Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
159 Posts
To Fast for the street? I'm driving a "little" R/T that makes more HP/TRQ on "pump" gas than what the Demon will make on "Race" gas. You can tool around all day in my car and never know what it's potential is until you nail it. Just another sharp Challenger that sounds great. I would think you could drive the Demon as a somewhat "normal" Mopar, if there is such a thing. If I had unlimited funds I would buy a Demon just for the fun of it and the new car smell again. But I'm a regular "Joe" and cannot afford one of these beasts or the insurance costs. I pay less than $600.00 a year for full coverage, granted if I lose it, the insurance will not replace what I'm driving because they are insuring a Challenger R/T. Not a 850HP pavement eating machine. Besides there is no "other" Challenger like mine. I applaud Mother Mopar for making this factory backed rocket and if you afford and want one go for it. Just be "aware" of some these little R/T's out here. Just saying.
Sounds awesome man. Would you mind sharing what you've done on your car, or providing the link if you've already hashed it out for a million other people that have asked the same question?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It's a flagship. Something a lot of people don't understand the purpose of, so I'm going to offer my take on it: The point is to elevate the brand. Pushing the limits of what the lineup is capable of, makes the whole lineup better. Design elements and ideas trickle down (We're already seeing it with the widebody Hellcat), It draws attention to showrooms, improves brand loyalty, and makes people want to come back for more. It can be a Dodge enthusiast buying an SXT V6 because he/she likes what the bodystyle, or someone buying a Journey because they happened to notice how nice the interior is while they were in the showroom. The brand makes more money, which they can then invest in improving the various models, and pushing the limits with the next flagship.

Do I plan on buying a Demon? Probably not. Am I glad it exists? HELL YEAH. You can't deny the engineering know-how that went into achieving that level of performance. I just hope the few that do get their hands on one, actually go to the track and run them. It would be a shame to let them go to waste by parking them forever, and letting those Nitto drag radials rot/flat spot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The bigger issue is that having and voicing an opinion like that on what other people/companies should sell/buy/drive is exactly what political activists say about any car less environmentally friendly that a Prius. So, to me your opinion is just that but turned down a little. Congratulations.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just remembered something. Dodge isnt new to the party on this:
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2015-chevrolet-copo-camaro-ar166119.html

Chevy and Ford have been doing it for years. Granted these are all likely not road legal cars and extremely limited production (I think its less than 100 per year) Similar pricing though and faster than the Demon.

I saw a video where a 2014 COPO which came from the factory with a 350 and a 2.9 Whipple SC ran a 9.004 at 152...

This still isnt comparable though. If these are indeed completely just Drag cars and can't be registered, at least they are being honest with the buyer. The Demon, is a "road legal" car that can drag sub-10 seconds, but has a buyer agreement that basically negates the factory warranty.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just remembered something. Dodge isnt new to the party on this:
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrolet/2015-chevrolet-copo-camaro-ar166119.html

Chevy and Ford have been doing it for years. Granted these are all likely not road legal cars and extremely limited production (I think its less than 100 per year) Similar pricing though and faster than the Demon.

I saw a video where a 2014 COPO which came from the factory with a 350 and a 2.9 Whipple SC ran a 9.004 at 152...

This still isnt comparable though. If these are indeed completely just Drag cars and can't be registered, at least they are being honest with the buyer. The Demon, is a "road legal" car that can drag sub-10 seconds, but has a buyer agreement that basically negates the factory warranty.
Dodge has been offering the Drag Pak for years now. Like $100,000 with no VIN. Optional engines include supercharger.
This is just an offering to one up the world!
Victoy!
Tom.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Some are saying after the Demon is gone Dodge will offer a street legal Hellcat Drag Pack in 2019 with most of the Demon parts. With all the time and money they spent on the Demon R&D I could see them doing this.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
IF I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I think that I would buy a Viper!
But for now, I'm very impressed and totally pleased with my 2016 SRT 392.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
"Halo cars" generate interest. This interest brings people into the dealers.

We all know what happens after that! lol

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I'm just going to say that it sure is nice that the "Big Three" are building some real muscle cars again. We thought we would never see this kind of power like we had in the late 60's and early 70's again. I tip my hat the Dodge, Ford and Chevy for what they are doing. I'll still stick with my Mopars and I love the Demon even though it's not going to be in my driveway anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The Demon will be for 2 Classes of people.

1. Guys with money that will race
2. Guys with a lot of money that will not race

There is plenty of money in America. When I build a home and the owner wants a $150,000 entertainment room built...A $90,000 Demon is peanuts for him.
You hear of folks in here that dropped over 100k just to Frankenstein their Challengers to no where near what the Factory Demon can do. It is a bargain in my eyes for what the car does.
What we may think is sensible is a joke to the wealthy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The Demon will be for 2 Classes of people.

1. Guys with money that will race
2. Guys with a lot of money that will not race

There is plenty of money in America. When I build a home and the owner wants a $150,000 entertainment room built...A $90,000 Demon is peanuts for him.
You hear of folks in here that dropped over 100k just to Frankenstein their Challengers to no where near what the Factory Demon can do. It is a bargain in my eyes for what the car does.
What we may think is sensible is a joke to the wealthy.
I designed a theater where the speakers, cabling, and components were around $90K back in 2006, damn thin is obsolete. That being said, the owner is actually quite frugal and I know he'd never buy a Demon. He had a sweet classic Porsche Targa Turbo though that I was always itching to drive. He drove that car into the ground. I think he put 205K miles on it and only did basic maintenance on it and a few water pumps. Its interesting to hear what the wealthy would do. I'm not rich, but a friend of mine at my gun club is quite well off. I'm trying to talk him into the Hellcat, but he is stuck in the mentality that he "needs" a convertible and he'd rather have a Mercedes SL 550. Ugh, for that kind of money, I could get a Hellcat and probably another challenger to have some company chop the top off on it and make it into a convertible...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts