Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post.

A very kind neighbor of mine has offered to sell me his 2012 v6 for a great price.

It has been sitting for a year but has been regularly started, ran, and revved.

The reason why it has been sitting is because the power steering went out, the pump replacement was quoted around $1500 from Dodge and the owner hasn't needed the vehicle.

I guess what I'm seeking is a good run down of the best options for diagnosis and repair before I take it in. Furthermore any suggestions on other maintenance on a sitting but running vehicle before I put the rubber on the road.

Even with a $1500 bill for full replacement this would be an amazing deal.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
131 Posts
As long as ot isn't your primary vehicle, and you're not being put out too much do it, if it was like $10k I'd say no, like $3 or $4k sure thing

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
345 Posts
I was going to trash the dealers for an insane upcharge, but looks like the pump is $1200, of course you can get it much cheaper through other sites.

Anywho, sitting for a year? Change the oil, make sure the tires are not flat spotted, wiper blades, maybe change the battery. I would not worry about much else.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,055 Posts
Duralast New Power Steering Pump AAEHP1100F
662.00 made by Dorman what I got for my SXT works fine Brand New not a Refurbished and No Core Needed.
With Labor was about another 275 plus the Special Fluid you have to use by Mopar.

I was going to trash the dealers for an insane upcharge, but looks like the pump is $1200, of course you can get it much cheaper through other sites.

Anywho, sitting for a year? Change the oil, make sure the tires are not flat spotted, wiper blades, maybe change the battery. I would not worry about much else.
Get all Fluids done Trans Flush With what you save on the Duralast Power Steering Pump use that for the Flush and Refill with Filter, Rear Lube Change as well That gas in a Tank for a Year not good Run 89 non Ethanol to flush the fuel. Check tires for Dry Rot / Flat spots as mentioned....

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
When I got my Pump They had a 20% off deal if your order was over 120.00 saved me over 120.00 with that discount special.

I forgot also check the Pads and Rotors for wear if they are worn I can vouch for using the Powerstop Z17 Kit dramatic improvement on Pads and Rotors Quiet Smooth.
If you got pay pal you can get the pump, on time in bi weekly payments or 6 month no interest I believe same for Brakes from CarID one of our Vendors. So it makes it easier
on you. Just go slowly on check out and choose which works... Best of Luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,110 Posts
the other thing to be aware of is if there was debris from a failed pump - that could affect the power steering rack.

that's another point to consider for potential costs if replacing the EHS pump doesn't solve the problem.

I'd also investigate if the alternator recall was done- this turned up on many '12 - '14 models

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yes Run the Vin on here for recalls if any you can get them addressed at no charge just contact local dealer and schedule there is a ALT recall btw as mentioned.
ALT Recalls actually from 11 up to 2014 had mine done last year along with Air Bag and Seat Harness and Door Handles Just check the VIN first Maybe go ahead and replace the Serpentine Belt as well not that expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts