Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2022 challenger rt. Like it. Best 60 time i get is a 4.9.

I notice i get a ton of spin when i put pedal to the medal. Im upset that the RT came with 245s on 8" wheels. I was hoping to keep the 8s on the front and go with 9s or 10.5s with 295s or 305s on the back. Nitto nt555 so i can take that speed im losing on the wheel spin.

Somthing tells me with better grip in the back and better throttle response i could be hitti g some great times. Like constant 4.8s 4.9s or even some 4.6 or 7s without messing with the factory tune. Just better traction and knowing how to use it.

Are my expectations too high for the RT?

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Not sure about the 10.5' but you can go with 9" wheels and 275's with no modification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accelerator (foot) control is very important
Im doing the best foot control i can. There is just a natrual spin from the amount of torque to tire size and weight. Best thing i can do is improve grip to acess
Not sure about the 10.5' but you can go with 9" wheels and 275's with no modification.
Definitely want wider than that. Im sure itll handle just dont know if i need offsets or not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,906 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) If you look at Reproduction wheels, you will see offsets that work. A 315 works for many, but often requires some trimming or massaging (with a rubber mallet) of the fender liner. People go to 305s for this reason. A 10.5" or 11" should work with correct offsets. IE:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Alloy wheel

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Tire Synthetic rubber

Offset may differ slightly depending on manufacturer
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) If you look at Reproduction wheels, you will see offsets that work. A 315 works for many, but often requires some trimming or massaging (with a rubber mallet) of the fender liner. People go to 305s for this reason. A 10.5" or 11" should work with correct offsets. IE:
View attachment 1058675
View attachment 1058676
Offset may differ slightly depending on manufacturer
View attachment 1058677
A Guy
These are just what im looking for. Wider wheels that dont look off innthe back. Id figure a 315 would be too much but a 305 or 295 will fit great and catch.

Yep, stock tires are not considered “shoes”. More like "slippers" :ROFLMAO:
Yeah. I have no idea what dodge was thinking when they did that.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger 1320
72 Posts
For sure the factory 245s on the R/T's are terrible! Although if you're running an automatic chances are you're also stuck with that pesky open differential which doesn't help (assuming it's a 5.7). When I had my R/T, I went for a set of demon replicas (275 up front and 305 in the back) with Atturos on them. While I don't exactly recommend those tires, the wheel setup and such did help a bit with handling and launches (as well as give it a meaner stance).

(Pic of the R/T with the setup)

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
For sure the factory 245s on the R/T's are terrible! Although if you're running an automatic chances are you're also stuck with that pesky open differential which doesn't help (assuming it's a 5.7). When I had my R/T, I went for a set of demon replicas (275 up front and 305 in the back) with Atturos on them. While I don't exactly recommend those tires, the wheel setup and such did help a bit with handling and launches (as well as give it a meaner stance).

View attachment 1058716
"pesky open differential"

Pesky? It's the Devil's spawn. :(

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack Shaker
41 Posts
So if you don't mind a bit of poke, you might be able to get away with a 315/35ZR20 on a 20x11 on the rear. I'd try and find something with a lower offset than mine though. I went with a +22mm offset partly because that was the lowest offset I could get on the wheels I bought. Maybe a +15 or +10mm offset or be prepared to perform a little blunt force modification to the wheel well.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

• Helpful
Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 1058716
I like that setup. I have an 8 speed auto RT. I think i. Going to do with the 295s on the back. And keep my 245s on front. Cause. I think thoes 245s on front will handle just fine.

But once i put the. Good quality fat shoes on the back. I think i can get that car moving off the line. I wanna do a 2500 rpm launch and catch the ground and beat the stock 60 time just by changing the rears i know it can be done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like that setup. I have an 8 speed auto RT. I think i. Going to do with the 295s on the back. And keep my 245s on front. Cause. I think thoes 245s on front will handle just fine.

But once i put the. Good quality fat shoes on the back. I think i can get that car moving off the line. I wanna do a 2500 rpm launch and catch the ground and beat the stock 60 time just by changing the rears i know it can be done.
Don't know how much is different from 2016 to 2022 under the car. I run 245 up front on 8" & the back are 20x10 Offset +20 with 295/40R20 Tires.
Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
703 Posts
Don't know how much is different from 2016 to 2022 under the car. I run 245 up front on 8" & the back are 20x10 Offset +20 with 295/40R20 Tires.
That is the perfect set up for the rear but others have gone 305/40/20 with a +20 offset with no rubbing.

If you want to go a little wider, you can go with 20 x 11 with a +21 offset with 315/35/20 with no rubbing but the tire will exceed a little and you will need to heat and press the wheel well liner. Just a heads up(y)
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Reactions: Stone9797

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is the perfect set up for the rear but others have gone 305/40/20 with a +20 offset with no rubbing.

If you want to go a little wider, you can go with 20 x 11 with a +21 offset with 315/35/20 with no rubbing but the tire will exceed a little and View attachment 1058800
you will need to heat and press the wheel well liner. Just a heads up(y)
Thanks, may consider it. Pretty happy with what I got for now anyway.

How are thoes 295s treating you on your launches?
I don't really race mine. They are Pirelli p zero summer tires, car is 5.7 Hemi M6.
I will say that when I do give it hell it launches really well with maybe just a little chirp then hooks & goes.

Love that license plate! Gadsden flag rocks!
Thanks. We love it too. It gets two reactions, thumbs up or middle finger. More thumbs up though.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Thanks. We love it too. It gets two reactions, thumbs up or middle finger. More thumbs up though.
You are in the South/Midwest Brother. To He!! with the other ones. Probably "imports" anyway! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Stone9797
1 - 20 of 21 Posts