Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was low on coolant and checked it again later and was low again. Found a wet spot and some pools if coolant on top of the motor.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
The intake manifold doesn't have any coolant passages in the manifold itself.

There's two black color metal pipes that go from the rear (heater core lines) to the backside of the front engine cover - they're sealed with rubber o-rings. They run underneath the manifold.

Its possible if they're leaking to have coolant / residue on the area where the manifold meets the heads. These pipes have clamps that secure the hoses to them.

The other thing is the coolant tank - see if the clamps are seated on the nipple (small upper hose) and the large bottom hose. If you run the engine hard, it can blow coolant past a hose that isn't clamped down securely.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer pressure tested and found no leaks. Maybe I fixed it when I replaced the thermostat and just didnt add enough fluid? It chimed on the dash once that the engine temp was high. Still not sure how coolant ended up on engine top but its staying full after dealer topped it off

·
Super Moderator
15,095 Posts
Bleeding the air out of the system is crucial on these cars.

Otherwise, it will show hot condition due to air pockets and steam forming.

There's a small hex plug in the water pump - remove it, fill until coolant starts to run out of the hole, then close it up.

Proceed to fill the coolant tank, cap it off run the engine until hot.

Recheck level when engine is cold and top off to max fill cold line if necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts