Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just did an oil change in my 2011 Challenger R/T. I also did an oil change in the rear end. It is the 215mm axle. I was pretty sure it took the 14mm hex socket, but was unable to confirm it. In several auto parts stores, their hex key sets went from 12mm to 14 to 17, so there seemed to be no 15mm, as I thought it might be.

Just wanted to write it here, as I would have really appreciated solid knowledge before risking $8.99 plus tax on the 14mm hex socket at Autozone, which turned out to be the right choice.

And the axle took just under 1.5 quarts to fill until it was coming out the fill hole, I let it overflow and settle for a few minutes then put the fill plug back in.

Because I had gotten 2 1 quart bottles of 75W-90 gear oil, once the axle was done draining, I plugged the drain and put some new oil in, a few ounces, then let it sit a minute and then reopened the drain to more completely drain the remnants of old oil. In retrospect I should have put in more, as I still finished the job with about 12 ounces in one bottle.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,541 Posts
I just did an oil change in my 2011 Challenger R/T. I also did an oil change in the rear end. It is the 215mm axle. I was pretty sure it took the 14mm hex socket, but was unable to confirm it. In several auto parts stores, their hex key sets went from 12mm to 14 to 17, so there seemed to be no 15mm, as I thought it might be.

Just wanted to write it here, as I would have really appreciated solid knowledge before risking $8.99 plus tax on the 14mm hex socket at Autozone, which turned out to be the right choice.

And the axle took just under 1.5 quarts to fill until it was coming out the fill hole, I let it overflow and settle for a few minutes then put the fill plug back in.
Wonder if a 9/16 would work as well? Might be a slightly tighter fit.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9/16"?

Well, remember that this is a hex plug, it is putting a 14mm Allen wrench tip in a socket to be used on a ratchet wrench. It's not a standard 14mm bolt head.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,541 Posts
9/16"?

Well, remember that this is a hex plug, it is putting a 14mm Allen wrench tip in a socket to be used on a ratchet wrench. It's not a standard 14mm bolt head.
Allen wrenches come in metric and imperial sizes, just like hex sockets and combination wrenches. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts