Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I Promise you I'm not trying to stir the pot or make broad based defamatory statements against anyone planning to actually buy one of these cars. However my opinion is that the Demon and its restrictions that are well documented online and on youtube, make this car utterly pointless.
Will the car wheelie hop and be great on the strip for a guaranteed low time? Yeah sure. Other than that... You are absolutely fooling yourself by buying one of these for MSRP or in the more common scenario, well over MSRP.

This is seriously the definition of Penis envy. And for what? $85K to have a one trick pony to bring the the track that has a factory warranty that is so easily voidable that if you sneeze in the wrong direction while driving it, Dodge can refuse to cover anything.

I'd much rather have a Hellcat, or the new Widebody Hellcat (if its not just a bolt on kit) and save my money for tires and other things for that car. For $100K I could get a lightly used 2017 GTR and I could actually drive that all the time and be pretty decent on a track with the right tires and tune.

Am I missing something here? Other than its prowess as a Sub-10 second 1/4 mile factory car, what else is this used for?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Yeah, and big boobs...I mean what's the point of those too?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What it's used for is marketing. The hellcat has boosted sales of the lower trim model Challenger and so will this. Gets people talking and wanting to be like the big boy on the block. People just like cool toys. That's it. If u think buying a cool car is because of penis envy then u r on the wrong forum. If that was the case then they would have to increase the spring weight on the Prius to accommodate the huge slonged men driving them lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Am I missing something here? Other than its prowess as a Sub-10 second 1/4 mile factory car, what else is this used for?
Other than that legitimate use, it has a very important purpose. It keeps the fragile egos of the very wealthy inflated and provides a new status toy for them to show off until the newness wears off (or they wreck it) and their boredom moves them to another status toy. It also gives the insurance companies another excuse to raise premiums on anything with the Challenger name on it since we are guilty by association, and gives Gubmint an excuse to pass more laws and force more safety equipment on us.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT 392
185 Posts
Yeah, and big boobs...I mean what's the point of those too?
they are both fun to play with?

I think the Demon is cool. Would I buy one? Sure.. if I had 100K burning a hole in my pocket and room to park a dedicated track car... why not.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
No

However my opinion is that the Demon and its restrictions that are well documented online and on youtube, make this car utterly pointless.

I'd much rather have a Hellcat, or the new Widebody Hellcat (if its not just a bolt on kit) and save my money for tires and other things for that car. For $100K I could get a lightly used 2017 GTR and I could actually drive that all the time and be pretty decent on a track with the right tires and tune.

1) You miss the point. Fastest strait-line car in the world under $500K, for $100K. That is the point.

2) Challengers are not about being practical.

3) If you prefer Hellcats and GTR's get one of those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, what I'm saying is on point #1 is that the premise of that being the fastest straight-line car in the world is a stupid point. You can build a faster (yes faster) straight line car for less than $100K, it just isnt an out of the box factory car.

If thats all you want a car to do, then you can build one for less and not have to register it and not worry about any BS with a warranty that Dodge will not honor. That's my counter-point to your point.

2. To be honest, The Challenger is a very practical car for what it is. Out of its main competitors, it has the largest trunk, biggest back seats, most roomy interior and similar MPG with the biggest engine. Thats a very nice list of practical items when compared to its competitors.

3. Its not that I prefer a Hellcat of a GTR. I just think within the context of comparing a Demon to anything else, those two options are much more appealing for similar performance with overall greater usability.

·
Super Moderator
15,087 Posts
Other than that legitimate use, it has a very important purpose. It keeps the fragile egos of the very wealthy inflated and provides a new status toy for them to show off until the newness wears off (or they wreck it) and their boredom moves them to another status toy.
What you describe is much of what the Nissan GT-R became. It was the hot thing in '08/'09, and pretty much is "meh" today and its styling...it is what it is. I see several at cars & coffee events and they don't get that much attention any more.

What I got a laugh out of is the early GT-Rs could grenade the transmissions and if you did too many launches, Nissan wasn't warrantying them.

for $110K, there's other choices I'd make instead of that model

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
they are both fun to play with?

I think the Demon is cool. Would I buy one? Sure.. if I had 100K burning a hole in my pocket and room to park a dedicated track car... why not.
I was being sarcastic ;)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
To be fair, what I'm saying is on point #1 is that the premise of that being the fastest straight-line car in the world is a stupid point. You can build a faster (yes faster) straight line car for less than $100K, it just isnt an out of the box factory car.

If thats all you want a car to do, then you can build one for less and not have to register it and not worry about any BS with a warranty that Dodge will not honor. That's my counter-point to your point.

2. To be honest, The Challenger is a very practical car for what it is. Out of its main competitors, it has the largest trunk, biggest back seats, most roomy interior and similar MPG with the biggest engine. Thats a very nice list of practical items when compared to its competitors.

3. Its not that I prefer a Hellcat of a GTR. I just think within the context of comparing a Demon to anything else, those two options are much more appealing for similar performance with overall greater usability.
The tech is the big point to the demon. You might be able to build a case as fast and cheaper but can you build a car that will match it's time with the same horsepower? Nobody but the engineers know the potential of this car, for now.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Brands need a stop sign to spur sales. The Demon made us all stop and our jaws dropped. While most of us will not get one, it further guided me to buy my SRT.

My company manufactures furniture, and it's luxury level. One of our new tables starts at $24,500. We have people drooling over that one, and buying the more economical $5k ones. And the Demon has done this in my opinion. And Dodge has started what I call the next Cola War. Ford and Chevy will respond to it trying to steal the press, just like when Coke and Pepsi (and RC) went at it when I was young.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Interesting thread. I understand all comments and opinions. To sum things up and boil it down to a couple of words..........
Options and the freedom to choose my likes and desires, are ALWAYS a good thing.
I do not want a Hellcat nor do I desire a Demon I love my 392. Many people may think I am crazy.
Nuff said.
Most of all, I did it my way.
Tom.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am actually getting a SPS next year, but I would have loved to get a SRT 392. Alas it was just not in the budget for me as I am buying cash and am unwilling to go beyond my allocation budget. As it is the wife thinks I'm "stupid" for buying this car with little kiddies in the very near future. ;)

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,345 Posts
Interesting machine in a parallel universe: the Kawasaki Ninja H2R selling for 55,000 dollars. It's a track only machine and cannot be titled. 300 horsepower pushing only 476 pounds. The power to weight ratio? That's 1.59 pounds per hp. Our mighty Demon Challenger? 840 horsepower pushing 4400 pounds or about 5.2 pounds per horsepower.
Kawasaki already makes the fastest production motorcycle you can buy, the ZX 14R; sort of their version of the Helcat. But they had to build something that is so fast, it's TOO dangerous for the street. Very similar to what Dodge has done here. Why? Probably bragging rights. Neither manufacturer is going to sell enough of these land based missiles to recoup the R&D that went into building them. It's not about profit as much as it's about brand recognition and reputation. In short: bragging rights. You know, "GO BIG OR GO HOME." It's just that simple folks.
Gary
Tampa

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since they dropped making the Viper, I for one, am glad they are making something that can be the "flagship" for performance...

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
605 Posts
Dodge builds many variants of the Challenger to appeal to many tastes. I see nothing wrong with building the fastest factory production straight line car that can be easily street driven. It's a unique claim to fame as well as generating excitement for the brand.

With that said, this thread has unearthed a more earthshaking situation. Apparently EricG was sarcastic when he said he likes to play with big boobs. Hard to believe a guy who likes to play with the big Dodge Challenger would not like to play with big boobs. Need more discussion on this aspect of the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
To Fast for the street? I'm driving a "little" R/T that makes more HP/TRQ on "pump" gas than what the Demon will make on "Race" gas. You can tool around all day in my car and never know what it's potential is until you nail it. Just another sharp Challenger that sounds great. I would think you could drive the Demon as a somewhat "normal" Mopar, if there is such a thing. If I had unlimited funds I would buy a Demon just for the fun of it and the new car smell again. But I'm a regular "Joe" and cannot afford one of these beasts or the insurance costs. I pay less than $600.00 a year for full coverage, granted if I lose it, the insurance will not replace what I'm driving because they are insuring a Challenger R/T. Not a 850HP pavement eating machine. Besides there is no "other" Challenger like mine. I applaud Mother Mopar for making this factory backed rocket and if you afford and want one go for it. Just be "aware" of some these little R/T's out here. Just saying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts