Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2017 without the backup camera - If I upgrade to the 8.x Uconnect, would running a backup camera myself be do-able?
(As in - does it require custom tools/software to link to the Uconnect, not does it seem easy to do.)
Swapping the Uconnect seems easy as pie, but I've seen some posts about VIN-tagging on the units , anyone have info on this?
I might just bite the bullet and have the dealer do it if it seems too much trouble.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Not sure about the VIN swap but you would need a Tazer or AlfaOBD to enable the rear cam for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tazer can enable it? I've seen those and considered grabbing one for the page unlocks, is it permanent or does the Tazer have to remain plugged in?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Below is a list of what Tazer can do. AlfaOBD is similar to Tazer but a little more "complex" to use.

1Can enable factory sport mode for 8 speed vehicles- changes PRNDL to PRNDS
2Can enable SRT performance timers in EVIC dash display
3Can enable support of added factory paddle shifters
4Can enable the addition of factory fog lights
5Can disable Tire Pressure Monitoring System warnings
6Change cluster splash screen theme
7Can disable Tire Pressure Monitoring System PSI settings
8Can calibrate speedometer for non-factory tire sizes
9Can enable/disable Daytime Running Lights and can select lights to use
10Can enable the addition of factory or aftermarket backup camera
11Can enable the addition of aftermarket front camera
12Can enable the addition of AUX video source
13Can enable in-motion navigation address entry
14Can disable SiriusXM TravelLink-disables popup weather warnings
15Can disable Daytime Running Light Dropout (when DRL shuts off while turn signal is on)
16Can disable Fog Light Dropout (when fog lights shut off while high beams are on)
17Can disable Seat Belt reminder chime
18One-touch return-to-stock- Quick "unmarry" function returns all vehicles back to stock.
19Line Lock- uses ABS solenoids to lock the front wheels for burnouts at the track or just for fun (AWD forced off during use)
20Light Show mode- 6 preset and 3 make-your-own light shows that flashes all exterior lights, perfect for all car shows.
21Control light shows from Key Fob
22Control light shows from steering wheel buttons
23Control light shows from menu
24Cooldown mode- Turn engine fans and/or intercooler pump on demand when the ignition is on, engine is not running- good for the staging lanes at the track
25Can remap ACC button or added "aux" buttons to many of Tazer's functions
26Clear CELs- Reset that pesky check engine light. Good when you have mods that set the light and you know exactly why
27Force RWD mode- for AWD cars/trucks, can keep in RWD or AWD, or return to normal automatic operation
28Fully disable/re-enable ESP/Traction Control by pressing and holding ESP button
29Peak RPM Display- Displays actual peak recorded actual shift RPM at every shift when in this mode
300 to 30 and 0 to 60 Timers- Displays 0-30 or 0-60 times on EVIC display
31Boost Gauge- Add the Hellcat's boost gauge to the dash and Uconnect
32Reset Adaptives- Reset TCM learned shift adaptives on-the-fly
33Firmware updates- New firmware is available periodically, always free and posted to the Z Automotive website. Use ZPU programming utility, also on the website, to load the firmware
34Enable/Disable CD (wired audio) input
35Can use backup camera and added cargo/front/undercarriage camera or media player at any speed
36Allows the addition of two independent composite video sources and one stereo audio source
37Add an OBD2 port in the trunk of supported devices
38Replace factory cruise lower button cap with 3 remappable buttons

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
Here is an explanation of AlfaOBD capabilities from another forum.

"Essentially you can install the module (if needed) then program/enable any feature your vehicle didn't come with from the factory like performances pages, backup camera, auto highbeams, change the headlight output to run HIDs or change from HID to Halogen (if you really wanted to), check and clear trouble codes on every module in the car, reset the Transmission control Unit learning process, you can change the VIN of the ECU (for ECU swaps), test virtually every sensor, solenoid, and module in the car when troubleshooting, and you can even enable a single indicator light on the dash."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay - I have some inquiries out to the dealerships in my area to see if they'd do it as well, but these would be nice backup options. I've seen a lot (Including some videos) where the gridlines don't work after home installs.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
I know gridlines can be enabled and disabled in the Uconnect menu. Are you saying even thought it is enabled through the headunit they still don't show up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes - for example, JRT PRODUCTIONS video of the tazer install after adding the spoiler/cam - gridlines "Just do not work."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's tied into steering(Gridline display), so it could be related to that somehow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I decided the things I wanted (camera, remote, and fog) and I paid one time for all turned on (didn't even have fog installed).
Service was just over $100 and within weeks my Dodge app showed options, and thus warranty.
I have louvers, did not want spoiler, so camera peeks out of tail light trim.
I also had the lowest level, smallest radio, still works.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
I don't think the Backup Camera is only available on the 8.4", it was available on the 5" too as far as I know

A Guy

·
Registered
397 Posts
The factory wiring and plug for the camera should already be there on your trunk lid. The dealer can turn it on with their software and you just need to plug in a camera. If you use a factory camera/spoiler, it should have the grid lines and everything. My 2017 did when I added it. I used an aftermarket camera first, and had no moving lines. When I swapped to the factory camera, the lines started working like normal. The camera can work with your existing 5” screen. If you want to upgrade, you can. I used the 8.4 screen out of a 2014 (I think) Grand Cherokee. I have to fab a bracket to mount it, since the mounting tabs were a different shape. But it plugged in to the factory harness and worked great. It did give me an error message because the radio was looking for the cellular module that doesn’t come on the 5” radio cars. You can fix that by soldering a resistor onto a plug and plugging it into the cellular antenna port on the back of the radio. I’d have to look up the info I found for the size of the resistor and name of the type of plug if you need to do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts