Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
  1. Generally if the factory offers a higher performance version of the "same" car you are money ahead in the long run by just upgrading to the higher performance model.

Sure, there are exceptions; If the factory high performance model commands a substantial price premium that can make the trade up a harder to decision to make.

While the Scat Pack engine is a good engine -- one reason why I elected to buy a 2018 R/T Scat Pack vs. a lesser model is my research had me convinced that while the 5.7l engine is a good engine the 6.4l engine in the R/T SP is even better -- it is not the same engine as what comes in the HC. The HC engine is specifically designed with its higher output in mind. While you could install better pistons, rods, even a crank, there's the valve gear, the block, the fact the intake charge cooling is integrated into the car, and so on.

As an aside, after just 2 months I traded in my 2018 R/T SP for a 2018 Hellcat, so you are not alone in wanting to trade in a perfectly good R/T SP for a Hellcat. I wanted HC performance but I knew that trying to wring HC like performance out of the R/T SP was a perilous (and expensive) undertaking and one not likely to deliver acceptable results.
    Hey how did you make that trade happen with you just getting in the scat ? Because I will so the same if so . I wouldn’t mind more power

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

1. Hey how did you make that trade happen with you just getting in the scat ? Because I will so the same if so . I wouldn’t mind more power
Took the Scat Pack to a local CarMax and got a hard offer for the car. Decided rather than sell the car to CarMax and then have to get a ride to the 50+ mile distance dealer to try to buy the Hellcat -- and I wasn't sure I'd buy it -- I decided to trade the car in.

Drove the Scat Pack to the dealer with the Hellcats.

Picked out the Hellcat I wanted.

The dealer agreed to give me what CarMax had offered and traded in the Scat Pack for a portion of the purchase price of the Hellcat. I had my checkbook with me and wrote a check to make up the difference.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Took the Scat Pack to a local CarMax and got a hard offer for the car. Decided rather than sell the car to CarMax and then have to get a ride to the 50+ mile distance dealer to try to buy the Hellcat -- and I wasn't sure I'd buy it -- I decided to trade the car in.

The dealer agreed to give me what CarMax had offered and traded in the Scat Pack for a portion of the purchase price of the Hellcat. I had my checkbook with me and wrote a check to make up the difference.
Depending on what state your buying from, there can be a sizable tax credit/savings when trading in.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I did similar as Rockster.
traded in my wifes ubber low mile, mint cond R/T on a new cat. We kept my scatpack, which now moves to the wife for her weekend fun car.
The trade in value was a far better deal than I would have gotten having sold the car outright and then bought a cat. The difference was substantial. With the trade and $20k cash down we came out only a couple hundred more a month in payment and surprisingly no bump in insurance.
If you can make the finances work, just go do it. you will not regret it!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm in CA. There's no tax savings. Anytime. For any reason. Ever.
I understand... I'm from MA.

The trade in tax credit is one of the very few benefits that MA provides....for now.
MA is notorious for blindly following CA's lead on emissions, taxes and crazy policies in general.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I Florida and back in New York we got the sales tax savings which at $25/35K is a huge savings. Plus who wants to deal with all the tire kickers out there. Most of them are just lonely looking for some chitchat.

·
Registered
3 Posts

ok I see, plus you have to have very good credit to do that right ? ?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts