Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got an issue here, my coolant is leaking, I'm having to top it off everytime the level lowers, I'm not sure from where it's leaking, need to check myself before sending it to the stealership, want to know if it will be a fix I can do myself, possibly a loose hose fitting somewhere? It's leaking a small puddle. I've checked on both sides of the engine from the bay and there's no signs of any liquid leaking, not even from the pet**** area or the water pump. I'm guessing it's coming from the oil filter area? See pic. Any idea what could be the issue? Pic is coolant leaking from end of the service shield.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Get under the car, remove the pan and look for the leak.

Could be any number of things given the location of the puddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Hey guys got an issue here, my coolant is leaking, I'm having to top it off everytime the level lowers, I'm not sure from where it's leaking, need to check myself before sending it to the stealership, want to know if it will be a fix I can do myself, possibly a loose hose fitting somewhere? It's leaking a small puddle. I've checked on both sides of the engine from the bay and there's no signs of any liquid leaking, not even from the pet**** area or the water pump. I'm guessing it's coming from the oil filter area? See pic. Any idea what could be the issue? Pic is coolant leaking from end of the service shield.

Unless you have access to a lift and can get the car in the air chances are slim based on what you have written you'll find the leak. It can be from underneath something and by the time the coolant hits the garage floor can have followed a circuitous route.

One thing you can try on your driveway is to use distilled water to top up the coolant level. You don't want it too low or too full but closer to the full or max line than not. You want as much of the cooling system under water (so to speak) so the leak leaks coolant and not vapor.

Be sure the cap is on properly.

Turn off the A/C. Drive the car around until the engine coolant is nice and hot. If you can monitor the coolant temperature via a digital display on the dash that's great. If not I have used an OBD2 code reader/data viewer/logger to monitor coolant temperature in real time.

You want the coolant temperature to get high enough to cause the fan to come on. (With my previous cars this was 212F. With Dodge I'm not sure at what temperature the fan comes on, although it looks like with my Hellcat the temperature is in the 215F / 216F range.)

You don't have to really thrash the car. My experience is even from a cold start just driving in residential areas with a stop sign every block or two and only 25mph to 35mph speed limits can have the engine coolant and oil temperatures quite "high" in not many minutes.

Back at your driveway raise the RPMs to a bit over 1K and hold until the coolant temperature gets to the point it triggers the radiator fan.

As soon as the fan comes on shut off the engine.

The hot engine will heat up the coolant and this will increase pressure in the cooling system. The leak will become active and with the amount of coolant in the pic active enough you can probably see its source. That is you may not see the exact source if the leak is say from the underneath side of where a hose connects to its fitting but you will know the area. A mirror on a stick and bright light can be used to view the leak.

Be careful. Wear eye protection in case hot coolant sprays out. Mind where you put your hand. Coolant at 212F or hotter will inflict a nasty burn.

Knowing where the leak is then helps you know what needs to be done. Could be a loose hose. Less common is a failed hose. Buy it could be any number of other things, too. You'll just have to find the leak and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts