Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. I have a 2016 R/T and one dark night this past winter I went off the curb right next to the exit of a gas station (I know I know but it was late and dark and I thought I was at the exit literally a foot away). Anyways my coolant temp dropped from the half way mark on the meter to about 199-202 when fully warm. Then today when it was 80 degrees I was waiting at a particularly long drive thru and it started climbing back up to 217 degrees before I left the drive thru and went back to driving and it lowered again. I checked it approx 3 hours later it was in the mid 60s out I let it idle and it went back to 199-202 but when I went around the block it started climbing and quicker towards the 217 mark again. There is no leaks, the coolant level drops to the hot and cold levels on the resivor, the fan comes on and off, and when I was under the car for my oil change I noticed no damage. I’m at a loss any ideas?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
What temp is the thermostat? Is it OE or aftermarket?

How many miles on the coolant? How long has it been in the engine? What kind is it (assuming purple OAT if factory fill).

Is there a smell of hot coolant at any point in the drive?

Has any component of the cooling system been replaced? What about the serpentine belt, is it the original one or a replacement?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OE thermostat
Just over 50k miles on motor/coolant/components
It’s more of an orange tbh
No coolant smell no smoke in start either
Serpentine belt replaced approx 20k ago cus pulley went too

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like everything is operating as expected, nothing stands out as being a problem to me.

Maybe drain and refill the coolant with fresh stuff and call it a day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it sounds like everything is operating as expected, nothing stands out as being a problem to me.

Maybe drain and refill the coolant with fresh stuff and call it a day.
Yea I’m taking it to a shop for just in case but it’s a real head scratcher. I’ll post any news if it comes back out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
No head scratch just how they run stock. Thermostat is 203F but low speed fan mode will not kick on until 217F. Not uncommon to see temps in the 220F on a hot summer day. If your temps are around 203F on the highway but climb in traffic (i.e. that is when the fans are needed) then I say you are GTG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No head scratch just how they run stock. Thermostat is 203F but low speed fan mode will not kick on until 217F. Not uncommon to see temps in the 220F on a hot summer day.
I mean it was 80F and HUMID plus I drove it on a 30ish minute drive before hand. I’m just at a loss on it dipping to 199-202 normally (I’m talking even cruising at 80-90 on the high way) to now jumping to 217F

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
If you are seeing 217F on highway cruising then could be thermostat might be acting up. Fan is (only one on an RT) useless at highway speed. If the temp hits 230F then I would be worried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have a point. But no I’m seeing 199-202 highway 217 was waiting at the drive thru and a few lights and a five minute trip around the block when it was in the 60s and raining

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
you have a point. But no I’m seeing 199-202 highway 217 was waiting at the drive thru and a few lights and a five minute trip around the block when it was in the 60s and raining
Look at image in my last post. Fan kicks on a 217 when driving around town in stop and go traffic. That is when your temp will usually rise. On the highway the temp will be closer to the thermostat temp of 203F. I think you are fine as long as your stop and go temp does not go near 230F and your highway temp is around 200F (may rise temporarily if you accelerate hard).

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
If I want to see my Hellcat's coolant and oil temperatures go up all I need do is drive in town conditions for a while. The radiator fan nominally comes on at 217F but I have seen coolant temperature go higher to 220F.

Oil temps can reach 230F. This even on a mild day not one of those triple digit record breaking days.

I have not seen any indication these temperatures will continue to climb that the engine will experience run away overheating.

Once I leave the city and city driving behind and get on the highway/freeway both coolant and oil temperatures drop. Both can easily fall to under 200F.

As long as you hear the fan cycling on when coolant temperature gets in the 217F range and you do not smell anti-freeze things are operating as designed.

An odor of anti-freeze is a pretty sure indication of a leak. A leak must be dealt with. It is pressure of the cooling system that keeps the hot coolant from boiling and if the pressure is not maintained coolant can boil/form steam pockets in the engine and localized overheating can occur.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I want to see my Hellcat's coolant and oil temperatures go up all I need do is drive in town conditions for a while. The radiator fan nominally comes on at 217F but I have seen coolant temperature go higher to 220F.

Oil temps can reach 230F. This even on a mild day not one of those triple digit record breaking days.

I have not seen any indication these temperatures will continue to climb that the engine will experience run away overheating.

Once I leave the city and city driving behind and get on the highway/freeway both coolant and oil temperatures drop. Both can easily fall to under 200F.

As long as you hear the fan cycling on when coolant temperature gets in the 217F range and you do not smell anti-freeze things are operating as designed.

An odor of anti-freeze is a pretty sure indication of a leak. A leak must be dealt with. It is pressure of the cooling system that keeps the hot coolant from boiling and if the pressure is not maintained coolant can boil/form steam pockets in the engine and localized overheating can occur.
Took it out this morning again and temps are still rising to the 220F range (it’s in the low 60s this morning) and I’m getting a NASTY vibration from the engine

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Took it out this morning again and temps are still rising to the 220F range (it’s in the low 60s this morning) and I’m getting a NASTY vibration from the engine
Well, that doesn't read like what's going on is normal. A nasty vibration could arise from a failed water pump.

My advice would be to stop running the engine and get the car to a qualified shop for a professional diagnosis of what is going on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, that doesn't read like what's going on is normal. A nasty vibration could arise from a failed water pump.

My advice would be to stop running the engine and get the car to a qualified shop for a professional diagnosis of what is going on.
have an appointment set for later this morning I’m really curious to see what the fix is

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
Whenever my pumps failed you heard them but not felt it in the cab. If the vib is only when the fan kicks on then the fan can be unbalanced.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
What it sounds like when the impeller is hitting the housing

How much the impeller moves

No signs of leakage when it happened either...temps were fine though.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,785 Posts
BTW the intake bolts are known for backing out...even on a low mileage engine. If they back out you could get a leak at the manifold. Problem is engine will not throw a code...the wife's 2013 JGC 5.7 had a cracked evap purge hose and never saw a code but fortunately heard the whistling when it was idling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW the intake bolts are known for backing out...even on a low mileage engine. If they back out you could get a leak at the manifold. Problem is engine will not throw a code...the wife's 2013 JGC 5.7 had a cracked evap purge hose and never saw a code but fortunately heard the whistling when it was idling.
I have no codes being thrown can’t remember if I heard that same noise or not but I’ll keep you guys posted

1 - 20 of 36 Posts