Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an overheating issue last Tuesday found that my coolant was low filled it up and since I started a Job this week and moved 500 miles I am just getting around to finding where the coolant is going. This is all happening shortly after I flushed the cooling system first with the house then two full fills of distilled water then and replaced it. In replacing it of course I asked for my Dad to pick me up some orange Coolant and he was half way through filling it before I realized it was dexcool :notallthere: (He taught me everything I know but obviously I need to start checking after him) I figured since I was pressed for time(needed to get back to my house a 4 hour drive) it would be fine for a couple of thousand miles it has been about 2 weeks since then. Reading up I have seen people on LX forums using Dexcool without any issues. Anyways It is weeping slowly just looking about a half a gallon in a week. When I squeeze the hose right above where the liquid pool(Where the Thermostat is located) it comes out a little faster the edges of where the thermostat is all dry it seems to be on the pump it self I have attached an image here so you can get an Idea of where it is. This is the water pump and is probably the gasket correct just figured I would run it past your guys eyes as well to give me some confirmation. Thank you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
149 Posts
Try tighten down your radiator hose bolts that connects to the thermostat the two bolts might be loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the first thing I did, unfortunately, it has not fixed the problem. I think the leakage is coming from inside of the puddle that is in the picture.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The t-stat housing (water neck) on the upper hose uses the rubber seal around the t-stat to seal that.

Its possible the steel water neck has corroded (looks like yours has some years and miles on it).

might not be a bad idea to remove the water neck and examine it. If its pitted or rusted, might be time to replace (and t-stat since you have it open).

its a matter of eliminating what it causing it. The water pump is down lower so I don't think you'll see coolant that high up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The t-stat housing (water neck) on the upper hose uses the rubber seal around the t-stat to seal that.

Its possible the steel water neck has corroded (looks like yours has some years and miles on it).

might not be a bad idea to remove the water neck and examine it. If its pitted or rusted, might be time to replace (and t-stat since you have it open).

its a matter of eliminating what it causing it. The water pump is down lower so I don't think you'll see coolant that high up.
Okay Thank you I was under the impression that that was the top of the water pump so I figured the gasket was going. I will take a look at the hose tonight as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention It has 113k Miles On it and one of the previous owners had it repo'd so I am sure the maintenance was not kept up as well as it should have been.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also Does anyone know if the Dexcool is causing the issue should I drain it if I do have to change the water pump over to Zerex?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts