Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lost on how to get the perfect exhaust setup for my 2014 SXT.

I've taken off the mid-mufflers, left the suitcase resonators on and it sounds not so good, there is a humming and whirring coming from the resonator.
Previously, I put on a Magnflow long tube muffler in the middle- they are 14" long. Those were put on with the resonators too, and it was too quite for me.

I basically need a nice growl when accelerating, when idling a nice deep tone, and obviously at WOT a loud nice purring sound.

Im afraid to take off my resonators if I put back the magnaflow tube mufflers in the middle, wouldnt that be loud as hell?

Want my setup to be medium loud. Maybe add magnaflow oval mufflers where the resonators are with the magnaflow tube mufflers in the middle? :dunno:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a V6 so you're never going to get it to sound good.
I don't agree on that. I saw a video on Youtube with a V6 that had 2 Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers in the middle and it sounds just perfect.

Here's the video -

I'll probably add a Magnaflow X-pipe before the mufflers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just get the Flowmaster Super 40s if that is the sound you like?
Well I do, but not available here locally, so i bought magnaflow mufflers and put them in place of the resonators, not sure if that was the correct location to place them and it sounds good but alot of drone at around 2,000 rpm.

I think ill put them in the mufflers location next (center of the car) and just straight pipe the resonator area to the tips?
Would that make any difference to the sound or not?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I used Thrush Welded mufflers on mine, to replace the mufflers, they are similar to Flowmasters, and straight piped the resonators. I think it sounds good, but then again I have the small Hemi

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts
Do you have a good custom exhaust shop nearby? Ask them if they make J Pipes. They replace the resonators, and cancel out the drone. There are more than a few exhausts that will give you the sound you desire, but they will all drone. The Solo (with J Pipes), the Borla (with resonators), and the Corsa (also with resonators) all do not drone. Any exhaust you install with the stock resonators will not drone, but will disappoint for sound. A Guy

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive just come back from the muffler shop and have to say I feel much better about the setup now.

Relocated the Maganflow mufflers that were in place of the resonators to the center of the car (muffler location) and its sounds not so loud now when cruising but at low rpms there a nice deep tone and when accelerating, however the drone is noticeable when accelerating, it doesnt really bother me but i guess that will quieten down over time pherhaps when the exhaust settles in, its only done 100km. Will wait until its done 1,000km to see if the drone is any better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds a bit muffled, the Black Widow is louder if that's what you want.
Any louder than the cops here would hunt us down, they dont like LOUD cars. This sound is pretty much perfect for what im looking for.
I might do a magnaflow X-pipe to see if that makes any difference to the sound.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Any louder than the cops here would hunt us down, they dont like LOUD cars.
Ok, I was confused because you said you wanted something louder?
Curious, where's "here"?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,611 Posts