Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there forums I am a proud owner of a TA Plus. I love it... want to convert my engine to a Hellcat. Make it one of a kind. What’s a full conversion entail? Engine... transmission.... after that I’m stuck, I know I need everything. Just don’t know what it is or what it might cost. I don’t care about the price.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
You really want to know the easiest way? Trade it in on a Hellcat and change the hood and bumper cover, add the fog lights, remove the Hellcat emblems and install the T/A stripes, paint the top of the bumper cover, hood, trunk and spoiler flat black. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run. With today's cars it is easier to start with the higher model and change body panels than it would be to change drive train, brakes, etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hellcat has a bigger diff and probably the axles. Check the exhaust too. If you are just changing the drive train and not trying to make it a clone, that should do it. Almost forgot, drive shaft.

So basically engine to rear axles.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
You'll have TA that costs more than a HC, but will be worth less than a TA.

That's ok if as you say, you don't care about the cost.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Step 1) Take your TA to the dealer.
Step 2) Trade it in.
Step 3) Sign papers on a new HellCat.
Step 4) Apply for a second mortgage for the insurance premium.
Step 5) Report back here.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hey there forums I am a proud owner of a TA Plus. I love it... want to convert my engine to a Hellcat. Make it one of a kind. What’s a full conversion entail? Engine... transmission.... after that I’m stuck, I know I need everything. Just don’t know what it is or what it might cost. I don’t care about the price.
It would cost much less to buy a Hellcat and make it look like a TA.

I will do the conversion (TA to Hellcat) using all factory parts for $90,000. That includes parts and labor.

·
Registered
624 Posts
1. sit down until the feeling goes away

2. trade for a Hellcat.

3.mod your T/A so it makes way more power than a Hellcat for much less money and aggravation than the idea you currently have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You really want to know the easiest way? Trade it in on a Hellcat and change the hood and bumper cover, add the fog lights, remove the Hellcat emblems and install the T/A stripes, paint the top of the bumper cover, hood, trunk and spoiler flat black. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run. With today's cars it is easier to start with the higher model and change body panels than it would be to change drive train, brakes, etc.

not only that but it will also be significantly more reliable with less headaches doing it this way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you want something unique do a cool NA build and throw your money in the suspension and weight savings. If you drop a Hellcat engine in it and all of the other necessary parts you'll have a very expensive fake Hellcat. Why not build a one of a kind TA that can perform on a road course to really reflect the heritage of that car. I do some auto cross and time attack stuff in my Hellcat. It's a big heavy beast not really capable of being competitive on a tight course. I would love to see a Challenger with a good driver (not me) come to some of these events and whip the Mustangs and Camaros.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I read now and then some people putting down the Challengers when it comes to a road course or on twisty roads.
Do any of these cars have the front and rear shock tower braces installed on them for a comparison?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 TA and
If you want something unique do a cool NA build and throw your money in the suspension and weight savings. If you drop a Hellcat engine in it and all of the other necessary parts you'll have a very expensive fake Hellcat. Why not build a one of a kind TA that can perform on a road course to really reflect the heritage of that car. I do some auto cross and time attack stuff in my Hellcat. It's a big heavy beast not really capable of being competitive on a tight course. I would love to see a Challenger with a good driver (not me) come to some of these events and whip the Mustangs and Camaros.
I have a 2017 TA and I didn’t buy it because I was after a dyno number. I’ve had a car with a blower and insane power to the ground. There will always be something faster and you will always chase more power while braking parts. The TA has a racing heritage and is about balance. My plan is to improve on what Dodge made so that it can live up to what it’s supposed to be.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Challenger
85 Posts
Some misinformation.

1. Hellcats don't have larger diffs than 392 cars

2. A true Hellcat swap will work with the 392 transmission - if 8HP70 I would reccomend staying at stock HC power. Factory 6 speed probably won't last long.

3. You'll need a one piece drive shaft

4. You'll need a fuel pump, either HC stock or aftermarket

5. Tuning - contact one of the major ones

6. Cooling - this would need to be tackled either by a donor car or custom one built

Its doable, guys have out Hellcat engines on miatas, a Prius, Durangos, gen 1 SRT8 chargers and Magnums. So it certainly can be done but it's very very expensive.

If you love your car, I'd say do MMX drop in pistons and rods, and go with a Whipple or if you want to be different MMX sells a Hellcat blower conversion kit for the 392. Allows you to bolt a Hellcat blower on your car. This would be really cool to do!

Dont get discouraged from building your 392. It's easy to say "trade it in" yet do you really want to lose your ass, and go further in debt for a car that makes 630whp - and if you modify it and bust your engine - end up paying 12k plus for a engine??

I'd rather spend the money on a 392, than go 65k in debt for a Hellcat. Local guy in PA has a SP Challenger with MMX rods and pistons, a Whipple and makes just over 700whp. Did it all in his garage with help from local techs for way under 20k. So its doable - surround yourself with knowledgable people and stay positive.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I read now and then some people putting down the Challengers when it comes to a road course or on twisty roads.
Do any of these cars have the front and rear shock tower braces installed on them for a comparison?
I am sure that makes very little difference. A person to ask is Luke @stevewhite but without a sub frame connector of some sort, I doubt those braces make a big difference. Best thing to do would be to build a Chassis car and hang the Challenger sheet metal on it.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,131 Posts
OP:
RichPierce
Registered
Joined Sep 24, 2018 · 1 Posts

...pretty sure this is just yet another troll guys, who came & went some 15 months ago with this 1 lonely post, having never really owned a T/A to begin with. Im not sure of the agenda in thier doing this, but it seems to be pretty rampant ever since the new platform change, on all forums that have switched over to it.
A fact that hasnt gone unnoticed by a few of us.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I guess if you started off with this it would not be as difficult to procure all your pieces.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just put a supercharger on the T/A. Tune it and enjoy. Im usually the one who would say swap it, but in this case i dont see the point when you can sc the car you have and get the power your after.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts