Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to wire up a toggle switch that would allow me to turn both cooling fans on at my discretion. I would want this to work in conjunction with the stock/factory settings. The switch would only be used to turn on the fans earlier than stock settings when I anticipate spirited driving. Sort of an "override" feature. When the "override" switch is in the "off" position, the fans operate normally.

I know I could just go out and buy a Tuner. But in an M6 with no other mods, I cant justify $600.00.

Any advice on how to do this would be great.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Would it be possible to wire up a toggle switch that would allow me to turn both cooling fans on at my discretion. I would want this to work in conjunction with the stock/factory settings. The switch would only be used to turn on the fans earlier than stock settings when I anticipate spirited driving. Sort of an "override" feature. When the "override" switch is in the "off" position, the fans operate normally.

I know I could just go out and buy a Tuner. But in an M6 with no other mods, I cant justify $600.00.

Any advice on how to do this would be great.
The Tazer (~$250) has an option were you can hit 2 buttons on the steering wheel (engine has to be off) that will activate the fan. It turns off as soon as you start the car. It also has other added benefits (line lock, light show, logo change, SRT pages....). Or are you looking to run the fans while driving?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! As I originally stated, I want the option to manually turn on both cooling fans in anticipation of (or during) spirited driving. It would be an override switch to activate both fans at my discretion. When the switch is off, fans resume normal (factory) operations.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
687 Posts
You can probably figure out a way to wire this in using a toggle switch, but when I tried it on a 97 Neon ACR, it set the check engine light as soon as you turned on the fans no matter how I wired it. The PCM wanted to see the fan draw on that circuit at the correct time. I think you are in for a challenge if you want this to work without a CEL.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I am concerned about that as well. Don't want the dreaded CEL. That's why I was hoping someone had already done this and figured it out. We'll see...

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I know the Tazer will turn the fans on, but I think the engine has to be off. What are you after specifically by doing this? To my knowledge these cars are just fine with the stock fan settings regardless of how you drive it. Just curious.

Look up "25 cent fan mod" in Google and there will be a lot that will pop up from other forums. I'm not sure if those guys had it rigged to run while the engine was running or if it was just for in the pits at the dragstrip.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm not sure I see the point. The stock fans are thermostatically controlled. They are on, when they need to be on. Having them on sooner wont decrease temps.

Another point, you don't even need fans over about 35/40 mph. At those speeds the natural air being pounded against the front of the car overrides the fan output.

A manual fan switch for cooling what's in the radiator, with the engine off, between runs at the drag strip, is common and has been around for a long time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what I am trying to achieve, lower operating temps, especially in the summer. About 10 to 15 degrees lower would be nice. Many guys achieve this by installing a 180 degree T-stat, but that typically requires lowering the fan settings via a tuner in order to get the best results. I can install the T-stat, but trying to figure out a way to get the fans to come on sooner without paying $600.00 for a tuner.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The fans being on sooner isn't going to do anything. That's what im trying to say. If your engine is running at 195 degrees with the fan on, it will still be running 195 degrees if the fan came on 5 minutes sooner or 2 days sooner.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
I would hack it at the relay, but for that you need the wiring schematics. Closest I found was a 2008 RT.

Location of coolant fan relay - Dodge Charger Forums

Or run your own relay and tap directly into the fan. I would tap into the fan right after the connection on the fan side. That way you don't mess with the vehicle harness. I would also run a diode (placed on the line coming from the fuse box and not your relay but right before the junction where you tap into) to avoid any feedback.

Per mopar connector repair site the fan pinout is like so

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fans being on sooner isn't going to do anything. That's what im trying to say. If your engine is running at 195 degrees with the fan on, it will still be running 195 degrees if the fan came on 5 minutes sooner or 2 days sooner.
Doesn't having the fans come on sooner (at lower temps), combined with a 180 degree T-stat result in lower operating temps?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Doesn't having the fans come on sooner (at lower temps), combined with a 180 degree T-stat result in lower operating temps?
When the AC is on it kicks the low speed fan setting sooner and does keep things slightly cooler at <30mph speeds. I notice this when my AC is on and I am running a 195F stat and temps are lower than when AC is off. I remember one of the vendors recommending not having the fans always on or cycle frequently as there life dramatically decreases.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's almost all the t-stat. Remember, a t-stat regulates minimum operating temperature (if the rest of the system is capable of cooling to that temperature).

It really doesn't matter what you do if your thermostat is regulating the minimum temperature. So if you want to run cooler than your thermostat, you need a thermostat that regulates at a cooler temperature and the rest of your cooling system needs to be capable of cooling to that cooler temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts