Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’m 16 getting my license soon. wanting to get a 2015+ challenger r/t as first car. Mom got me an insurance quote hoping it would be too expensive to get my mind off the idea. Turned out to be 159/month ... not too bad. Rwd cars are frowned upon in my family as it snows 4-5 times in the winter. Also say that 375 ponies is too much for a 16 year old. Need help ..!!!
I have a 17 year old with a 2017 Altima, insurance is like $250 with good grades, looking for my 15 year old now...no way i would let him own rwd, though he is driving the sxt

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
314 Posts
I wish I could go back to when I was 16 and keep the beater I had instead of trading it up for something more expensive. Saving money when you're younger is so hard but so important. If you want to be able to buy nice cars when you're a little bit older without getting way into debt, start saving now, don't buy expensive stuff now. Your friends that have nice cool cars now will still be in lots of debt when they're older, but you'll have a nice new car when you're older and less debt. (that is assuming the parents aren't just going to spring for it. I had to save and buy my own car). Plus when you buy it yourself you appreciate it so much more. Youre a lot less likely to crash, dent, scratch it because you're going to be a lot more careful with it.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
224 Posts
I say buy the car you want. If you crash, get it fixed, if you total it, replace it with the same car. That's what insurance is for (get GAP).

The Challenger is an awesome car, I haven't heard a single person buy one and say they didn't love it. My first car was a beater and I hated it. Why would anyone intentionally buy a crap car they don't like?

My advice as an older guy (42 years young) would be to be responsible and don't screw around (soundslike you are responsible). That's how people crash, screwing around and pushing the car further than the drivers ability to control it. Don't try and street race, don't do burn outs or donuts, don't try to drift, ect., until you have some experience driving.

Even after you have been driving for a while, don't street race. Go to the track. One thing to keep in mind is that you will get a lot of attention and people will want to race you just because you have a Muscle car. Ignore them and let them drive off. Don't even bother trying to argue whos car is faster, just say it's fast enough and you don't race.

If you put snow tires on a RWD car (make sure you do all 4 corners not just the rear) it will drive fine in the snow presuming you just driving on streets.

If it's your money, get the car you want. Don't settle. There are many of kids who have learned to drive in a Dodge Challenger. When my son is old enough he will be learning how to drive in my Scat Pack if he wants. You don't learn how to drive a performance car by driving no-performance cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm actually really surprised how many of these guys are telling you not to buy a Challenger despite how much they love their cars. I say if you can be responsible, why not own a Muscle car? It's how you drive, not how old you are or your experience. Drive it normal and having 375HP wont cause you to crash. I promise, you will love an R/T.

The one argument I could see is getting an AWD since you live where is snows. But I have driven RWD cars in the snow and they car drive just fine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So what some of you are saying is that every kid that ever owned a muscle car crashed it? I call BS.

You are all just the old farts that tell your teenager to have no fun in life because you think you know better. Don't be so boring.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
50 Posts
I started to write my story here but damn it was getting long. Here's the short version (!). I'm a Brit and my love for yank tanks started across the pond with a 2001 C5 Vette as my first car at 23 (but I was driving my parents' car beforehand). I'm 37 now, and have since owned a few cars including a 2001 BMW 525 sport, 2002 BMW 530 sport, 2002 Jetta, 2009 Passat, 2004 C5 Vette, 2015 1LE Camaro, 2018 SXT Challenger, and two 2019 Scat Packs Challengers. My advice would be this:
Do your homework on insurance and calculate your expected mileage and see if you can do a limited mileage scheme... If you're not going to use it for commuting, see if a social/domestic/pleasure policy works for you.
Buy as new and low mileage/nice condition as you can. It will save you in the long run assuming you plan to keep it for a couple of years, but also save some benjies for expected maintenance/repairs/general wear stuff like tire, brakes.. Be mindful that the previous owner may have thrashed the crap out of it so if something doesn't seem right, just walk away and find another example.
Now for the stuff about you! You're young, this is your first car and as much as you promise yourself it won't happen, I bet you WILL stamp on it and "give it the beans" from time to time! I consider myself to be pretty sensible but had a momentary lapse in concentration 4 hours after picking up my brand new 1LE Camaro and I almost got a misdemeanor for it. I was new to the US at the time, and had no friggin' clue what one is supposed to when an American cop pulls you over. Anyway it took a long time for all the court stuff to be dealt with and was all an unnecessary headache, cost me ~$1k for 10-20 seconds of enjoyment that got me nothing in the grand scheme of things... it didn't even get me to my destination quicker! I'm glad I got caught though because after the top speed runs I got to in my Vette, I needed a slap or wake up call. And this was me, a 30-31 year old at the time (so supposedly more life experience than you), someone who apart from the speeding ticket is always by the book, was a straight A student etc. So for me I feel like I was 'saved' by the ticket but there are plenty who don't get caught and start to feel invincible and take more risks. You will have to be the judge of what is best for you and what you think you will get up to in a car like this. The safer (or some would say 'boring') option is by a cheap car that you can get some experience in, use as a daily commuter that you won't get hurt if someone dings your doors, and then once you've got some driving experience, trade it in, or buy the toy as your second/weekend car. But there's another school of thought which is live for the moment and do what makes you happy! Ultimately do what you think is best for you. Deep down, you will know what that is. Everyone is different. Good luck with your first car!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,803 Posts
THAT was the short version?! 😃

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
987 Posts
I’m sure that your tired of reading all these replies by now. My first car was a 1988 Camaro, my Dad got me for $3k. I was lucky enough to grow up 20 minutes from what was Morosso drag strip in S. Florida, so I would go there Friday or Saturday nights and race legally. So I never did stupid stuff on the street. I also was the smart one/leveled headed one out of my siblings.

The deal was I had to pay for gas insurance and maintain my grades in school. So I started working at what was Discount Auto Parts, now owned by Advance Auto Parts, while still going to School (Sophomore year). Not only did I pay everything myself by working, but I kept my grades above a 3.5 GPA and was taking College classes every other night at the HS in my Junior and Senior year.

My point to that part of the story is that my son (will be 16 this fall) will be given the same opportunity that I was. He will not get a $15k car though. I also won’t get him an unreliable vehicle. So as I’ve been researching I may end buying something between $5-10k. Preferably on the low end. Best would be if I could find decent and reliable for less than $5k. He will have to work hard and earn whatever his preferred car is on his own.

There is something to be said for earning something on your own. The Hs I went to was full of rich kids that all had BMWs, Mercedes, etc... Not that a $15k Challenger is the same, but my point is it’s a lesson learned when you have to work hard and earn something. Which is what I did. Twenty years ago at 18 I joined the Army and it wasn’t until I was at 13 years (many many deployments later) that I got my SRT. Don’t ask your parents for a $15k car.

As far as driving a RWD in the snow...it can be done. My first duty station was in upstate New York at Ft. Drum. A kid from S. Florida and his rear wheel drive 88 Camaro that was delivered the second week of January. Guy pulled it off the truck and there was 6 feet of snow on the ground. I had to learn real fast how to drive that 5 speed manual in the snow/ice and with hill starts in a manual. Guess what....never an issue. I have also gone through my whole life with not tickets period. Except for speed cameras in Germany that get you if you are even 1km per hour over the limit, which was usually the case. But that’s another story.

Just because your young doesn’t mean you won’t be responsible and that you couldn’t drive it in the winter. However, like I said already you should wait on that type of vehicle for now. More for the life lesson aspect. Ok, my rambling is over. Good luck either way and stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts
My 1st car was a 1978 Trans Am, I never even scratched it. Good luck

A Guy
In 1978 my friend Jake had a brand new 4 speed Trans Am while I had a 1970 Buick Skylark GS with a 455 and a 4 speed and we were sitting at a light. He looked at me and we took off but I just let of the gas for who knows what reason. When I got to the top of the hill I see smoke and there was that awesome new Trans Am torn in two pieces and Jake was sitting there in a daze and somehow all he did was scrape his elbow. Turns out a deer came across the road and startled him.
He still brings it up and appreciates the fact that he got so lucky, we made it to our 60’s and hindsight sure has vision with clarity.
Have any pictures to post of your car?
Mind if I ask how old you are?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
174 Posts
thats a hard no for me. You will just crash it and get tickets.
Haters gotta hate :rolleyes:. Maybe, just maybe, he's a responsible kid and that won't happen. At the least, lets not wish it on him.

Insurance is largely regional and can vary greatly not even from state to state but town to town. Read the policy over carefully and make sure you know what you are getting.
I have three cars in my house (plus the Challenger on a separate policy) for three drivers including my 17 yo son. I'm with Allstate and all three drivers are on all three vehicles. No car is designated to a specific driver. All cars have full coverage. We had all three cars on the policy before my son got his license. When I added him, the insurance doubled.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first car was a beater. 1989 Hyundai Excel and bright red. lol. I my opinion I think having a beater as my first car made me much more appreciative for my 392 once I got her. I don't really have any advice for you but I will repeat what others have said here. If you do end up getting the car, respect her and take care of her. You'll be happy you did!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I’m 16 getting my license soon. wanting to get a 2015+ challenger r/t as first car. Mom got me an insurance quote hoping it would be too expensive to get my mind off the idea. Turned out to be 159/month ... not too bad. Rwd cars are frowned upon in my family as it snows 4-5 times in the winter. Also say that 375 ponies is too much for a 16 year old. Need help ..!!!
Your parents are or should be in the best position to know if you are mature enough to handle a car and while not a super car a fairly powerful and fast car, the R/T.

FWD/RWD it really boils down to tires. Going ain't the real problem. Turning stopping is. And in this regard FWD/RWD even AWD are all in the same boat as all have just 4 wheels/tires to handle the braking and turning.

Get a FWD/RWD/AWD car and put good real winter tires on the car and chains in the trunk for just in case and drive on.

I have driven cars from 90hp to 707hp and I can tell you if not treated with respect one can be just as dead from a 90hp car as a 707hp car. My 90hp VW Golf TDi could reach speeds of 115mph. But fatal crashes often happen at much slower speeds.

It all boils down to how mature you are and whether or not you will respect the car and your obligation to operate it in a safe and sane manner.

Be sure you take a driving class -- when I was in HS this was offered as a class and it was a very good class to take -- so you learn the proper operation of the car and the rules of the road and develop good habits that will stay with your through your life.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,803 Posts
Have any pictures to post of your car?
Mind if I ask how old you are?
Pics in my showcase

I'm 59 1/2, lol

If I had a garage, I'd have kept it when I got all responsible and got my Grand Prix with anti-lock brakes and airbags :)

A Guy

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
276 Posts
...There is something to be said for earning something on your own. The Hs I went to was full of rich kids that all had BMWs, Mercedes, etc...
Different world now. My HS parking lot was full of pickup trucks with rifle racks in the rear window and a chainsaw in the truck bed. The show-offs would leave just after the school buses and pass them on the highway two miles away.

And there is a lot to be said for earning something on your own, especially during the teenage years. A parent's job is to work themselves out of the job of being a parent. Making a teenager work for the things they want is preparing them to become a self-sufficient adult. Giving kids everything they want only results in kids still living at home in their mid 20's.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,919 Posts
FWIW the wife's nephew just got his driver's license and was looking for a car. He wanted a brand new honda civic but the family could not afford it. I had a 99 grand cherokee (was my beater until I bought a liberty from my sis on the cheap) that had +150,000 miles one it but in good mechanical shape...minus the rust. Gave him the car and drove it for a bit but complained gas cost too much. He sold the truck to his cousin a year later right when she got her license and he decided to lease a new honda. Well now he complains he has no money because of the lease, higher insurance but not so much about the gas. He now regrets his decision and rarely drives his car for fear of exceeding his lease mileage. Meanwhile his cousin (she's a smart cookie) absolutely loves the grand cherokee, she says the gas mileage could be better but her insurance is not bad and no payments to deal with. Point is...get a beater for now.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I wish I could go back to when I was 16 and keep the beater I had instead of trading it up for something more expensive. Saving money when you're younger is so hard but so important. If you want to be able to buy nice cars when you're a little bit older without getting way into debt, start saving now, don't buy expensive stuff now. Your friends that have nice cool cars now will still be in lots of debt when they're older, but you'll have a nice new car when you're older and less debt. (that is assuming the parents aren't just going to spring for it. I had to save and buy my own car). Plus when you buy it yourself you appreciate it so much more. Youre a lot less likely to crash, dent, scratch it because you're going to be a lot more careful with it.
I still have my first car I bought in 1978. It's a real beater I had to replace most of the floor because of rust. rebuild all 3 carbs and put all new brakes, shocks and a new clutch just to get it back on the road. when I had earned the money to get a nicer car the sales man asked if I was going to trade in my 1957 Oldsmobile Rocket 88. That it being a manual shift he could only give me $1,200 off the new 1989 Firebird Formula I was buying new in 1988 for cash after saving for almost ten years I told him no I plan to keep it and redo the body and paint someday to a much better quality than the first time high school kid with a part time job budget I did the first time. Funny thing is I said I would keep my first new car the Firebird Formula TPI 5 speed manual for ever too, but I sold it 12 years later when repairs to the electronics in it like 3 new ignition switches 11 new fuel injectors and fuel pump and a bunch more smaller things. That firebird and maybe a dozen or so cars later the old Rocket 88 has never left me stranded or needed anything but tune ups and fluid changes in 42 years. Here are my 2 Rocket 88's next to my 2 Challengers. The J2 engine in my 88 coupe the intake manifold carb's and factory air cleaner were worth about twice what I paid for the whole car.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts