Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had my 2012 Challenger 6.4 in the dealership to address the two recalls I had them do a flush/fill of the cooling system. I looked over the statement and noticed the tech only used a gallon of antifreeze along with the BG Cooling Flush and Additive kit. I believe the coolant system capacity is just over 13 liters. Shouldn't he have used more than a gallon of antifreeze?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not sure on quantity used during a flush, but it's usually around half of the overall capacity of the system from what I remember. What I will tell you - don't flush your radiator system. The ideal maintenance is to have it completely drained, flushed out of the block, and then refilled with OEM antifreeze. The BG cooling flush stuff that they used is fine for washing out the block - but ideally you want to fully drain the system and refill with new (along with using a product such as that to clean out the block/radiator before refilling with new).

I'm surprised the dealer did that - probably because its cheaper.

Once upon a time (with my '07 Charger R/T) I went to a shop that is one of those fast oil change places. This was before I really understood that the only way something is done right is if you do it yourself or pay an absurd mechanic rate. They were offering a coolant flush for $75. Like I said - back then I didn't realize that a coolant "flush" was nothing more than sucking out 50% of your coolant, and then shoving new coolant back in and mixing it with the old shit, effectively NOT cleaning anything and NOT replacing all of the old worn out fluid.

I call the place first, ask if they have MOPAR OEM red fluid. To my surprise, guy says yes. I confirm a second time, he says yeah man. I am thinking - solid place - nice. I go there. I'm watching the process. They connect their shitty coolant mixing tank to the radiator reservoir, and it starts. I can see the color of the coolant going in and it sure as shit isn't red.

The process completes and I ask the guy - what is this antifreeze, it isn't what you told me it was. He says "sure it is, its Global Peak Universal, it works for your car". Not only was he wrong, it wasn't compliant - the retard didn't know the difference between OEM fluid and a universal garbage brand. I got my money back, plus an extra $25 when I talked to the manager. I go to a dealer to pick up some OEM fluid to go home and do this myself, and they offered me a solid deal - a fluid drain/flush/refill for a decent price so I took it.

Anyways. Just some OE for you. Don't trust the mechanic on stuff like this at first glance. Most of them are retards - but I will say - at a dealer they should know better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I wish it was just $75, I paid $200. I was quoted $250 and maybe that's what it would've been had he done it right. I DIY as much as possible but didn't want to deal with all the mess with a flush/fill and then have to deal with where to take all the waste. It sounds like they did just what you said. Part of that BG package is some kind of additive that I guess is supposed to "recharge" the coolant.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah. If I were you I would get your money back from the dealer on this, and take it somewhere with mechanics that aren't heels. You're looking for a drain/flush/refill in that order. None of this combination * * that they try to pull to save money on time and amount of coolant used.

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
Cooling system capacity shows as 15 quarts so that means 2 gallons of coolant needed and I guess you have to wonder exactly what coolant he put in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
I like to flush out with the hose and then when clear flush the tap water out with distilled then drain and add 2 gallons of straight coolant then top off with distilled and that is about the best you can do without a machine to get it right at the correct ratio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,854 Posts
According to the invoice he used the right stuff, just not as much as I thought he should.
Not to get you any more torn up than a whore in church.....but that slip of paper will allow an ink jet printer to print anything it desires on it.

Hopefully......he didn’t install the OAT style coolant (2013 & newer) in with your HOAT.

Reactions: acidfingertips

·
Registered
448 Posts
Exactly....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts