Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me recently that Mustangs look dated after like 2-3 years.

I think out of intention, or laziness, or lack or R&D funding, Dodge has done us all a great favor by keeping the basic design of the Challenger consistent these past ten years. Unless you are really a "Car Person" the detail differences are really quite subtle. The car, from 2008 to 2018, is an "instant classic" reminiscent of the 1970-71' Challenger, arguably the best looking muscle car of the early golden era (along with notable others.)

So in ten years, my R/T will look like a modern classic muscle car, and a Mustang of the same year will look like a 10 year old Mustang, which seem to, as a car, have an emphasis on being "new and current" and having the "latest and greatest" adhering to styling trends that make them look more like a euro sports car than an American muscle machine at times.

That being said I do think the 05-14' mustangs look pretty good, as do earlier modern Camaro's before they turned into transformers, so those cars in the years with the retro look may have a rising stock in the years ahead as well... But the Challengers are ALL there from day one.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yup 100% agree. I've loved the look of the Challenger since the first time I saw an 'upcoming car from Dodge' article about it back in '08 or something. And I love that look to this very day on the most current model year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Completely agree. I bought a used 09 RT because it fit my budget and had all my must haves. I have run out of fingers and toes counting the folks that have mistakenly thought I bought it new.

They are timeless looking

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
I totally agree. I knew when I bought my 2009 SRT that its look would be timeless.

It's interesting to see what owners of classic MOPAR muscle cars were looking for in a new Challenger, back in 2006. Check out minute 16:13 of this video. Dodge met their expectations and then some!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I couldn't agree more. It's the only modern muscle car on the market. As for the other makers, my daughter has a 2011 Mustang and I have to say, I think Ford got the styling right on that version.... they have since lost the vision however and to my eyes the modern Camaro never had it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Look at the VW Beatle. For 60 years it carried through year after year with the same design. VW realized it had a winning design so why screw with it. It concentrated on internal changes to keep the car up to date, a little more power, better brakes, better seats, etc. A good idea that Challenger seems to be paralleling. Coincidence? heh,heh.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What can we expect when it moves to the next platform?

Bob
Well, that is the big question. I guess it will have to change eventually...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are the newer ones from the past few years a tiny bit shorter than the ones that came out around 2008 or so? I thought the older ones had a bit more of the original style of the 70s than the newer shorter ones...though I don't know when they shortened them by a couple inches or something like that. I think it happened when they went with a new chassis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Decades ago, when Detroit changed models every year, Mercedes-Benz was keeping their models basically the same from year to year, only making functional improvements. The result was that owners could sell their used cars for higher value, because they still looked fresh. This resulted in a loyal customer base that came back for more.

I don't know if Dodge is doing this intentionally, but it may have the same effect.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
Are the newer ones from the past few years a tiny bit shorter than the ones that came out around 2008 or so? I thought the older ones had a bit more of the original style of the 70s than the newer shorter ones...though I don't know when they shortened them by a couple inches or something like that. I think it happened when they went with a new chassis.
the '15+ is slightly longer - the optical illusion is that the front (and especially rear) bumper "shelf" is shortened when viewed in side view. The front and rear fascias have more curve to them so that's where it makes the overall length slightly longer - the centers bow out a bit more.

The contours from the side view took some of the 'blocky' look out of the bumper areas on the '15, plus the lower rear quarters and the lower black valance are curved / contoured and give that illusion of less mass.

If you look at a lighter body color, its more apparent vs. looking at a black body color that would blend everything in.

I asked this when all the Dodge folks were in Portland in July 2014 when they were hosting the press previews of the '15 models that weren't released for sale yet to the public. This was held at PIR, which was running the weekly cruise-ins that was taking place the same time the Dodge preview was going on.

I noticed the new styling looked as if the car was physically shorter, and asked that same question - got the answer from the Dodge folks. Two of the stylists (Ryan Nagode was one of the stylists that I got introduced to) were at the press preview as well, which was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
There is another car out there that changes slowly over over the years....

Porsche.

·
Registered
55 Posts
the '15+ is slightly longer - the optical illusion is that the front (and especially rear) bumper "shelf" is shortened when viewed in side view. The front and rear fascias have more curve to them so that's where it makes the overall length slightly longer - the centers bow out a bit more.

The contours from the side view took some of the 'blocky' look out of the bumper areas on the '15, plus the lower rear quarters and the lower black valance are curved / contoured and give that illusion of less mass.

If you look at a lighter body color, its more apparent vs. looking at a black body color that would blend everything in.

I asked this when all the Dodge folks were in Portland in July 2014 when they were hosting the press previews of the '15 models that weren't released for sale yet to the public. This was held at PIR, which was running the weekly cruise-ins that was taking place the same time the Dodge preview was going on.

I noticed the new styling looked as if the car was physically shorter, and asked that same question - got the answer from the Dodge folks. Two of the stylists (Ryan Nagode was one of the stylists that I got introduced to) were at the press preview as well, which was pretty cool.

Wow, well that's a much different answer than I was expecting. It's pretty neat you had the chance to meet Ryan and ended up with all the information of what was actually done.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts

That is weird those Dodge guys said that because I have physically measured both the 2014 fascias and the 2015+ fascias off the cars and the '15 is shorter "depth" both in the front end and the back end! Almost an inch each. Yes it's true the rear kicks up more in the rear lower valence but not by much. Lot of tricks added to make it look less bulky. One was decreasing the height of the headlight area and rounding off fairly sharp corners on the 08-14 models.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
It occurred to me recently that Mustangs look dated after like 2-3 years.

I think out of intention, or laziness, or lack or R&D funding, Dodge has done us all a great favor by keeping the basic design of the Challenger consistent these past ten years. Unless you are really a "Car Person" the detail differences are really quite subtle. The car, from 2008 to 2018, is an "instant classic" reminiscent of the 1970-71' Challenger, arguably the best looking muscle car of the early golden era (along with notable others.)

So in ten years, my R/T will look like a modern classic muscle car, and a Mustang of the same year will look like a 10 year old Mustang, which seem to, as a car, have an emphasis on being "new and current" and having the "latest and greatest" adhering to styling trends that make them look more like a euro sports car than an American muscle machine at times.

That being said I do think the 05-14' mustangs look pretty good, as do earlier modern Camaro's before they turned into transformers, so those cars in the years with the retro look may have a rising stock in the years ahead as well... But the Challengers are ALL there from day one.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Yeah.........that's right. (Puddy on Seinfeld)

·
Registered
467 Posts
The problem dodge has with this design is that it looks too much like the original to be able to change very much. I suspect it will be similar to the PT Cruiser and the Prowler. Neither changed much at all during their run and were then phased out completely.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What can we expect when it moves to the next platform?

Bob

A significant number of us will scoff and sneer at the new look, but I suspect some numbers of us will buy it, and a large number of first-time Challenger buyers will follow suit. I’m not sure what I would do. I really like that my ‘16 looks very much like an earlier model. Like everyone else, I’d have to see the new look before deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am still surprised how often I’m complimented on my 2016 silver SXT Plus. Even when I’m traveling it seems to happen regularly. How many cars does that happen with even though the basic design hasn’t changed a lot in over 9 years? If you are looking for a good looking body design that seems to be timeless, the Challenger is as close as it comes. IMG_0016.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 92 Posts