No serial port on my tower server (it doesn't even have ps2, only USB, firewire, and ESATA). Like I said, it's the 21st century ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
haha yes my computer is a little old (5 years) but i spent so much on it that its still capable of maxing out every game out there almost ;)

just it has a serial port... haha

But ya ive heard stories of those usb to serial adapters having issue, mostly because of cheap crap ones from asia that arent 100% compatible.

On diablos site they have some drivers for the usb to serial adapters, my suggestion and what im going to do myself to plug it into my laptop and data log is to get a serial to usb adapter made by the company that makes those drivers, theyre sure to be compatible then.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
haha yes my computer is a little old (5 years) but i spent so much on it that its still capable of maxing out every game out there almost ;)
Wow... 5 years old and you can max recent games? I would like to know what the specs on your PC are. What graphics card are you using? I build custom gaming rigs so you have my attention :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
FWIW almost all serial to USB converters are one of 2 different chipsets. By "almost all", I mean well over %95 of what you buy from NewEgg or your local computer store or whatever - the name on the front doesn't matter one whit, they're all simply using a single IC that takes USB on one side and RS-232 on the other. By far the most prevalent is the Prolific 2303 (or 2313 for dual port) and you can download drivers for pretty much every platform direct from Prolific here. The other major vendor of USB to RS232 chipsets is FTDI, and you can get drivers for them here. In either event, skip the drivers that came with your unit as they are almost certainly out of date.

edit: sorry the thread title sucked me in then I went all geek on everybody :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts