Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thinking the most bang for the buck modification for my 2010 Challenger Classic R/T - without risking warranty violation - would be Mopar Cat-back high performance exhaust to replace the stock exhaust.

When I was talking to the Dealer about it - he suggested the combo of the Mopar exhaust + performance headers as well. At first I thought...nah...he's upselling me - which he kind of was - but I looked up the price of Mopar performance headers and was surprised they were under $400.

So - I'm wondering if it's worth it to get both, instead of just the cat back exhaust. What will the addition of headers do for me in terms of HP - and is it worth it? The alternative is just the cat back exhaust alone.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I would look at solo-performance exhaust. There having a group buy right now and for the money that's the best bang for the buck on the exhaust. I don't no about headers but the exhaust is way better than the mopar one

·
Registered
299 Posts
I thought headers would be the biggest bang for the buck?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought headers would be the biggest bang for the buck?
Well - you may be right - because the Mopar cat back performance exhaust is like $1K or so - while the headers are more like $400 or so.

The Mopar exhaust systems are really made by Borla I was told. I think optimally both the headers + cat back exhaust would be the best together - but either individually would increase HP.

Question for you Salty - what color is your R/T? Looks very cool.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Stratogeezer - Thanks! It's a B5 Blue, nothing special just the avatar effects.

I think I would go with the headers first. Have you thought about keeping the stock exhaust and either deleting the resonators or add a blastin bob's (BB) glass pack kit. If your car is an auto then I think there may be drone issues reported by some, but I don't think there many problems with the 6 speeds. I also don't think they could say the BB kit would invalidate your warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stratogeezer - Thanks! It's a B5 Blue, nothing special just the avatar effects.

I think I would go with the headers first. Have you thought about keeping the stock exhaust and either deleting the resonators or add a blastin bob's (BB) glass pack kit. If your car is an auto then I think there may be drone issues reported by some, but I don't think there many problems with the 6 speeds. I also don't think they could say the BB kit would invalidate your warranty.
Cool idea - I hate to toss those new pipes - and if I could get enough power from the header mod alone - and eliminate the resonators (or replace with BB's or similar) - that would save me a ton o' money. This car has less than 900 miles on it.

is the stock exhaust limited in any way, except for the resonators? In other words is it smaller diameter or does it have any other restrictions besides the resonators?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Those headers are they long tube or shorties? If you plan on adding a supercharger you will be better off adding long tubes. Also the long tubes will let the engine flow a lot better. I'am looking at getting long tubes myself.

renfrick1-you are also looking at the Solo exhaust? Been watching the thread on it and it sounds really good. I definitely like the sound of it when you jump on it. Do you have a R/T or SRT? This would be my best mod for the money if we get 25% off. Let me know if your gonna get it. I'm waiting on my taxes so hopefully they will be better than what I think.

Kevin

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had to look back through some of your old posts to see what tranny you had and it looks like a 6 speed to me, right? The 6 speed has a very decent exhaust. I think I would try the headers with a BB resonator delete kit first. The automatics have larger suitcase style mufflers and the resonators to reduce the MDS (8 to 4 cylinder) sound difference and I think they are more restrictive.

Cool idea - I hate to toss those new pipes - and if I could get enough power from the header mod alone - and eliminate the resonators (or replace with BB's or similar) - that would save me a ton o' money. This car has less than 900 miles on it.

is the stock exhaust limited in any way, except for the resonators? In other words is it smaller diameter or does it have any other restrictions besides the resonators?

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,121 Posts
Stratogeezer....
Exactly what headers is the dealer suggesting?
The SRT shorties will not work with a standard R/T exhaust nor will the Mopar long tubes. They are both larger diameter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i'm feeling lost--mopar offers long tube headers for the chally for under $400? can i get a part number..?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to look back through some of your old posts to see what tranny you had and it looks like a 6 speed to me, right? The 6 speed has a very decent exhaust. I think I would try the headers with a BB resonator delete kit first. The automatics have larger suitcase style mufflers and the resonators to reduce the MDS (8 to 4 cylinder) sound difference and I think they are more restrictive.
Right - I've got the 6 speed manual trans.

I like the BB resonators - I wonder if Mopar makes something equivalent?

I also like the idea of not throwing away the entire (nearly new) exhaust system....and going with the Mopar Headers (long tube sounds best) and either Mopar or BB resonators.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
i'm feeling lost--mopar offers long tube headers for the chally for under $400? can i get a part number..?
STAY AWAY FROM THOSE AS THEY ARE FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY AND HAVE NO CATS AND IF YOU NEED TO PASS EMISSIONS YOUR ARE UP A CREEK WITH OUT A PADDLE...

If you go with LT Headers get high flow cats also for the cat back get it with 3" pipes you will love it and it will lighten your wallet quite a bit LT headers and cat aren't cheap, also you will need to get a tune at that point because you will lean out...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Resonated X-pipe

Hello,

Have you considered using a resonated X pipe part# 11386 or the larger 12468. It will give the best of both world the performance from the X-pipe and the resonator to help with drone in the cab. If you are going to go with LT's you will need some sound muffling. Lt's will make the exhaust sound very aggressive. Also consider removing the huge stock mufflers with some 4" round Magnapaks Part# 10416.

You also stated that MOPAR has LT's for under $400.00 that is a terrific price.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions or for low pricing.

Regards,
Don
JDP Motorsports
888-308-6007

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Folks - my bad on stating the Mopar headers were only $400. I just got off the phone with the Mopar Superstore (they're good on the phone btw)- and we're looking at approximately $1000 + shipping for the long tube headers.

AND - the those Mopar headers require that you replace the Catalytic converter - with an aftermarket one to make them fit.

So he (the guy at the Mopar SS) suggested I simply START with the Mopar Cat-back performance exhaust (part #P5155753) - and see what kind of power/sound I get from that alone first - then in a year or two - put the headers on if I wanted to.

Appreciate all the info - you folks are REALLY helping me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stratogeezer....
Exactly what headers is the dealer suggesting?
The SRT shorties will not work with a standard R/T exhaust nor will the Mopar long tubes. They are both larger diameter.
Yea - good question on which headers the Dealer was suggesting specifically...our conversation was brief (he's the service manager) - so we didn't get into the detail.

Regardless - I believe I'm back to simply getting the Mopar Cat-back system put on (which he did say was really a Boria) - and be done with it.....and hold off on the headers this time.

I have a Mopar CAI alread installed - so that plus the Cat-back will do me for now. With the $ I save on not getting the headers - I may get a Predator soon instead - as flashing a new tune on there does not void my warranty.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I already have the solo exhaust. And love it. Way better and cheaper than anything out there. And no drone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts