Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The warranty on my car has expired and I'm considering getting an extended warranty. Has anyone bought one after the fact? If so has it been worth the money? Who did you buy from? Would it be worth going through Dodge?

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would be very careful checking out any third party warranty company. I bought an extended warranty on my Firebird Formula at the dealer thought it was from GM but it was an independent company and when my ignition switch went out after the 3 year factory warranty was up I called the warranty service number on the warranty card and they said yes you are covered have the dealer fix it and send us the bill well I never got my $375 back because both the warrant company and the dealer I bought the car from had closed up shop.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Never buy anything but a factory warranty, the third party companies go belly up and you out everything.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
This is absolutely not true, it’s like saying that you shouldn’t buy a Challenger because some of them break. I’ve had several 3rd party warrantys over the years and had zero problems. Just buy from a reputable company, not a fly by night.

A different example, I purchased the factory extended warranty for my 2008 BMW 335i coupe. The main audio controller went out. Not covered and cost me $2000. The front strut upper mounts needed replacement. Not covered and cost me $1000. I was out the $2000 for the warranty and $3000 for the repairs. I guess based on that experience I should say “never never buy any factory warranty.”

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you get an extended warranty make sure it is from FCA and not from a 3rd party. I have had extended warranties before on my GM vehicles, but I was sure to purchase them from a GM dealer. They have come in handy plenty of times when things come up and need to get repaired. One thing I remember is whenever I would bring my vehicle into a dealer, I would tell them that I had a GM warranty. At first the service advisor would scoff and ask if it was from some random 3rd party and I would tell them no it was the GM Major Guard. They were relieved and the whole experience was just like during the normal warranty period. On one vehicle I had a $0 deductible and on my Yukon I have a $100 deductible. I figure if anything costs less than $100 I would be better off just taking care of it myself anyway. I was shopping for an extended warranty for my Challenger that was sold by FCA from some dealership up in the Northeast, but decided against it. Not because I don't think they are worth it, but because I probably won't be keeping the car after my lease was up. The warranty was around $1500 for 4 more years and like 60k miles. The only caveat to buying warranties from OEM is that your current warranty has to still be active before they will issue an extended warranty for your vehicle. If you OEM warranty is expired then you will be forced to go 3rd party.

From what GM and Dodge service advisors have told me, those contracts are a pain in the arse. It is difficult to get things paid for and the company tends to spend a lot of time haggling with the dealer. You have to remember, 3rd party warranty companies are in the business to make money. You don't make money by spending money. So the 3rd party is going to do everything they possibly can to deny payment. The servicing dealer will not release your car until the bill is paid. So while all of this nonsense is going on you are stuck pounding pavement. When I brought my vehicles in with the OEM extended, they gave me a car to drive and once the work was complete I was out the door without a single shred of problems.

I am not saying the extended warranty concept is bad, I am simply saying that 3rd party warranties will give you more trouble than they are worth. You think you might be buying peace of mind, but what you are really buying is a big damn headache. If you are too late to get the OEM warranty, I would take the money you would probably pay for a contract and save it in a car repair fund for later. You won't be able to buy any more peace of mind than that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I generally buy an OEM extended warranty to at least cover the loan term. I've had the warranty pay for itself on 2 out of the last 3 vehicles I've bought it for so to me it's a relatively safe buy. The only one that it didn't was my last challenger which only needed a water pump replacement, never had any other problems with it. I'll still get it with the one I just ordered today though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Typically the cost of the repairs are less than cost of the warranty for that alloted time period. When most people look at the cost of repairs their warranty covered, vs the cost of the warranty itself, usually the cost of the warranty is greater. I called about one last week for my car and they thought they were doing me a favor by only asking $4,000 for an extended warranty. I laughed and said no thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typically the cost of the repairs are less than cost of the warranty for that alloted time period. When most people look at the cost of repairs their warranty covered, vs the cost of the warranty itself, usually the cost of the warranty is greater. I called about one last week for my car and they thought they were doing me a favor by only asking $4,000 for an extended warranty. I laughed and said no thanks.
Yeah 4000 wouldn't be worth the cost

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
406 Posts
I got the extended warranty from Zeigler, a MOPAR dealer, that offers great discounts. Within one week of purchase my wife's VIN was put into the system and showed up at the Dodge dealership here in Knoxville. I had the heater element replaced since. I consider it a good investment given the cost based on what I would have had to pay.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I purchased an extended warranty from Luke (stevewhiteparts on Challengertalk). He beat everyone else's price and was fast and professional. Really nice guy too. The extended warranty coverage showed up on my Dodge website account that same evening. Lots of people recommending Luke in these threads for warranties and parts. That's why I contacted him and very happy I did. Luke gets my highest recommendation!

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
This is absolutely not true, it’s like saying that you shouldn’t buy a Challenger because some of them break. I’ve had several 3rd party warrantys over the years and had zero problems. Just buy from a reputable company, not a fly by night.
Well, decades ago I bought a 3rd party warranty and after about 1 year they went bankrupt, no more warranty and it cost me about $1,500, a lot of money for an extended warranty back then.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been checking around and everyone is extremely high. I'm hoping after the holidays I would have some extra to get something.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I got a 5 year 85,000 mile extended warranty from Dodge. It was like 1,300. I don't know if that's a good deal. With all the issues i've been having on my under 3000 mile car I think i'll make good use of it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a 5 year 85,000 mile extended warranty from Dodge. It was like 1,300. I don't know if that's a good deal. With all the issues i've been having on my under 3000 mile car I think i'll make good use of it.
I have 34,000 miles on my car and most prices I've been quoted $3,000 or more for 75,000 miles

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have 34,000 miles on my car and most prices I've been quoted $3,000 or more for 75,000 miles

For 3,000 I could have had the life time Dodge warranty, but I wasn't sure what will happen in 5 years. Not sure if I should have taken it. The last dodge I had i put 180,000 miles on it and the cost of repairs was too much and not worth the price of the car at that point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty from the dealer when I brought the car.
I went to a different dealer to ask about a part and the lady behind the counter said I only had the 3 years I told her I brought extended and she said not with dodge.

The dealership should be required by law to disclose when it is a 3rd part warranty
I was pissed that it wasn’t a FCA.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
This is cut and pasted from another forum this is the right guy to listen to as he was the one checking the claims versus coverage of these aftermarket warranties.
—————————————————————————————

For a year, I left Nissan and worked as an independent mechanical inspector for various extended warranty companies; it was my job to go to the repair shop where a claim was being submitted and take pictures and assess a cause for the failure and report it to the insurance company, who would make the determination if the claim was covered or not. There are a lot of warranty companies out there outside of the vehicle manufacturers and some are good and some are terrible.You need to make sure you read the fine print of the warranty coverage and know what's covered and what's not. Many plans don't cover seals or damage caused by failed seals, which is a large percentage of the failures that occur; it usually eliminates most automatic transmission failures outside of a hard part failure, which seldom occurs by itself. It also eliminates most turbo and hydraulic system failures, like brake master cylinders and calipers or power steering pumps and gears.
There are also different plans. When I was a tech, Nissan's warranty had a gold plan, gold plus, silver plan, etc. There were different deductibles and some covered a rental vehicle and some didn't. If you put a lot of miles on a vehicle, they usually don't pay off as most don't cover more than 100,000 miles, which most vehicles can last without a lot of major problems these days. As said, it's a gamble either way.

·
Registered
412 Posts
130- Talk to Luke at Steve White Parts and get a quote for a legit Mopar warranty.

After I bought my RT new in 2012, I was ho-hum on getting an extended warranty because I only drive the car in the summer and have very low miles. In spring of 2017 I had the timing chain guide recall work done, which was covered outside my warranty, but they had the car for about a day. I would not have wanted to pay for time consuming work like that without a warranty to cover it.

After counseling from the "old timers" on this forum, I spoke to Luke at Steve White and got a lifetime warranty at a competitive price. Plus, I've got some great tech advice from him as well. Support the dealers who support this forum.

My factory bumper to bumper ran out after 36 months on my 2012 RT. I had a window of time until 48 months to buy an extended warranty. I don't know if those time parameters have changed since then.

When I buy another Mopar, Luke at Steve White will be providing the warranty. I have the highest regard for his Mopar professionalism and supporting us enthusiasts. This from a former GM guy who's RT was the first Mopar in my family.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I just received a quote for 5 years 100k miles (which starts at 36k miles. I'm at like 32k so he said he'll start it next month) and includes all electrical, mechanical including seals & gaskets for $1,976 with ZERO deductible. I'm waiting for the contract so I can read the fine print but they also have a 30 day 100% money back guarantee. I'll report back once I run the fine tooth comb thru the contract.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just received a quote for 5 years 100k miles (which starts at 36k miles. I'm at like 32k so he said he'll start it next month) and includes all electrical, mechanical including seals & gaskets for $1,976 with ZERO deductible. I'm waiting for the contract so I can read the fine print but they also have a 30 day 100% money back guarantee. I'll report back once I run the fine tooth comb thru the contract.
My warranty has expired is why everyone wants to shaft me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts