Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap the console and instrument cluster bezels with the hectic mesh style....anyone ever do this?
Do they just pull right off?? I don't want to break them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you're careful they do pull right off. Workplaydrive's youtube channel has some good how to vids on taking those panels off one is the barton shifter video another I think is the tazer install vid you may have to skip thru to get what you want. Hope that helps

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I want to swap the console and instrument cluster bezels with the hectic mesh style....anyone ever do this?
Do they just pull right off?? I don't want to break them.
They pull out - best to use a trim removal tool (Harbor freight has these plastic-fiber sticks) and work around the edges all the way around. They have spring clips that hold them in. These trims are aluminum stampings.

You don't want to just pull up one side, to avoid bending them.

The trim around the shifter - once you get the console trim up, there's clips to release on the underside to get that bezel free of the trim plate.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well....I can't get em off even with prying with plastic tools, I'm afraid I'll crack it, so I guess I'll just leave it as is....shame though as I really wanted that hectic mesh look.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Well....I can't get em off even with prying with plastic tools, I'm afraid I'll crack it, so I guess I'll just leave it as is....shame though as I really wanted that hectic mesh look.
Those clips are in tight - it takes determined effort and they'll come off.

You should see what its like pulling the IP bezel off the '08 - '14...you think you're going to break something off before it gives

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucked.

I got the dash bezel off and swiped them after snapping off a couple plastic connector prongs but doesn't seem loose or anything so should be fine.

Got the console bezel off after going on YOUTUBE and figuring out how to get the shift lever off....disconnected the wires on the back of the control buttons and under the boot and loosened the nut on the boot shaft to pull off the shifter handle, man the screw was on TIGHT!

I go to swap the bezels and realize the control buttons are different!!! So if I connected them they wouldn't do what they said they did or wouldn't work at all since they are different that what they are wired for.

So, I kept the dash bezel and had to swap back the console bezels.

So I have a hectic mesh bezel for the dash instruments and a brushed bezel for the console, doesn't look bad I think.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Well that sucked.

I got the dash bezel off and swiped them after snapping off a couple plastic connector prongs but doesn't seem loose or anything so should be fine.

Got the console bezel off after going on YOUTUBE and figuring out how to get the shift lever off....disconnected the wires on the back of the control buttons and under the boot and loosened the nut on the boot shaft to pull off the shifter handle, man the screw was on TIGHT!

I go to swap the bezels and realize the control buttons are different!!! So if I connected them they wouldn't do what they said they did or wouldn't work at all since they are different that what they are wired for.

So, I kept the dash bezel and had to swap back the console bezels.

So I have a hectic mesh bezel for the dash instruments and a brushed bezel for the console, doesn't look bad I think.
you can change the switch panel control (console) buttons around - there's many variations whether its R/T, R/T w/ STP, SP or SRT and there's some variations between the '15/'16 and there were split buttons for '17+ on SP models from what I've seen

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can change the switch panel control (console) buttons around - there's many variations whether its R/T, R/T w/ STP, SP or SRT and there's some variations between the '15/'16 and there were split buttons for '17+ on SP models from what I've seen
Do they just pull out too? Doesn't look like they come apart from the bezel??

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Did you buy used parts or new? I am just curious as to what a set might cost, I have an idea to hydro dip mine but I want a back up plan in case it doesnt turn out like I hoped.

BTW, you're absolutely right about that Torx bolt on the shifter handle, I thought mine was going to strip before it came loose.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Do they just pull out too? Doesn't look like they come apart from the bezel??
I looked up some images on take-off parts on ebay - there's four ears on those console controls (radio & HVAC are all one unit). So it appears they are probably secured with screws or there are studs with nuts that secure them to the console bezel.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up some images on take-off parts on ebay - there's four ears on those console controls (radio & HVAC are all one unit). So it appears they are probably secured with screws or there are studs with nuts that secure them to the console bezel.
Thanks Hal.......was going to take it apart again and look today if I have time.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you buy used parts or new? I am just curious as to what a set might cost, I have an idea to hydro dip mine but I want a back up plan in case it doesnt turn out like I hoped.

BTW, you're absolutely right about that Torx bolt on the shifter handle, I thought mine was going to strip before it came loose.
Well, the parts are from my Jazz Blue with Purple stripes 2016 SXT PLUS that I haven't sold yet so I guess you'd call them used. :grin2:

I'm thinking that torx head screw may have had a drop of "lock tight" on it but I didn't look at it good.
I hope my 2018 isn't as tight but haven't tried to take it off yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts