Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my coolant reservoir looks like it’s cracking, what I noticed is that there is a metal line right on the reservoir tank most likely contributing to the crack. Anyone else have this metal line right next to the coolant ?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ide look at the oil leak u got goin all over that coil pack first lol

That metal tube is also up against my tank, cant see any cracks in your pic?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spilled it when I did my oil change haha. Okay just wanted to make sure everyone else got that

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
Blow up the picture, it's big, and you'll see this I'm sure he is referring to

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,555 Posts
I'll say it's not common, but if you want to go to the extra expense

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,756 Posts
those lines next to the tank are the A/C system supply / return lines - they aren't causing the cracking.

it age and heat - not that common to hear of the tanks cracking, but if there were flaws in the manufacturing, it can happen.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
those lines next to the tank are the A/C system supply / return lines - they aren't causing the cracking.

it age and heat - not that common to hear of the tanks cracking, but if there were flaws in the manufacturing, it can happen.
A cracked coolant tank at least in the Porsche world was not that unknown. My Boxster had its coolant tank fail. A crack developed along the bottom of the tank at the mold seam. (Can't recall the mileage now but the miles were "big".)

The plastic tank would be pretty much fluid and pressure tight except if the coolant temperature climbed to over 212F which it seldom did as the radiator fans came on at 212F and shut off at 208F.

But if the engine was shut off with the coolant over 212F the pressure and heat would open the crack a bit.

But it was still not as bad a leak as one might suspect.

I "found" the leak with a hot coolant pressure test. I have described this test before and won't do it here unless asked. But with the coolant over 212F and then the engine shut off the engine heat load raised temperature and pressure and this is when the crack opened up a spewed hot coolant to the ground.

My belief is the reasons why the Boxster coolant tank failed -- and my car was not the only car to manifest this failure -- are the same reasons that other brands of cars can manifest this same failure. The tank must hold pressure. And it does so when hot. This causes the tank to expand then of course when the engine is shut off it cools down. This expansion/cooling over time will lead to material fatigue and the tank will crack and fail.

All one can do is be aware this failure can happen. Had I known more about this -- I became an "expert" after my car's coolant tank failed -- I would have periodically checked the tank for leak sign. The leak sign was along the bottom of the tank but might have been visible with some work -- using a flashlight and a mirror on a stick/swivel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts