Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a '14 R/T, and always wanted to add a back-up camera. I have the factory top-end navigation head unit. I recently found a great deal on an '18 Hellcat take-off spoiler, and added it to my car as an appearance upgrade.

My question: Shouldn't it be relatively easy to interface the factory camera to the existing head unit? I'm not particularly electronics knowledgeable, but can follow simple instructions, and fabricate harnesses, etc. Is there a way to make this work? I understand I'll have to build a harness, but need to know which wires go to which pins on the head unit.

I'm also aware that I'll probably need to take the car into the dealer to have them flash the computer to activate the camera functionality on the head unit. That's not a problem.

Mostly, I'm hoping one of the electronics gurus here can provide a simple sketch showing which wires go where. I've found the pin-out diagram for the camera on line, so it should be a simple manner of connecting it all up.

If this can be done fairly easily, it would be a great upgrade for any '08-'14 owner to incorporate on their car, and get a factory-located camera. Any '15-current camera-equipped spoiler would be applicable.

Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No responses: Is this posted in the right place? I figured someone good with electronics could give some direction on this. If it should be posted elsewhere to get better response, let me know and I'll re-post.

Thanks!

JD

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the aftermarket extensively, and found that no one makes a plug and play harness for this. I am ready to fabricate a harness myself. Just need to know what pin goes to what pin between the two ends. I can come up with a factory camera connector from a wrecked car, and assume I can source a head unit connector from someplace. Once I have everything soldered up and routed, will the camera function with a "flash" from the dealer? I'm not going to start the process unless I know there's a shot at success. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do. All cameras are basically the same functionally, correct? But, being a mechanical engineer, sometimes the electronic stuff is beyond me...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm resurrecting this thread from a few months ago. Nope, still haven't done anything with my backup camera situation!

Did a little searching, and found the below item on Amazon. Looks like it does the same thing the Lockpick product does, just cheaper. I'm only interested in activating the backup camera and not any other functionality, so looking for the lowest cost option that works for that. Just curious if anyone here has any good/bad feedback on this product.

Thanks!

JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts