Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if these are the correct version of Pirelli for my 2017 Scat Pack Shaker? Pirelli has so many different versions. There Are P Zero & P Zero (PZ4) and apparently there is a "sport" tuned version of the PZ4 & a "luxury" tuned version also. I want the "sport."

I must buy from Tire Rack (company discount) so I'm trying to narrow it down. The tire is Y rated and I'm staying with factory size 245/45/20. The spec sheet indicated sport or luxury on almost all of them EXCEPT the tire I "think" I should buy. That just says "Jaguar, Land Rover." I'm lost!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+(PZ4)&partnum=445YR0PZ4XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

FYI if you want to suggest something else I'll do it. Price is not a factor. Was considering the Pilot Super Sports also but heard they could be an overly stiff, harsh ride and I spend a lot of time on the bumpy interstates in SoCal.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Can someone tell me if these are the correct version of Pirelli for my 2017 Scat Pack Shaker? Pirelli has so many different versions. There Are P Zero & P Zero (PZ4) and apparently there is a "sport" tuned version of the PZ4 & a "luxury" tuned version also. I want the "sport."

I must buy from Tire Rack (company discount) so I'm trying to narrow it down. The tire is Y rated and I'm staying with factory size 245/45/20. The spec sheet indicated sport or luxury on almost all of them EXCEPT the tire I "think" I should buy. That just says "Jaguar, Land Rover." I'm lost!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+(PZ4)&partnum=445YR0PZ4XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

FYI if you want to suggest something else I'll do it. Price is not a factor. Was considering the Pilot Super Sports also but heard they could be an overly stiff, harsh ride and I spend a lot of time on the bumpy interstates in SoCal.

Thanks!

Do a tire search at Tirerack based on your vehicle. I just did -- at least as close as I could get to your vehicle -- and Pirelli P Zero (Original equipment) were first.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Challenger+SRT&autoModClar=392&width=275/&ratio=40&diameter=20&sortCode=60050&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=Z&minLoadRating=XL

The Pirelli tire is also the least expensive. The other choices are BF Goodrich and Continental.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
The correct Pirelli is a 275/40-20, the load/speed rating is (106Y), the all season is the P Zero Nero and the summer tire is the P Zero.

I wouldn't even consider another 245, go with the 275s. Check with the dealer too if you want the Pirellis as they might have a good price on them.

I had the all seasons and they were ok and although I got two years out of them, thought they'd go a little longer than they did, mostly worn out at 16K miles.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The correct Pirelli is a 275/40-20, the load/speed rating is (106Y), the all season is the P Zero Nero and the summer tire is the P Zero.

I wouldn't even consider another 245, go with the 275s. Check with the dealer too if you want the Pirellis as they might have a good price on them.

I had the all seasons and they were ok and although I got two years out of them, thought they'd go a little longer than they did, mostly worn out at 16K miles.

I planned on keeping the 245/45/20 but upgrading the quality of the tire only. The ones I was considering were supposed to be newer or upgraded from the regular P Zero... They are:

P Zero (PZ4)
Load: XL
Speed: 103Y
UTQG: 280 AA A

If I keep the 245 I just want to see if that's a good tire? It should be an improvement over the Goodyear Eagle F1 of the same size that came with the car right??

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I planned on keeping the 245/45/20 but upgrading the quality of the tire only. The ones I was considering were supposed to be newer or upgraded from the regular P Zero... They are:

P Zero (PZ4)
Load: XL
Speed: 103Y
UTQG: 280 AA A

If I keep the 245 I just want to see if that's a good tire? It should be an improvement over the Goodyear Eagle F1 of the same size that came with the car right??

Tirerack thinks the Pirelli 275/40ZR20 tire is the original equipment for your car, well, as close to your car as I could get with the choices Tirerack offered.

I found an online tire calculator and entered the tire size for the 245/45ZR20 and the 275/40ZR20 and both appear to have the same revs/mile (704).

I would hazard a guess that all major brands of tires: Pirelli, BG Goodrich, Continental and Goodyear are about the same. (I think my Challenger came with Goodyear tires.)

FWIW, with one of my other cars I've run Pirelli and Michelin tires and couldn't tell the difference. Same feel, grip, tire life, etc. Same with yet another car. On it I ran Continental and Bridgestone tires and there was no difference. Same feel, grip, tire life, etc. Often what drove my decision as to which brand of tire to buy was whichever brand of approved tire was available or if there was more than one brand available the least expensive brand.

You can consider buying a high performance tire. The all season tires are not high performance although they do an adaquate job. Both of my previous cars (Porsche) used high performance tires and the tires were quite good. Very good in fact. But they wore out -- the rears anyhow -- in 20K miles and I was pretty easy on the tires. At around $400/each for the rear tires on one of the cars I didn't want to spin the tires. Ever.

Also, they were not that good in wet or cold conditions. The tread depth was a bit less than lesser tires for more stability at high speed. While they were more stable they were not able to tolerate much water on the road. I had to slow down to avoid hydroplaning. And under 50F they got a bit less gripy.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I too wouldn't waste time on another 245, and as far as quality, I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference in anything going from the OEM Goodyears.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't get Pirellis again. I have the 275 all season P Zeros that came with the dynamics package. They slip real easy in the rain and forget about driving in the snow. Then again since neither of those are probably a factor for you, they are fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My opinion of the 275 all season P Zeros that came my car is that they don't have much of any traction in any weather and don't belong on a Scat Pack.

·
Registered
426 Posts
From my experience Pirelli tires are garbage and I wouldn't use them even if they were given to me. My 2013 Mustang GT had the Pirelli summer tires and the grip was horrible in the summer and dangerous below 50F. I still had 85% tread remaining when I replaced the summer Pirellis for Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 all season tires which dramatically improved the ride and handling. With the DWS06s I drove the Mustang in snow without any issues.

I've been running the DWS06s on my 2014 SS Sedan (6.2L LS3 powered) for over 60K miles. 1st set lasted 50K front (245/40/19), 40K rear (285/35/19). The OEM summer tires were wore out at 13K.

I ran Pirelli Scorpion tires on my 1999 4x4 Suburban and hated them. The tires would get flat spots within hrs of sitting and made it feel like you were driving with square tires. Traction was good for the 1st 5K miles then they went down hill from there and I replaced them at 50% tread remaining.

I'm running Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 275/40/20 on my 2017 Challenger GT and have driven over 2K miles on snowy/icey roads without any issues. Living in the rainy Northwest great wet weather tires are a must and the DWS06 are the best I've experienced.
275_40_20 RL

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
644 Posts
Lol try running the summer ones at low temperature and talk about butt pucker. I didn't realize I had them until in got cold here and found out and thought something was wrong with the car. I know you wouldn't think Oklahoma gets cold but it dips sometimes. Not like the north, northeast poor souls. I left Michigan when I was 19 to join the ARMY so I would probably die.

Mopar or No Car

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts

That's a common comment on both the 3 season and all season Pirellis that are OEM on the SRTs - the tread life isn't all that great on them.

I'd investigate other brands, unless you OP doesn't mind buying new tires every other year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a common comment on both the 3 season and all season Pirellis that are OEM on the SRTs - the tread life isn't all that great on them.

I'd investigate other brands, unless you OP doesn't mind buying new tires every other year.
These new PZ4 Sport tires were supposed to be redesigned and have better tread life. My only other option would be Michellin Pilot Super Sport or Continental Contact Sport. I am supposed to get the Pirelli today but I can always send them back.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
These new PZ4 Sport tires were supposed to be redesigned and have better tread life. My only other option would be Michellin Pilot Super Sport or Continental Contact Sport. I am supposed to get the Pirelli today but I can always send them back.

Of those you mentioned, the Conti has the highest treadwear factor.

In my experience the 320 rate tires generally are 18-24k for treadwear life. If you stay with the PZ4's it will be informative to see how they wear for you.

The P Zero and P Zero Nero tended to wear faster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Of those you mentioned, the Conti has the highest treadwear factor.

In my experience the 320 rate tires generally are 18-24k for treadwear life. If you stay with the PZ4's it will be informative to see how they wear for you.

The P Zero and P Zero Nero tended to wear faster.
I did keep the Pirelli and I notice a small increase in ride quality and a big increase in traction over the stock Goodyear F1. Steering feels a lot more precise but a lot heavier to me so I am not sure if I have the tire pressure dialed in yet. Currently running at 32 psi but I'll probably bump it up a bit... at least in the front. I will update on tread life when I get some miles on them. Also, just a note... I figured out that the tread pattern is what separates the "sport" from the "luxury" version of the new PZ4's. The luxury has the same pattern on the inside and outside edge and the sport is like my picture below.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tires on my 2016 SRT, and with 11,000 on them they already look like they have most of their tread life behind them. I am a very moderate driver, is this the norm for these tires??

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Yes, I'm at 20,000 miles and they are done. Really thought they'd go longer, oh well it's a heavy car with power so it's going to wear the tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Pirelli all seasons that come on some of our cars are terrible tires. They're stiff, loud and traction isn't nominal. I'm replacing mine soon and going back with the Firestone Firehawk GTs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mickey Thompson Super Comps are the best tire I have ever tried. Talk about a All season competition tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts