Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and good afternoon. Just check my coolant after 2years of owning my 2018 challenger scatpack and it looks pretty low. My question is that I bought the premix coolant 10yr 150,000 miles from my dealership and just needed to know up to what line do I fill it up too??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,696 Posts
Anywhere in between the two lines is fine.

It’s not even really that low now, but if you have the coolant to add, add until the level is between the two lines.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
69 Posts
My new 20 SP came with the coolant filled to the top line when cold.

DeWFPo

Reactions: rtd2

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Hi and good afternoon. Just check my coolant after 2years of owning my 2018 challenger scatpack and it looks pretty low. My question is that I bought the premix coolant 10yr 150,000 miles from my dealership and just needed to know up to what line do I fill it up too??
Thanks
View attachment 1006928
Yep, anywhere between the "Cold" lines is acceptable, as long as the engine/coolant is cold.

That said, I've filled mine to the top cold line so that I can keep an easier eye on the level, and if it goes down.

I've also bit the bullet for a high priced mod. I marked the lines using a black Sharpie, so seeing the lines is quick! Lol

20201121_230326.jpg

It's held at the same level for two years since I've marked it.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
551 Posts
If it is just an inch or two low you can just add distilled water without affecting the coolant mix enough to mean anything.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Yep, anywhere between the "Cold" lines is acceptable, as long as the engine/coolant is cold.

That said, I've filled mine to the top cold line so that I can keep an easier eye on the level, and if it goes down.

I've also bit the bullet for a high priced mod. I marked the lines using a black Sharpie, so seeing the lines is quick! Lol

View attachment 1006958

It's held at the same level for two years since I've marked it.
I have always heard that fancy mods detract from the car’s resale value and ideally will be uninstalled prior to any attempt to sell the car or trade it in for credit toward the purchase of a different one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anywhere in between the two lines is fine.

It’s not even really that low now, but if you have the coolant to add, add until the level is between the two lines.
Sorry I thought that was low.Thank you. Well add until its between the two lines. When its cold right? Am not a car guy and don't want to do it wrong. View attachment 1006929
This should be the right one for my car?

Thanks everyone for the info. Since I had the car haven't seen the coolant level so I am going to keep a close eye on it.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Yeah, do it after it’s been sitting a while. If you turn the cap and it audibly relieves pressure, it should probably cool off more before you add any.

And make sure the car is sitting on level ground. That level you see could drop several inches just from sitting on an incline like parked in a driveway.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
Thanks
View attachment 1006928
My advice would be to first run the engine to get the engine and coolant up to temperature. Then note the coolant level in the tank. Then if the level is still low after the cooling system has cooled down enough to where it is safe to remove the cap you can then top up the level.

If you top the tank up cold when the system gets up to temperature the coolant expands and some coolant can be lost via vent valve. What happens is when the level is checked it is found to be low again and the owner thinks there is a leak.

It is just this particular vehicle, its engine/cooling system, and the coolant level reaching an equilibrium point.

Note it is possible some coolant can be lost past the water pump seal. The word is there can be a whitish residue/stain on the water pump housing -- which is anti freeze after the water has evaporated -- but there should never be any wetness. Over time this small loss of coolant can have the level low.

Also, a cap can vent pressure. If you happen to stop the engine with the radiator fan running becuse of some elevated temperature -- which can happen periodically while driving the car around town on a warm day -- as teh engine heat load heats up the coolant and raises the pressure in the system this can force the cap to vent. This venting releases water vapor which over time will lower the level. A car of mine had what proved to be a defective cap in that it was venting at too low a pressure. Over just a month's driving this resulted in nearly a gallon of coolant gone. I replaced the cap and topped up the system with distilled water. The system had lost no anti freeze just water.

Oh, I tented the cap with foil with the enigne up to temperature -- and radiator fans running being on due to the coolant temperature have triggered the fans to come on (at 212F) -- and then shut off the engine. After a few minutes I checked and there was water condensesed under the foil. Bad cap confirmed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts