Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2016 Challenger SXT Plus and I’ve tried to give a jump and can’t using jumper cables connected to the terminals located under the hood. I have to connect the jumper cables directly to the battery in the trunk in order to jump start another car. Is this normal?

Are the terminals under the hood only for receiving a jump from someone?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
Should be either way. Double check your Owners Manual but I bet it says to only use the terminals under the hood, I don't think they want you jumping directly from the battery, definitely more risk in that. I would follow the factory jump procedure exactly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be either way. Double check your Owners Manual but I bet it says to only use the terminals under the hood, I don't think they want you jumping directly from the battery, definitely more risk in that. I would follow the factory jump procedure exactly.

Slidd, thank you. I’ve tried to use the terminals under the hood twice now to give someone a jump and nothing. I’ll double check the owners manual. I’ve tried wiggling the jumper cables on the posts under the hood to make sure I have a good connection and still nothing.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. It’s not like I’m looking to give someone a jump. Ever since I had my battery go out on my first car I’ve always carried jumper cables. And twice now I’ve been approached by someone with a dead battery asking for a jump and both times the connections under the hood failed to jump someone’s car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
The terminals under the hood should only be used for battery tenders. To jump someone you go right to the battery but don't use the negative terminal. Find a different ground on the body.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
The terminals under the hood should only be used for battery tenders. To jump someone you go right to the battery but don't use the negative terminal. Find a different ground on the body.
Not what the manual says but do what you like.

And I guess if I'm dead I'll take a jump from somebody but I'm not jumping anybody with this car. Just too risky with these electronics.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I was able to give someone a jump start using the under the hood terminals. I didn't feel like getting in the trunk. :rolleyes:

Reactions: gearset807

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I bought one of those small jump packs fits in a carrying case about 4.5" by 7" inches it is the safest way to jump your car or someone else. It won't work if hooked up backwards and you don't risk a short or serge frying any computers in your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts