Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was just bored and i miss my car while it sits unmovable at a shop; and was wondering if anyone has seen a control arm / control arm bushing fail after hitting a pothole like this. Apparently the guy at the dealership said he’s seen this a dozen times under 10k miles on challengers. Not sure if that’s BS but if it’s not wouldn’t this be a lemon law thing or at least a recall? I don’t have a photo of the control arm bc it’s tough to see but the bushing literally isn’t there anymore and the arm is pushing against the inner tire side wall.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
I have driven 4 different LXs (2 chargers and 2 challengers) a total of almost 350K miles, and I have hit some ferocious potholes along the way but never had a control arm failure like that. Not have I seen anyone else with one of these cars have a failure like that.

Im not saying it’s impossible, I just don’t believe the guy saying he’s seen a bunch with that failure.

And maybe it’s the angle of the photo, but that pothole does NOT look extraordinary. Bad enough to want to avoid, but not anything that would induce part failure, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,650 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Sorry you are having a problem. I've not seen anyone complain of that issue, but I'd imagine a dealership service center would see more cars than anyone, and if potholes are particularly bad in that area...

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
615 Posts
Pot holes will do that occasionally. Not a lemon law.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
2,242 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. In my area that isn't even considered a pothole. I have hit potholes you could lose a Mini Cooper in and have had no ill effects.I think that guy might be pullin your chain. I would think if you hit a pothole that hard you might bend a rim before a bushing falling out. Slammed into a pothole with a Trans Am once and bent a rim and never had something like that happen. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. In my area that isn't even considered a pothole. I have hit potholes you could lose a Mini Cooper in and have had no ill effects.I think that guy might be pullin your chain. I would think if you hit a pothole that hard you might bend a rim before a bushing falling out. Slammed into a pothole with a Trans Am once and bent a rim and never had something like that happen. Just a thought.
Yeah, with the 20” wheels, a bent rim is a more likely result of hitting a chug hole than suspension part breakage, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
I just noticed the slotted brake rotor in one of those pics. That would seem to indicate some of the OE brake hardware has been replaced with aftermarket components. Is the front suspension still OE or have any of those pieces been replaced with aftermarket pieces as well?

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - that is a pretty small pothole. I'm from PA and that have probably hit hundreds (or thousands) of potholes that size and bigger and have never had any issue - with ANY car.

That size of a pothole should not cause you suspension to fail like that....

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
617 Posts
Hey guys, i was just bored and i miss my car while it sits unmovable at a shop; and was wondering if anyone has seen a control arm / control arm bushing fail after hitting a pothole like this. Apparently the guy at the dealership said he’s seen this a dozen times under 10k miles on challengers. Not sure if that’s BS but if it’s not wouldn’t this be a lemon law thing or at least a recall? I don’t have a photo of the control arm bc it’s tough to see but the bushing literally isn’t there anymore and the arm is pushing against the inner tire side wall.
View attachment 999742 View attachment 999743 View attachment 999744

Welcome to the forum.

You must have hit that pothole just "wrong" to have caused a control arm failure because that thing barely qualifies as a pothole. We even have potholes bigger than that here in Florida.

I once had a service writer at a Pontiac dealership tell me that my driveway must have caused the alignment they did to become misaligned. He said the GTO suspension was almost as delicate (his word) as the Corvette and the slightest bump could knock it out of alignment. That was the last time I went there for anything.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Given the how lousy roads are nowadays if this one dealer tech was seeing suspension failure a dozen times under 10K miles from potholes the forums would be full of posts by owners about this and there likely would be a recall for this.

Have not hit a bad pothole with my Hellcat. Actually I have although "bad" is a relative term.

With the Hellcat the large tires appear to help protect the car in some way from severe potholes, or at least potholes that would be considered severe if encountered with another car.

In fact I had such an experience. With my other car, a MINI JCW, with its smaller and narrower tires, while the Hellcat when driven over the same road as the MINI and believe it or not encountering the same potholes the Hellcat went over these potholes with no real drama. (There are so many potholes it is tough to remember them all.) But with one bad pothole that I had encountered with the Hellcat with no real drama such was not the case when I hit this same pothole with the MINI. The passenger front tire of the MINI hit this pothole with such force I expected a blow out or at least the alignment to be off. But the tire pressure remained good and the steering/suspension appeared to be unaffected.

I dropped my passenger off at the BART station and drove 25 miles home with the car just fine. But next morning I got up and the tire was low. Run flat tires on the MINI so I drove the car 10 miles to the dealer and at the dealer service department I looked at the tire and there was a bulge/balloon on the sidewall. Had both front tires replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts