Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought much of the threads from members complaining about their console armrest latches breaking. That is, until it happened to me. My retainer latch broke as well, slamming the armrest up and down each time I run over a small bump. Now I get it!

With that said, I did a search for said repairs and ideas. However none of them worked well for me, so I made my own repair to add to the mix. Hopefully, it works well for you all. :grin2:

- Take the spring out of a clothes pin,
- Stretch the spring to open the coil aperture,
- Affix the spring to one of the latch's pivot arms,
(may need to adjust the spring to seat properly)
- Prior to securing the latch/bottom plate to the armrest, ensure the spring seats above the metal slide mechanism (that's where it gets its leverage strength).

PROS: Cannot see or feel the spring while latched. Latch holds the armrest securely with normal operating movement. No drilling, sanding, or otherwise destroying any vehicle pieces.

CON: Spring tensile strength is more stiff and requires more effort than original latch action (not enough to wear-out or jeopardize the latch integrity though).

Good luck!

-

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Good idea, but I'm having heck getting the latch free so I can affix the spring to its pivot arm. Any tricks on getting that puppy free without breaking it (other than the obvious - squeeze end and push)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I utilized a pair of needle-nose to grasp the end of a pivot arm, push through, then moved to the opposing pivot arm. My fat fingers would never have been able to grab those pivot arm ends otherwise. I guess the tension rates of those pivot arm ends vary from car to car. Good luck brother!

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
I utilized a pair of needle-nose to grasp the end of a pivot arm, push through, then moved to the opposing pivot arm. My fat fingers would never have been able to grab those pivot arm ends otherwise. I guess the tension rates of those pivot arm ends vary from car to car. Good luck brother!
Okay, I'll find some smaller needle nose and try again when I get home this evening.

I really need to get some sort of fix in place, as the road into my work is all kinds of wavy, up and down, and that damned console lid will flop up and down like it's singing a show tune if I don't keep my arm on it...needless to say that's friggin' annoying as hell!

This is just the sort of fix I been needing, if I can actually get it fixed without breaking it, that is.

thanks again!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Try this link, I just ordered one. They don't make it till you order it so I will have to put up with the door opening & the rattle I get on rough roads till mid Nov pretty clean app .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts