Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

In September, I purchased a 2011 Mustang GT... amazing car. However, I (and many many others) are experiencing some pretty bad clutch and manual transmission problems. In a nutshell, the MT82 Getrag (made in China for Ford) has proved extremely problematic. In particular, grinding during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts first when cold.... and eventually all the time. I have 3000 miles and I'm on my 3rd flywheel and clutch assemblies and 2nd transmission. They have also been unable to correct my clutch which went from amazing and progressive in its engagement to... literally... on/off making launches from 1st a jerky jolting experience. I have to admit, Ford has been great. But they seem unable to repair this car.

I'm frustrated as all hell at this point and I want out. You can pick up a Challenger RT Classic with 6-speed for $10k off right now which might absorb a lot of the loss. My questions for you all are:

I know no cars are perfect, but what are the major common issues 2010 Challenger 6-speed owners are contending with? Anything major that Dodge hasn't addressed to your satisfaction? Is there anything I should look out for when shopping? I've read about some rocker panel cracks and ceiling liner drooping... but anything MAJOR?

Thanks for reading guys.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That sucks about your mustang.. my friend bought the new 5.0 as well. Needless to say its a blast to drive. I suggest a test drive of an RT or an SRT 8. I have heard little problems with the RT. You will notice the added wieght gain when you drive these cars but the styling more than makes up for it. As far as the wieght gain mods always help that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The only major issue is the wheel-hop issue that causes the rear-end to whine. Easy fix for that is the Hop-not kits that is available. Helps with take off as well.

When looking for a RT, look for one with the Super Track Pack. It will make the car handle better, still not as good as the 5.0, but it is a nice compromise between handling and comfort.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Some might have a wheel hop problem but I have never experienced it before or after I sunercharged the car. But I have the factory tires on the car and now my big and only problem is traction

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
some cars have experienced engine stalling. few cars but it still exists.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can understand your frustration. Couple of recommendations:

1. Lemon law your current car and have Ford replace it with an auto 5.0.
2. We love our Challenger. There are pro's and con's as to the auto vs. the manual. We chose the auto and it runs great. A tune really wakes them up. Just like the 2011 Mustangs, the auto produces better 1/4 mile times.
3. Aftermarket for the Challenger R/T is much more limited than the Mustang. Not as much R&D, parts available, or gear heads who are pushing the limits.

That all said, I would choose the Mustang over the Challenger. It is a better performing car. That doesn't mean the Challenger isn't a great car as well. As mentioned, we really love our's and it had been impressive. I have a long list of stuff I plan to do with it and the aftermarket parts that are available aren't too expensive. Much less than the Mustang for sure.

As mentioned, drive both the manual and auto. The auto will "feel" slower and won't sound as good but don't let that deceive you.

One last thing, the Challenger is a great looking car. IMO the best looking of the 3 pony cars. Not sure if that helped but hope it offers some perspective from a owner of both cars. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
389 Posts
We have both cars in the family; 2010 Challenger SRT8 auto (with mods), and a 2011 Mustang 5.0 auto (stock). Both are great, but there are some differences. The Challenger is big, comfortable, and the better "highway cruiser" IMO. I personally like the looks and styling over the 5.0, as well as the feel on the road (I drive mostly highway - its a very powerful car and you feel it). The 5.0 auto gives a lighter feel while driving (obviously), and corners like its on rails - its fun to drive around town and on shorter road trips.

Test drive a Challenger in both auto and stick to see what you like; compare the R/T and SRT8 as well - the Super Track Pack is a really good option package on the R/T, especially in the handling department. I like the extra power of the 6.1 and other enhancements it somes with stock (suspension, Brembo brakes, etc); I like it even better after the mods. Test drive a 5.0 auto if you haven't already - we've had zero problems with ours, the auto isn't lacking at all in performance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As others have said, check you Lemon-Laws(they vary state to state). You don't have to purchase a Mustang if Ford chooses to take it back, they may offer to just buy it back for the purchase price less some $$ based on when you first reported the problem. I had an R/T that was Lemon-Lawed and I received all my $$ back less($800) but I chose to purchase another Challenger(SRT8) the second time.

·
Banned
557 Posts
New owner of a 6-speed RT and wanted to say I love it. When I did my comparisons I was mainly between the Camaro SS and the RT, both with sticks. Would have loved to bump up to the SRT but my budget was the limiting factor. The Mustang never appealed because I don't like the looks enough, plus I've never had great luck with Ford.

I am thrilled with my decision. For me its about the retro styling, having something not many here have, an EXCELLENT ride that I could take across the country, literally, yet a serious street machine when I want to have fun.

Only two issues I've heard about with the sticks is the whine/wheel hop already addressed and something I haven't had an issue with and also the skip shift feature. I think most cars have this where it forces you from 1st to 4th after a certain speed and rpm. Easily "fixed" with a $20 wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've read the 6 speed Tremec has had problems in the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger. That being said my R/T is an early build (Oct. 2008) and I've had zero problems in 2.5 years (with the transmission and the car as a whole... no differential whine here either). The 1-2 shift was a little notchy at first but even that went away after a couple thousand miles.

I've only experienced wheel-hop once, but then again I don't race mine. Mine is essentially stock - just an SRT intake with K&N drop-in and full synthetic 5W20 (if you even want to count oil as non-stock). I don't plan on any engine mods, plenty of power for me already. I am putting the SRT springs/struts/shocks on mine once the weather warms up, otherwise I'm leaving well-enough alone. I won't handle as good as a Track Pack GT, of course, but still very good for a 2 ton car (I've driven a Challenger SRT8 6-speed since buying my R/T). From what I've read the Super Track Pack R/Ts handle much better than the soft, standard R/T suspension but sits too high for my taste.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Personally I wouldnt advise that the challenger is much better. I've owned mine for a little over a year and the transmission synchros went out and it took them over a month to repair them. Since then 2nd gear is hard to get into and doesn't feel right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts