1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
534 Posts

WTF! I had to run out to my garage to see if my car was still there. Other than the rims and 6 pot, the grey challenger is identical to my car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow that one totally caught me by surprise! Guess Dodge/ FCA has come a long way since the days of my first car - a 1982 Dodge 400 convertible which literally broke down more often than it drove. Amazed that I’m still alive today after driving that death trap. No power, horrible brakes, horrible suspension - other than that it was fantastic:)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow - that is impressive. As someone that not-to-long-ago said that I would never buy a Dodge, mainly because of poor reliability, I'm glad that I was wrong - and also glad that I went against my beliefs and purchased my 2018 GT about a year ago anyway. :) I mentioned in another thread recently that keeping an old platform going for many years is usually good for reliability and this definitely confirms my claims. I'm sure the fact that the Challenger has only had minor changes over the past 10+ years contributes to the good reliability of the model. I tend to purposely look for cars like this that haven't had any major changes in many years - simply because they usually refine them over the years and they prove to be very reliable. To me, the Challenger is the perfect model to keep as-is since the design is so good - it's design is still spot-on - even 11 years after it was released.

Well done, Dodge!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow that one totally caught me by surprise! Guess Dodge/ FCA has come a long way since the days of my first car - a 1982 Dodge 400 convertible which literally broke down more often than it drove. Amazed that I’m still alive today after driving that death trap. No power, horrible brakes, horrible suspension - other than that it was fantastic:)
That's one way to see it.......the Glass Half Full.

Given the stories I hear from a local mechanic who does inspections for me each year though.......I think I'm gonna have to go the other way.

What the hell happened to GM and Ford.........sounds like they fallen pretty hard to get down bellow Dodge. No way I'm buying into the idea this a story about real improvement in the FCA camp........I'm way more inclined to see it as a big fall for the cross town competition.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This is great for Dodge. I can agree that the Challenger is reliable. Mine has been awesome so far. I'm just surprised to see it coming from Consumer reports.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Bought my '13 R/T used in March, 2017, with 35,000 miles. Today it has over 70,500 miles and it has all been trouble free with 1 exception. I have a small area on the front left fender & bumper fascia (where they meet) where some clear coat has come off when I was pressure washing the car. With these miles, I won't pay to a shop clean it up and respray as that's just too expensive. I'll simply be willing to take a "hit" when I trade/sell it in a few years. After all, what will the value be of an 8, 9, or 10 year old Challenger with 100,000 - 120,000 miles on it?

Dodge and Chrysler have been the whipping boys of all the "car experts" in their reviews. I've been driving them for 39 of the 52 years since I bought my first new car - a 1967 Dodge Coronet 440 2 dr hardtop. The only 2 issues I recall on any of the many Dodge/Chrysler products I purchased were a new 1988 Ramcharger which gave me fits overheating beginning at about 60,000 miles as well as an overheating issue on a 1998 Sebring convertible. Nobody was ever able to diagnose the issue on the Ramcharger. The best thought ever given me after I finally traded it was it could have been an internal crack in the block due to a manufacturing issue. I put about 50,000 miles/year on that car and was upside down on the loan so drove it for 4 years before trading it. It was tough driving in the heat of summer with the heater blowing to release the engine heat. The Sebring was the 2.4L which had known head gasket problems and shaving the heads and installing the redesigned gasket cured it. I would estimate I have easily driven all my Dodge/Chrysler offerings a total of at least 1,000,000 miles so I don't have an issue with their overall quality. Quite honestly, the biggest issue I always thought they had was back in the 60s and 70s I believe just thinking about snow & road salt would cause the fenders to rust.🤣

Maybe this brand will now start getting some love from those that write reviews.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Maybe this brand will now start getting some love from those that write reviews.
I wouldn't count on it. This is a video that Scotty Kilmer just released:

I never realized just how bad his dislike of Dodge products really is. In this particular video, he's saying how crappy Dodge vehicles are because they put the wrong wheels on a hundred and some vehicles. . That is probably the smallest recall I've ever seen from a car manufacturer, yet Scotty uses it as an example as to why Dodge sucks so bad.... Unreal.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
408 Posts

I never realized just how bad his dislike of Dodge products really is. In this particular video, he's saying how crappy Dodge vehicles are because they put the wrong wheels on a hundred and some vehicles. . That is probably the smallest recall I've ever seen from a car manufacturer, yet Scotty uses it as an example as to why Dodge sucks so bad.... Unreal.
Unreal indeed. If it was Toyota he would have no problem with it.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I don't know how to take ole' Scotty Kilmer. He walks the fine line of being a madman. Sometimes he's genius. Sometimes just a madman.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I think he's an as_hole. Sometimes he's so wrong on his suggestions. Just another wanna be movie star/celebrity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts