Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of cold air intakes out there. They all seem to either be a PITA to change the filter or are open to the elements since I have the hood with the heat extractors.

Do you know of an aftermarket conical filter that will fit inside the factory airbox?
That's really all I need, maybe just an adapter....
anyone try it?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
question is - why?
No perf gain to be had.
Wont see it visually once its inside the airbox.
Probably would flow less then the factory fit square filter unit ( some of which flow very well), since its going to have to be smaller surface area in order to fit inside, combined with whatever christmas tree of adaptors needed to mate it all up.
No thanks.

Reactions: jzink0883

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,498 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
you can replace to top of your air box with this and add the hell cat lower box and air catcher tube.

You can also add the complete T/A kit too.

Talk to @stevewhite to see exactly what part number air catcher you need.
I have this MOPAR Set-up for sale... brand new. $360 shipped within Continental US.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Factory CAI in my opinion in some ways is a better design than anything else out there because it seals better and is closed to elements including the water coming in via my heat extractors.

The problem with it is that they use a flat surfaced filter which has considerably less surface area then the aftermarket ones. Replacing the whole enclosure just to fit a conical filter and then charging $400 to me is a con job.

I like the look of the T/A CAI where it uses the main scoop but need to research that

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
here is the whole kit with the duct that mounts under the hood and seals to the CAI in that link. You are not going to like it's price.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Have you seen the new Hellcat intake? You would need to change your hood too and get all the bezels for it. It will cost too.

I run this in my 5.7L, I also have the air catcher tube. It does not, nor will any filter increase horsepower but it did flow enough air that
on my lowly 5.7L with mods it made 434 HP to the wheels. Damn near what your Scat Pack makes.

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
there are washable filters that are offered by AEM / K&N that are non-oiled that replace the flat panel filter.

But the OEM Hellcat paper filter is the highest flow rating and will fit the airbox of the V8 models.

·
Registered
243 Posts
here is the whole kit with the duct that mounts under the hood and seals to the CAI in that link. You are not going to like it's price.

That is the T/A Challenger Intake System.
I have that complete T/A Intake System on my SRT.
Yes it's a direct bolt up, all you have to do is buy a longer bolt/ larger washer for the drivers side heat extractor to also hold the T/A intake duct.

I am selling a Brand New MOPAR CAI for the SRT Style Hood Challenger:
Conical FIlter, MOPAR Open Top Box, Hellcat Lower Box, Hellcat Inlet, MUA Tube for the 6.4L and 5.7L.

It fits the SRT Style Hoods (no heat extractors), or the SRT Hoods (heat extractors).
Using the SRT Style hoods (5.7L) the intake will be covered from the top.
Using the SRT Hood (6.4L), the MOPAR Conical FIlter will be located right below the drivers side heat extractor.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
That is the T/A Challenger Intake System.
I have that complete T/A Intake System on my SRT.
Yes it's a direct bolt up, all you have to do is buy a longer bolt/ larger washer for the drivers side heat extractor to also hold the T/A intake duct.

I am selling a Brand New MOPAR CAI for the SRT Style Hood Challenger:
Conical FIlter, MOPAR Open Top Box, Hellcat Lower Box, Hellcat Inlet, MUA Tube for the 6.4L and 5.7L.

It fits the SRT Style Hoods (no heat extractors), or the SRT Hoods (heat extractors).
Using the SRT Style hoods (5.7L) the intake will be covered from the top.
Using the SRT Hood (6.4L), the MOPAR Conical FIlter will be located right below the drivers side heat extractor.
yep, I run the hell cat lower box and an AEM drop in filter. I am hoping to see a used airduct for the T/A that mounts to the underside of the hood to modify into a lid to fit over the T/A top and filter. I have a '15 R/T so I would have to velcro it to the hood insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts