Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Dodge / SRT8 newcomer here with some questions...

I test drove a 2010 Challenger SRT8 the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. Although it a very nice vehicle, I'm currently more interested in the 392 and have some questions as I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, but the 2010 with super low miles is available to me for ~$35,000. So I want to evaluate whether or not the extra cash for a 2011 will be well spent.

And no knocks against the 2010 and this is subjective, but my largest complaint by far in the 2010 would be the feel from the shifter and clutch. I come from a long line of GM sports cars, last one being an 06 Z06 and am more accustomed to a bit more feel, stiffness, and response in the clutch pedal and shifter...

My question is for those who have driven both the 6.4 and the 6.1, how does the feel and response of the new twin-disc clutch + Tremec 6060 trans (+ new shifter?) in the 2011 compare to the 2010?

Are the suspension changes noticeable between the two?

Anyone in the greater S.F. Bay Area able to nab one at invoice or below? Or have any recommendations for local dealers? I noticed a dealer near me has something like 6 or 7 SRT8's on the lot and or being delivered, but have heard many terrifying things about the dealership -- more so than your typical dealership reputation.

Last question, out of left field... Has anyone ever attempted to tow small trailers with your Challenger? How'd it fair? One attractive feature of the Challenger for me is that it will support a Class II hitch, which would do nicely for me to tow a couple motorcycles to the track and back.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Sean - welcome.

IMHO - The Challenger isn't the safest way to get your bikes to the track.

Towing is not recommended with a 6.4 or the manual-equipped 5.7. I think the other Challengers maximum recommended towing capacity is 1,000 lbs. with a 100 lb. tongue weight.

A pair of cool bikes plus the weight of their trailer is probably going to overload a Challenger.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought a new 06 Z06 & didn't feel at all like it was a stiff clutch.
Great car but it bored me in 6 months & I traded it for a viper.
That clutch felt somewhat stiffer compared to the vette & it was a more
entertaining drive for a variety of reasons .

The ride in the chally with the 392 is like a more refined version of my 69 hurst olds ragtop 455 4spd.

Well worth the premium over the 2010 IMHO for the handling aspects alone besides the power.

Coming from a Z06 you will appreciate the better handling dynamics & smaller rimmed steering feel.

My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I've driven both back to back and;

1) Clutch and shifter felt identical to me. Clutch is pretty light but I find the shifter precise and mechanical.

2) Suspension changes are noticeable. Turn-in is much faster and the suspension is definitely stiffer with more body/ride motion control.

You're in a good spot because you can try them both and decide which you prefer. I rather like the softer ride quality of the 2010 as I don't consider the Challenger a "sports car" but I can understand why some people would want to tighten it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was in the exact same spot a few months ago down in Los Angeles. I test drove both 2010 srt8 and 2011 392 back to back a few times. Unfortunately they were both autos because dealer stock so I can't compare the manual aspect although I bought a manual and love it, but still can't compare it to the 2010 or vette so can't help you there.

As far as everything else though...I went with the 392 hands down. Power and handling were much better. With the new suspension and turn characteristics they feel almost tossable for such a big car. Power wise I was also impressed. Very strong, although I'll say only part of that was fully apparent on the test drive. I got to push the 2010 a bit more, but the 392 I was fairly gentle with. I could still sense the difference. After break in, holy cow does this thing light up!

For dealers and prices I wound up buying from another state (nebraska). I'd never done this before and I was a little freaked out, but it all worked great and I would recommend it and the dealer. They even shipped me the car for $200. If you can, look outside your area, you may be surprised. The economy in SF and LA support some higher prices than other places in the country and it is a 50 state car. CA made me smog it for $40 when I registered it, but that was the only extra cost. Dealer was great too. Pm me if you want more info. I love my 392 6spd. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
you should be able to get a used 2010 for less than $35k...you should be able to get a leftover NEW for $36k-38k

most people have been buying 2011's at invoice or $100-200 above

good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
To me the choice would be simple. How much does 10K mean to you, a little or a lot? If the latter, go with the 2010. Sure the 2011 is quicker with better handeling (At the cost of ride comfort) but is that worth 10 Grand to you? It's your call.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i chose the 392 over $10k difference....$12k would have pushed me into 2010 territory though...it was close!

remember some day when you resell the 392 and the fact it will be 1 year newer will probably get you a few more thousand than the 2010.......so youll get some extra cash back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts