Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bare with me, I'm new here and new to Dodge/Challenger....

So I stumbled across a conversation elsewhere about "a droning noise, after resonator delete" and got myself all confused. Is this the "intake resonator" (aka "intake silencer"? aka "intake wart") or is this the resonator(s) in the exhaust piping? I wasn't really clear on which they were talking about.

I just ask cause I just ordered a Charger intake tube for my 2018 RT to remove the intake silencer, and was now worried this was going to create some kind of drone noise I was reading about it.

So yeah, just looking for some clarification from a noobie, thanks!

Reactions: Beachlovers2

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
You bought the right part. Drone is what can happen when you remove the rear resonators from your exhaust system.

Reactions: Dizman7

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bought the right part. Drone is what can happen when you remove the rear resonators from your exhaust system.
Ah ok, WHEW! Thanks for sorting me out on that, so I won't get any negative noise from the Charger tube right? While I'm here, what exactly does it un-silence? I'll just hear more whooshing of the air going in?

I asked cause I just ordered it the other day and then stumbled across that and got all worried it was going to have negative effect. It's a lease so I won't be doing anything drastic with the exhaust, so sounds like I don't have to worry about this drone noise.

I also ordered Hellcat lower intake box (with aFe headlight tube) to go with the Charger tube. And I got the Charger intake tube cause I want to put an oil catch can on it too.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
You car will sound just a tad louder, it'll be just right. You are going the right direction with your mods. The big plastic box on your intake is supposed the absorb a small % of sound for EPA regulation reasons, to make a stock one pass the noise restrictions. No need to worry about warranties, you'll be okay. Put the stock parts back on when you turn it back in!

Reactions: Dizman7

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You car will sound just a tad louder
Like the exhaust sound/note you mean? I'm just curious which part will sound louder/different is all.

Hopefully I'll get these all by these parts by this weekend so I can install them along with clutch delay valve delete and then I should be set for a while :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Others might have a different experience but, as far as I'm concerned, you won't hear any difference whatsoever after changing that intake part. The biggest reason for removing the "wart" is to make space, and provide a bolt, to mount a catch can. I've seen hundreds of posts with folks trying to determine exactly what purpose that thing serves and I've never seen a definitive answer. Of course, that's just me and I surely haven't read all the messages here.
What I do know for certain is that removing it made no change of sound or performance in the '13 Challenger R/T I had.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
On another train of thought, I always wondered why the Challenger has that tube and the Charger does not. They have the same engine. I suspected that it added something to the Challenger's performance since it's considered more of a muscle car than the Charger. I figure it's actually taking something away to remove it. But, if so, there's no real evidence. It did give me a place to mount my Moroso catch can and everybody knows thats worth at least 15-35 HP!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,770 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts