Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First words out of his mouth are "Don't worry you're not in trouble...I just want to talk to you about your car???? I was already reaching for my registration and insurance card.

All I could think of was "what did I do"? I was pretty relieved and I should have known something different was up cause he just turned on his lights and siren for a second. He came right over and complimented me on my car and then apologized for the trouble. Its funny I had just stopped at a local auto repair place to buy some tickets for The Southwest Super Nationals car show this weekend. I had just pulled out on to one of our main streets when he lit me up. I turned on to a side street and he yelled out from his window.
He told me he and his wife have been looking at Challengers for a couple of weeks and he just wanted to talk to someone who had one. They were looking at SE's but had started to consider moving up to an R/T. I of course got out and opened up the hood and started talking about options & mods. He really wants an R/T and it sounds like his wife is moving in that direction too. I told him he should at least test drive an SRT so that he has a feel for what kind of potential these cars have. Plus you really get a feel for what an R/T with a couple of performance mods should feel/sound like.

My girlfriend said she would have been really pissed off if a cop had done that to her. I was a little upset at first but once he made his intentions known it was all good.

What about you all? Would you guys/girls have been pissed off?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Naw a HP in a Charger got me.We talked for about 10 minutes about the cars. My boy was with me so when we got home he ran in and said MOM, MOM daddy got pulled over by the cops!! lol She was sure I got caught speeding.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Saw a State Trooper filling up his gas tank at a station. I pulled in a couple pumps over from him. Started filling mine up when he pulled around in front of me. He asked me if I wanted to trade cars, of course I said no. He asked me what I had it up to. Told him 106 on a race track which is the truth. I didn't tell him about the one off of the track. :browsmiley: He never noticed that my front plate was missing either. :)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
About May of 2009 I had just parked my car and got out and a Police car pulled up right behind me.... I though wow... what could I have done wrong... and he rolled down the passenger window and said I am just drooling over your car and he talked to me for a few minutes... He then said if you don't mind I'd like to stare at your car for a little while.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lol I wouldn't mind one bit! Good story.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My experience with cops was bad. Once a cop pulled me over speeding, 61/45 and we spent 5 mins talking about the car, he was complimenting my car and its color. for a sec I thought he was going to let me go. Instead he gave me TWO speeding tickets!

In another instance, I was passing through the tolls and there was this cop right behind the booth. Asked me to pull over because the inspection was over due. Also, he gave me a lecture about not having the front plate on, saying things like "you think you better than other people because you drive this car!!" .. I was lucky enough that he pulled over another vehicle. After about 10 mins, he came back to me and said you are lucky the other guy has more issues than you, make sure to put that plate on and do your inspection. Then he let me go without a ticket

·
Registered
442 Posts
I drove by a local PO in a grocery plaza parking lot. He was walking to his car and motioned me to roll down my window. He asked if my car was an 8cyl and said that he hoped he didn't catch me speeding around town...

·
Registered
526 Posts
My experience with cops was bad. Once a cop pulled me over speeding, 61/45 and we spent 5 mins talking about the car, he was complimenting my car and its color. for a sec I thought he was going to let me go. Instead he gave me TWO speeding tickets!

In another instance, I was passing through the tolls and there was this cop right behind the booth. Asked me to pull over because the inspection was over due. Also, he gave me a lecture about not having the front plate on, saying things like "you think you better than other people because you drive this car!!" .. I was lucky enough that he pulled over another vehicle. After about 10 mins, he came back to me and said you are lucky the other guy has more issues than you, make sure to put that plate on and do your inspection. Then he let me go without a ticket
If the cops in Buffalo have that lousy of a attitude I"ll make sure I wont stick around on my way to Carlisle PA ,with Ontario plates Ill have as much luck as big doe on the opening day of hunting season,Torontos finest arent that bad afterall,are NHL hockey team sucks though :notallthere:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yep. I had a State Trooper pull me over just wanting to see the car and asking questions. Turns out he knew me from me working EMS and wanted my opinion on the Challenger compared to the Hemi Charger. Actually we did not keep the Charger long enough to really get any drive time in it.

But half my friends must have been driving down that interstate because everyone knew I got pulled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first road trip I got pulled over. I was on the highway doing the speed limit (as hard as that is). I had a number of cars go blowing by me speeding when I saw the cop. Thought I was fine as didn't see him turn around. Couple minutes later he was behind me with the lights on. Came up to my window and said, "I was just thinking about how I hadn't seen one of these yet.". Then proceeded to give me a ticket for my tinted windows (and for my rear window tint covering the third brake light).

Can't say I was impressed him not pulling over speeders to pull me over. If he just wanted to talk about the car I would have been fine with it but could have done without the ticket.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A while back I was about to get in my SRT8 at a grocery store and drive home. An officer in civilian clothes comes running up with his badge out asking me to wait a minute. ID'd himself as a sheriff's deputy (I recognized the badge as he approached) - said he just wanted to see the car. Showed it off a bit, chatted for a few. He liked it a lot.

Another time I made a pretty quick lane change to get around some really slow cement trucks hogging up the left lane. Came up fast on a red light and stopped after I got over. The car I sort of cut off in the process was an unmarked State Police car - pretty stealthy, no antenneas, dark tint, nothing to really give it away (wasn't even a Crown Vic). When the light changed, he hit the lights (hidden behind the grille) so I pulled over. He got out said he stopped me for driving a little aggressive, then looked over the car asked how much HP, etc. - then said "drive safe" and that was it. Didn't even ask for my license.

Last time was at the scene of an accident. The police were directing traffic around it and had closed one lane. I'm stopped, waiting for the oncoming traffic to pass and the officer to motion for me to go. I noticed a police Charger on the shoulder. The officer directing traffic gave me a "thumbs up" as he pointed to my car - then waved me along. He had a big smile on his face - must have been driving the Charger and a MOPAR fan as well.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I saw a Challenger yesterday at work. I pulled up to the guy at the light and we chatted through the open window about his car. It was a H/O 2010 R/T with no options. He said he loves it and highly recommends I buy one :). I personally would never pull someone over just to talk about their car. Technically, we are temporarily detaining you when we put the lights on and pull you over. You are not free to leave during a traffic stop until instructed to do so. That is, if there is probable cause or at least reasonable suspicion to warrant the stop. If I were to use my lights to stop someone for no reason, and the person got pissed about it, I would be the one in trouble. I work in a very rich area, and I see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. fairly often. A lot of them don't run front plates. I guess I could stop them for that and then talk about the cars, but I'll never buy one, so why bother? I wouldn't do it because there are a lot of people out there who could care less about talking about their cars, especially if they are snobs. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Back in the day I got pulled over and the cop was more intrested in why I owned 3 Monte Carlo SS's, one being an Aero Coupe. But, I guess and all black with dark tinted windows give him probable cause or reasonable suspicion.:browsmiley:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I stopped a nice looking Nissan 300ZX once. When I walked up to the driver, both his hands were on the steering wheel and he was looking straight ahead. I told him to relax, I just wanted to ask him a few questions about his mods because I had a 300ZX at the time too. We ended up talking for about 45 minutes. Became good friends after that. Lots of cops are gearheads too.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw a Challenger yesterday at work. I pulled up to the guy at the light and we chatted through the open window about his car. It was a H/O 2010 R/T with no options. He said he loves it and highly recommends I buy one :). I personally would never pull someone over just to talk about their car. Technically, we are temporarily detaining you when we put the lights on and pull you over. You are not free to leave during a traffic stop until instructed to do so. That is, if there is probable cause or at least reasonable suspicion to warrant the stop. If I were to use my lights to stop someone for no reason, and the person got pissed about it, I would be the one in trouble. I work in a very rich area, and I see Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc. fairly often. A lot of them don't run front plates. I guess I could stop them for that and then talk about the cars, but I'll never buy one, so why bother? I wouldn't do it because there are a lot of people out there who could care less about talking about their cars, especially if they are snobs. :)
Ya this cop did mention that.. he said I was in no trouble and I was free to leave at any time.....as I was not being detained....and he apologized profusely.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...What about you all? Would you guys/girls have been pissed off?
As the public I wouldn't be pissed but I always like to talk about cars. However, as someone else said, turning on those lights and pulling someone over is a detention and in this case a detention without cause. Pretty easy to argue its an abuse of power. I wouldn't be pissed as the public but I would never do that as the police.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In the situation where the State Trooper pulled me over after kind of cutting him off while passing those cement trucks, I do think he did so with the intent of at least giving me a warning about "aggressive driving" - in my state (VA) you can be ticketed for that. I was glad to just get a warning vice a ticket! Any interest he showed in the car I think was secondary. In the rare encounters I've had with police officers, they always have been professional in their demeanor. On occasions where I could have justifiably been ticketed, I've gotten a warning - which I greatly appreciate given they could have just wrote me up. Not that I go hot-rodding around all the time - just saying the few times I've been stopped over the years, the officers gave me a break when they didn't have to. That some seemed to like my car was a secondary issue to why I got pulled over.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah...First words out of his mouth were, Hey does this thing have the big Hemi or the smaller one. Talked for 5 minutes about the car, asked questions and was real interested, and then said, "Hey I noticed you don't have a front license plate, so heres a warning slip, but don't worry, there's no fine or anything to do to prove it, just take care of it when you can...You two have a great day"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts