Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well like the topic says I am considering making a trade up. I am kicking around 2 options of either putting a whipple on the scat or trading into a hellcat. When I consider it, it seems like just trading into a hellcat would be a better decision as its factory setup with the supercharger. I guess my question here is about a year ago it seemed really easy to get a great deal on a hellcat. Is that still true today. I was seeing guys walking off the lot with brand new 2016 models in 2017 for huge discounts. Has that ship sailed? Any buying advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Trade in as opposed to modding. The cost of the supercharger and supporting mods you really need to do more then make up for the initial higher cost of the hellcat.

·
Registered
14,526 Posts
You can probably still find those deals, cars.com right now is still showing 17 brand new 2016 Hellcats available and some of those I'm sure you could buy in the $50's. I'd definitely go that route over modding anything.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am kicking the can around on this one, because my 2015 scat pack is worth low 30's it looks like.... and a hellcat is still 55k ish (providing i get a deal), supercharger and forged pistons 10k providing I do all the labor myself (automotive technician is my trade)..... It would still be a significant difference in cost between upgrading to a hellcat and supercharging the scat. Things like the adaptive suspension and bigger brakes though are a pull and the fact its all factory.... Having a hard decision with this one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can forge out the motor, get a tune, get a blower... and still not make up the difference, and be at almost the same total investment, even if you do your own work.

I’m not a tech, and I have no idea what I’m doing. However, I’m thankful that these cars are super easy to work on inasmuch as the suspension et al. Suffice to say, that if you only compute the parts cost, the Hellcat at a current discount is a great deal, and comes with a warranty. For someone like me that can’t currently do my own tuning and motor work, it’s an even better deal.

To each his own. If you plan on modding like crazy, it may inform the decision. If you want to buy a better platform and work from there (time savings, potentially the same cost, and much of the depreciation has been sucked up already for the ‘16s and ‘17s,) then it might make more sense to trade up.

I plan on hanging onto the scat for the next 15-20 years. If not for that, and having a car to learn on, I would have left it alone and traded it in next year. If you know you’re not hanging on to this car for more than the next five before you’re going to want to trade in, I’d say go for the hellcat.

Cheers,

Chuck

·
Registered
988 Posts
I traded up my Scat Pack (2016) for a Hellcat (2017) within 6 months of buying it. I am a 40 year A Tech who could easily do all the work myself. I thought about the warranty more then anything else. The Hellcat is a whole lot more car then the Scatpack. I don’t want the Scatpack guys to get mad at me. I always say best bang for the buck. But you can never make a Scatpack into a Hellcat. No tuning worries either.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Well like the topic says I am considering making a trade up. I am kicking around 2 options of either putting a whipple on the scat or trading into a hellcat. When I consider it, it seems like just trading into a hellcat would be a better decision as its factory setup with the supercharger. I guess my question here is about a year ago it seemed really easy to get a great deal on a hellcat. Is that still true today. I was seeing guys walking off the lot with brand new 2016 models in 2017 for huge discounts. Has that ship sailed? Any buying advice would be appreciated.

Generally if the factory offers a higher performance version of the "same" car you are money ahead in the long run by just upgrading to the higher performance model.

Sure, there are exceptions; If the factory high performance model commands a substantial price premium that can make the trade up a harder to decision to make.

While the Scat Pack engine is a good engine -- one reason why I elected to buy a 2018 R/T Scat Pack vs. a lesser model is my research had me convinced that while the 5.7l engine is a good engine the 6.4l engine in the R/T SP is even better -- it is not the same engine as what comes in the HC. The HC engine is specifically designed with its higher output in mind. While you could install better pistons, rods, even a crank, there's the valve gear, the block, the fact the intake charge cooling is integrated into the car, and so on.

As an aside, after just 2 months I traded in my 2018 R/T SP for a 2018 Hellcat, so you are not alone in wanting to trade in a perfectly good R/T SP for a Hellcat. I wanted HC performance but I knew that trying to wring HC like performance out of the R/T SP was a perilous (and expensive) undertaking and one not likely to deliver acceptable results.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Hellcat

I did the trade up and glad I did.
I went from a 2016 R/T/SHAKER PLUS to a 2016 HELLCAT.
I did the deal in 2017, the cat is a left over 2016 [ brand new] and the mark down was awesome >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also traded from a Scat Pack to a Hellcat. Haven't looked back. Another difference is the transmission, the A8 in the Hellcat is designed for more power.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Cat trade

What's really nice for me owning a HELLCAT is that most any thing after my 2016 cat is waaaaay to expensive for me, DEMON or the RED EYE or any Wide Body cat.
So no need for me to look down the road for my next toy. >:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the deal in 2017, the cat is a left over 2016 [ brand new] and the mark down was awesome /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
Did you write a post on your upgrade experience? I'd be curious to hear more about it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I also upgraded from a Scat Pack and am now on Hellcat number 2 and haven't looked back. Now my warped brain is trying to figure out how to upgrade my 2017 Grand Cherokee to a Trackhawk. As much as I want one they are way pricey. Our local dealer just got hailed on though, so I might buy one with damage. I know a great PDR guy so feel confident I could get one fixed for a few thousand bucks. I would be tempted if they offered me something like 20k off of one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I kicked this around too. I have an 17 A8 scat. If I keep the scat, I will be getting that cheap 6.2 block and selling my 6.4 block online. I could probably get half back on the core. All this only makes sense if you do your own work. If not the motor, blower install and tuning would probably add another $3k-$4k to the price. Plus bye bye warranty. A HC would probably get the hot ticket. Then you are also a pulley/tune away from 800 to the tire...

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
IMO, it boils down to finances and how bad is the lust for a HC.

Mods are fun, but I'm sure that you realize that all the mod money spent, is for your pleasure only. You'll get zero of it back if you do ever sell the car.

If you trade for a HC, it will always have the value of a HC, whatever that may be at the time. Hard to beat what FCA has achieved with the factory FI motor, and the complete package of the HC.

Myself, if I had that lust for HC power, I would go with a HC. I thought this over when I ordered my '16 SP, and I guess that my desire to have a HC just isn't that big. It was a thought, but not a lust, so I went with the SP, and have been just happy as heck with it in every way.

Best of luck deciding

·
Registered
102 Posts
Talking about doing the short block swap and everything else, it also means you’re still short a whole bunch of other things like-
Brakes
Adaptive suspension
Oil cooler in line with the front fascia
The 8HP90 trans
Fuel system

I’m on the mod path because I want to learn and do on this car, and haven’t had that experience before. But that is also time and money that while I’m lucky to have, I also realize it’s a luxury to spend both that way.

Someone else brought up finances. Without presuming in anyone else’s, it might be important not just for the trade in value, but in the ability to finance the Hellcat as an upgrade without having to either cough up cash on demand or finance upgrade parts that face significant depreciation on purchase, and a much more intense markup on sale.

If I had it to do over, I probably would have just traded it in rather than modding, waited a while longer until I changed jobs, and then modded on the Hellcat until I was happier with it later. To each his own- only you know what your disposable income and time look like, and frankly, I think those tend to be the biggest factor after whether or not owning either is a desired endstate.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Get the Cat and don't look back. You don't have to go with a new one either. Great deals on low milage used Cats out there.

Modded my '15 SRT only because I wanted an N/A 426 stroker. Otherwise, a used Cat would have been around the same expense for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the deal in 2017, the cat is a left over 2016 [ brand new] and the mark down was awesome >:)
Just curious: if you drove an R/T Plus now, do you think it would feel "slow"? Has the Hellcat ruined you for anything that's not a Hellcat? :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've begun considering the upgrade myself from my 2010 R/T to a 2016 Hellcat. Difficult to think of modding when this is a factory built beast with no modding (for me) required.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Not a Plus Compaired to a CAT

Just curious: if you drove an R/T Plus now, do you think it would feel "slow"? Has the Hellcat ruined you for anything that's not a Hellcat? :)
Remember this is just for me, not beating up on anyone's car: :domotwak:
Are you kidding me? Do I think the [ my]gone now R/T SHAKER PLUS with the 5.7 A8 is slow compared to my HELLCAT?
OH HELLCAT YAH
The Cat is just a frikkin riot to drive, long trips or short, you look for an excuse just to take it around the block.
A short trip in a [ regular car ] takes twice as long in a HELLCAT just because you take the long way just to drive it.
It was Lust at first site with the Cat.
Such a sad thing is that my R/T, I ordered the way I wanted, great car but not a HELLCAT >:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts