Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my CR Annual Auto Issue today. I went through and tagged every page that mentioned the Challenger... and there ain't much good to be found. My 2010 R/T is on the "Used cars to avoid" list, p. 84. The 2011 R/T was at the very bottom of the Sports Cars: High-Performance ratings list, with a Predicted Reliability rating of a totally blacked-in circle (shared only with the top-rated BMW135i) on p. 33. Reliability History on p. 88, with used-car verdicts and new-car prediction, is bad. Wow. I'd be very interested in the opinions of the CT folks.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I would take it with a grain of salt as CR has always seemed biased against Chrysler vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I own 3 vehicles that were assembled at Brampton and have not had an issue with any of them. I'm buying a fourth. CR knows little about cars.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Correction. Consumer Reports knows NOTHING about cars.

Unless you think issues with the headliner or rocker panels are flaws that destroy a cars reliability rating I disagree that the Challenger is an unreliable vehicle.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
:smiley35:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I just got my CR Annual Auto Issue today. I went through and tagged every page that mentioned the Challenger... and there ain't much good to be found. My 2010 R/T is on the "Used cars to avoid" list, p. 84. The 2011 R/T was at the very bottom of the Sports Cars: High-Performance ratings list, with a Predicted Reliability rating of a totally blacked-in circle (shared only with the top-rated BMW135i) on p. 33. Reliability History on p. 88, with used-car verdicts and new-car prediction, is bad. Wow. I'd be very interested in the opinions of the CT folks.
Of course, the opinions in a Challenger forum about Challengers will mostly be biased. When we step back & look at the issue from the outside, CR is simply (re)stating what consumers have known about Chrysler products for 30+ years.

I read a couple of years ago about the problem with some first year Challenger models suddenly losing power.
While inspecting mine 4 months ago before purchasing it, I noticed both the hood & trunk don't really align with the fenders & panels. I checked a couple of others on the lot & they had the same issue. I bought it anyway because I want to own a Challenger.
Within this forum there a multitude of complaints about cracked window trim & rocker panels. Both are long standing problems Chrysler still hasn't even officially acknowledged that exists.

I don't share these observations when someone admires my car, but if not in a Challenger forum then where? It would be foolish to ignore the reality because then we're condoning Chrysler's quality & reliability problems.

:indifferent:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Of course, the opinions in a Challenger forum about Challengers will mostly be biased. When we step back & look at the issue from the outside, CR is simply (re)stating what consumers have known about Chrysler products for 30+ years.

I read a couple of years ago about the problem with some first year Challenger models suddenly losing power.
While inspecting mine 4 months ago before purchasing it, I noticed both the hood & trunk don't really align properly with the fenders & panels. I checked a couple of others on the lot & they had the same problem. I bought it anyway because I want to own a Challenger.
Within this forum there a multitude of complaints about cracked window trim & rocker panels. Both are long standing problems Chrysler still hasn't even officially acknowledged exist.

I don't share these observations when someone admires my car, but if not in a Challenger forum then where? It would be foolish to ignore the reality because then we're condoning Chrysler's quality & reliability problems.

·
Registered
877 Posts

While inspecting mine 4 months ago before purchasing it, I noticed both the hood & trunk don't really align properly with the fenders & panels. I checked a couple of others on the lot & they had the same problem. I bought it anyway because I want to own a Challenger.
Within this forum there a multitude of complaints about cracked window trim & rocker panels. Both are long standing problems Chrysler still hasn't even officially acknowledged exist.

Well said. My Challenger's been great. It had the Key Fob not detected flash and no other issues. But the fit and finish although good, is not up to par with competing products, some costing much less!

CR is biased because of years of poor quality products Chrysler (and others) put out. It will take years of GREAT quality products to reverse this bias. I see it starting to happen with people's perceptions of Ford products.

Fiat may be the best chance for quality improvements at Chrysler. Mercedes didn't care, and Cereberus certainly didn't.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was a Chysler tech for many years and still a fanatic to this day. I'm about as biased as they come. What exactly does "relability" mean? If it means getting from point A to point B without a tow truck then I think my Challenger is awesome! I don't think that's what they are after any more though. With today's technology any car will get you where you want to go, even a GM. How about fit & finish? My tailights and trunck lid did not line up when my car was new and I had to make them fit right with a small modification to the lights (the trunk lid was perfectly straight). To me it was only a small disappointment in the final assembly(not unreliable).
But in the first year of ownership I have had 6 parts of the car actually fail to function. The sunroof, the fog lamps, the center console latch, the auto-start system, the blower controls, and the c-piller interior moulding came loose. Most recently the rear wing has broken loose of the trunck lid at one end and Chrysler says that while there are no signs of abuse, they refuse to fix it. So is that an unreliable car, I say yes. The good thing about the Challenger is that I bought it because I had a passion for it and I still do. I love the car would only think about replacing it with a 426 HEMI SRT if that day ever comes.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
My 09 R/T was rock solid and I expect the same from my 11 SRT. Before my R/T I had a Mazda where the power steering completely went out at 6000 miles. With our 2010 Honda Odyssey, we had to have the defective battery replaced after 10 months, plus there was a recall that required a computer update for the tranny. Before that, my Tahoe would randomly change from 2WD to 4LO on the highway - not cool, and GM could never figure it out. My Wrangler Sahara continues to be solid and my in-laws have had their Grand Cherokee to 10 years with very few issues. I find Consumer Reports to be worthless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
First of all I'd like to say that I love my Challenger. However, I am a reliability fanatic, so this was an issue when I bought.

To defend CR, they base there auto predictions solely on subscriber feedback. Unlike the other items they review. I get an email every year asking me detailed questions about the cars that I drive. One thing you will notice if you read up on the Challenger in CR, even though the reliability prediction is down, customer satisfaction ratings are as high as it gets.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
. . . they base there auto predictions solely on subscriber feedback. . .
This is the key statement right here. The CR reader base is not representative of the population as a whole. You must be careful of what you read in the magazine.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have had my Challenger for 4 months and have had no issues so far. Yes the tail lights were not aligned, I fixed that when I installed sequential tail lights. Other than that no problems.

I had a 93 Mazda 626 3 days after I bought it, the sun roof would not close. It was "fixed" it did it 2 weeks later. Did not open the sun roof again. Had a 97 Toyota 4 Runner the same thing happened with the sunroof 3 weeks after I drove it off the lot. A month later, the trailer hitch (had a towing Package) actually broke/off/loose while towing a single jet ski. Had a 2001 Toyota Sequoia, a month after I bought it, the air condition went out, and the drive shaft rear u joint broke loose (bolts were not torqued correctly). I now have a 2005 Chevy Suburban Z71 with 250,867 miles and it's on its 4 th transmission (first one was replaced at 42,000 miles, second at 100,250 miles, third at 150,000 miles, but GM says there is nothing wrong with the transmissions) second rear end, 6th windshield, and third air condition compressor.

So if CR were to look hard enough, I believe they would find owner issues with even the BMW 135i or any other car, truck or SUV they would look closely at. I also agree that CR knows NOTHING about cars, trucks or SUV's.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If this CR was information gathered from challenger owners then we would need to be concerned. Its not, obviously we would be biased but we would be honest. Its an amazing car. I think this is another article based on poor info and research. If they aren't polling challenger owners what the hell!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Exactly ^^ , I always remember how CR gave one of the cara we build in the plant a passing grade yet said another car was below average. They are the exact same car built on the exact same line using the same parts by the same workers all that is different was sheetmetal. If that's doesn't show you something is flawed on how they rate cars I don't know.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts