Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 16 getting my license soon. wanting to get a 2015+ challenger r/t as first car. Mom got me an insurance quote hoping it would be too expensive to get my mind off the idea. Turned out to be 159/month ... not too bad. Rwd cars are frowned upon in my family as it snows 4-5 times in the winter. Also say that 375 ponies is too much for a 16 year old. Need help ..!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Im in the car business and see a lot of first cars that dont make it past the first year of a new driver. Buy a beater and drive it for a bit. Maybe you can make a deal with your parents so you can drive the beater for few years then have them buy you a dodge if you dont damage the beater. 375hp is not anything to sneeze at with no experience.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
185 Posts
$2K a year for akid is pretty cheap. I'm assuming that liability only? I agree with your family on the snow aspect. Tell them you want a full size car for safety. If they persist (couldn't blame them if they did) think about a GT w AWD

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,607 Posts
$2K a year for akid is pretty cheap. I'm assuming that liability only? I agree with your family on the snow aspect. Tell them you want a full size car for safety. If they persist (couldn't blame them if they did) think about a GT w AWD
I agree, that's not full coverage. I'd say, if he can buy, maintain and insure the car by himself, without help from his parents, then go for it; if not, keep riding his bike...

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
185 Posts
That brings up a good point - I assume you are looking at at least a $15K car for a '15 or newer RT - think about what collision work costs these days if something happens. If anything happens & you have to go out of pocket it could be thousands, even for something minor. Even if you trust yourself, consider either underinsured or uninsured drivers on the road. If you have some bad luck you can be SOL

I agree, that's not full coverage. I'd say, if you can buy, maintain and insure the car by yourself, without help from your parents, then go for it. If not, keep riding your bike...

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,607 Posts
That brings up a good point - I assume you are looking at at least a $15K car for a '15 or newer RT - think about what collision work costs these days if something happens. If anything happens & you have to go out of pocket it could be thousands, even for something minor. Even if you trust yourself, consider either underinsured or uninsured drivers on the road. If you have some bad luck you can be SOL
Paintless ding repair for a single ding is a minimum of $200.00 and from there the repair costs skyrocket. I was hit and forced off the freeway by a driver going too fast for conditions (it was raining), and the repair bill paid by his insurance was over $15K. There are photos of it somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
414 Posts
Im in the car business and see a lot of first cars that dont make it past the first year of a new driver. Buy a beater and drive it for a bit. ...
I know you are 16 years old and anxious. You posted to a forum with a bunch of old guys (comparatively). Every one of us was 16 once and every one of us had a first car. None of us will hold you back, but you did ask us for input. Believe it or not us old farts have a lot of life experience. The question is whether you are old enough to have the wisdom to listen.

Chllngrswpr's advice is spot on. Break it. Fix it. Learn about cars. There will be plenty of Challengers available when you are ready. I know it seems like 18, 21, 25, etc are a long ways away. Trust us, they will come much quicker than you think. Be patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
believe it or not it’s for full coverage. They have been with State Farm for 25 years and no tickets/ accidents for at least 10. They would list me as secondary driver on the plan.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m 16 getting my license soon. wanting to get a 2015+ challenger r/t as first car. Mom got me an insurance quote hoping it would be too expensive to get my mind off the idea. Turned out to be 159/month ... not too bad. Rwd cars are frowned upon in my family as it snows 4-5 times in the winter. Also say that 375 ponies is too much for a 16 year old. Need help ..!!!
Hey Bud my first car was a 95 Camaro ,and i have to tell just because your a good driver doesnt mean ur not gonna get in accidents. My first car was involved in 3 hits not my fault. TBH its just new driver curse. I hate to see ur dream car ruined so early or you hurt. If snow is a factor the GT and SXT come in AWD models. I would highly suggest for insurance cost (full coverage ) to avoid the Challenger as a first. Unless you you can find one old like early 2000's so insurance may be doable. Do what you want but there no need to rush into a V8 as your first. Good luck. Im sure youll get ur Dodge when its time.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
At 16, My first vehicle was a 1988 Ramcharger, a heavy lug with an underpowered 318 V8 that made 170 hp. It was great because it was RWD, it allowed me to learn how to handle it in snow, but was too slow to get in to serious trouble with. Find some cheap old tank that's still fun. It will also likely require you to learn some mechanical skills (if you don't already have them), as it will probably break sometimes. Something like that is what I recommend for a first vehicle.

I got my first Challenger (2010 R/T) when I was 19. By then I had a full time job and I proved to my parents that I was willing to take on the responsibility myself. Obviously, it was significantly faster than anything I owned before it. I'm glad that I worked my way up, I respected and understood the machine more by then.

You will mature a lot in the next few years. You might find your taste may change as well. But if you are intent on jumping into it right now, I would actually recommend attending a high performance driving school event of some sort. As crazy as that sounds. Obviously, start out slow and follow the instructors. But learning the car and how it handles at it's limits is the best thing you can do to be a safe driver.

·
Registered
264 Posts
screw that kid. I had a 76 911 Carrera when I was 17. Never crashed it. Respect the car, it can hurt you really bad. Other than that, go create your memories! (this was in 1983) and I paid around 1600 per year for insurance back then. Get a job and pay for it yourself. Not Mom and Dad. That's what I did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not expecting parents to help much. I’ve worked 30+ hours a week for the last year while going to school retaining a 3.6 grade point average. And now that school is out my boss has me on overtime most weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
With insurance it’s all relative, for that premium I’d imagine the policy has low limits and without uninsured and underinsured coverage. My insurance made me designate a driver to a car, we have four drivers and six cars so there is no secondary driver unless your parents have one car. My opinion as my kids are in their mid twenties now is the Challenger R/T is not what a 16 year old drives carefully and it will only encourage you to test the car and show off to your friends.
How do I know this? Let’s just say a young driver in my house and a 130 mile per hour radar ticket and my wallet suddenly became $20,000 lighter in legal fees and there was almost jail time involved, things get out of hand really FAST.
So I’m sitting home doing my thing and get that phone call to come pick him up and then $375 more to get the car out of impound. I thought he knew better but he sure does now as he paid back every dollar.
You don’t want to know what the insurance went up to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
screw that kid. I had a 76 911 Carrera when I was 17. Never crashed it. Respect the car, it can hurt you really bad. Other than that, go create your memories! (this was in 1983) and I paid around 1600 per year for insurance back then. Get a job and pay for it yourself. Not Mom and Dad. That's what I did.
Not expecting parents to help much ... been working 30 hour weeks at least while retaining a 3.6 gpa ... now that school is strictly online boss has me working OT most weeks

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree with what the old guys have said. But I will offer a counter point, just for a different point of view.

Granted not long after I got my license, I had access to my dad's new Honda Civic, and a year later my sisters new Acura Integra. Ok, it's not 375hp, but let's go back to the 80s. I do think new cars teaches you things that an old car don't. You don't care about old cars. Drive it like mad. With the new cars, you bet I cared about every parking situation from Day 1. Watch the curb, and dips in the road. Parked away from people and anticipate how the cars will open their doors. And when it comes to detailing, it was factory clean and new looking years after. I think that had gotten me more interested in cars, the industry, and engineering.

If I had an old beater car, I would not care and therefore not develop the proper "good" habits.

·
Registered
224 Posts
At 16 and a 375hp beast. I hope you have a lot of driving experience. I do not know if you will be able to get a 2017+ RT for that price range. What I would have done to have the car I have now at 16.

It took me many years to get mine but I have driven many new cars including a brand new Dodge Neon at age 16. I will not list all the cars I went through as a young driver, some were totaled. I've owned some fast cars including an Audi Quattro and a Porsche but I truly think its best to start with a 4 or 6 banger. Going straight to a v8 may require some experience. That being said the new cars have slip protection and that does help a little if you leave it on and not in sport mode. I do know my RT sucks in the snow with stock tires so you may want to get some winter tires and rims.

Only you know what you can afford. I remember working just to pay a car payment and insurance while I was in high school. I used to beg my dad for pop cans so I could put gas in my car :) which really doesn't seem like that long ago now that I am in my early 40s.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd have killed myself in my Scat Pack if I'd have had it when I was 16, My first car was a Mustang with a 351 Cleveland, around half the horsepower of my Scat Pack, and by the time I was 17, my parents insurance company canceled the whole family because of me. I was an idiot. To be honest, I wouldn't want my son to have my car for a first car. He's 29 now and I've let him drive once. I've had mine about a year now, and have 7,000 miles on it. My opinion after having some driving experience, these 392's are kind of dangerous with the stock tires. They break loose super easy and have absolutely NO traction on wet roads. It's unbelievable that I haven't seem to have hit the rev limiter yet. The RT's don't have as much hp but still have the same kind of tires, correct? If you do get one, get some better tires. Drag radials or something.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,670 Posts
My 1st car was a 1978 Trans Am, I never even scratched it. Good luck

A Guy

Reactions: forcedfedbug

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My first car was a 67 VW Kombi Bus. Couldn’t get out of its way. A friend borrowed it to move, and loaned me his 69 396 Chevelle...4 speed too. True story. You can figure out the rest.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts