Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys- I've searched but I'm having a hard time finding the answers to a couple of questions I have.

I'm looking at the 2014 Challenger and have narrowed it down to the R/T Classic or SRT8 Core. I won't be taking it to the track, as I have other cars for that. I love Mopars (have a '68 Charger R/T) and am looking for a cool daily driver.

1) Are the seats in the R/T Classic different from the Core (besides one being leather and the other cloth)? I know in years past they were different, but now the bolstering looks the same.

2) I know they deleted the adaptive suspension from the Core, but what exactly is the Core suspension? Is it different from the R/T Classic with Super Track Pack?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Not sure about the seats, I thought the SRT & Core models had deeper bolsters that the R/T.

The Core suspension has Bilstein Sport shocks and SRT springs with a native ride height of 4.8" as compared to the R/T, which has 5.1".

My opinion, definitely get the Core, is also had the Brembo Brakes, front splitter, front air ducting, and other niceties.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Depends on if you want all of the nice things that come with the classic package. If you just want a bar bones sports car and don't care about leather seats, navigation, etc. then buy a core

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,122 Posts
Yes I believe the bolstering on the 2014 classic is the same as the SRT seat.
And I also believe the super track pack has the same Springs and Bilstein shocks as the core models.
The biggest advantage of the core model over the classic is of course the 392 and the Brembo brake system.

Reactions: 1970FJ6T/A

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Core is the best Bang for the Buck!!!!!!!!

The biggest difference with the core is that it is close to $6000.00 cheaper for not getting the Fog Lights, leather, emblems and other "trinkets" The ballistic cloth seats are IMO the nicest seats out there and to order the fog light Dodge kit is around $200 I can do alot with 6 grand on my own than to give it to Dodge!

Just saying.............

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
You can get navigation in the Core, the 430N Garmin is available.
But the order banks for 2014 have now closed and you must find one on the lot.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I would get the Core, your friends will think it's cooler when they see it ;)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The biggest difference with the core is that it is close to $6000.00 cheaper for not getting the Fog Lights, leather, emblems and other "trinkets" The ballistic cloth seats are IMO the nicest seats out there and to order the fog light Dodge kit is around $200 I can do alot with 6 grand on my own than to give it to Dodge!

Just saying.............
It's too bad they don't put HID headlights on the Core, that's a big front end add-on IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Core is a smart buy...

If you really want leather...you can pick the color/combo from Katskins, and add later. You can add custom sound ...later. Get one without stripes as you can add Custom Stripes ....later...which are more unique. The real difference is Sportmode. It will ride like an SRT with the mode OFF (which is how I generally drive).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the answers!

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had both and as always it depends on what you want most. If you want the top dog in performance with 10-15% less price tag then go with the Core. If you want a nice well rounded car and don't have a desire to be the fastest then go with the Classic and save $5-$8K. Personally, when I had the Classic I regretted not buying the SRT8. When I had an SRT8 I liked the amenities but now that I have a Core the only thing I miss is the auto lights. The heated wheel was nice at times but that's about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Oh yeah...Forgot to mention....

Headlights, seat covers...and all that other BS....pales in comparison to having 392 Cubic Inches at your disposal. The ability to stop HARD with Brembo's....and 470 foot pounds of TORQUE is Awesome. Plus...you can add headlight crap later....if you wanted to. I still don't know what HID's are. What are these HID's anyway? I have them....and NEVER Noticed. Guess they weren't important.

Reactions: 1970FJ6T/A

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you going to buy?

Honestly I don't know yet. Today I test drove a R/T Classic w/o the Super Track Pack, and was underwhelmed by the power. I thought that 375 hp would be a bigger kick in the pants. The steering felt too light and I would like more feedback (I'll bet the Core pure hydraulic steering is better). Suspension too soft. Other than that it was a very nice package. Again, I don't need a hardcore balls-to-the-wall package because this will be my daily driver and I have other hardcore rides.

This car will not be modified much- I've been down that rathole before. I do like the Core because it's like a Plymouth Roadrunner- all muscle and no fluff. Don't want or need heated seats, nav, etc. OTOH, I don't NEED 470 hp in my daily driver either. :)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Honestly I don't know yet. Today I test drove a R/T Classic w/o the Super Track Pack, and was underwhelmed by the power. I thought that 375 hp would be a bigger kick in the pants. The steering felt too light and I would like more feedback (I'll bet the Core pure hydraulic steering is better). Suspension too soft. Other than that it was a very nice package. Again, I don't need a hardcore balls-to-the-wall package because this will be my daily driver and I have other hardcore rides.

This car will not be modified much- I've been down that rathole before. I do like the Core because it's like a Plymouth Roadrunner- all muscle and no fluff. Don't want or need heated seats, nav, etc. OTOH, I don't NEED 470 hp in my daily driver either. :)

There have been a couple threads that at talk about the lack of punch felt when test driving a new RT. Allegedly, there have been a ton of reports on this forum of people noticing a huge increase in performance at 3,750 miles. Apparently, the programming in these cars prevent you from maximizing them until a certain mileage in an attempt to safely break in the engine. I personally do not know how true this is, but search the forum and you can find threads about it.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
There have been a couple threads that at talk about the lack of punch felt when test driving a new RT. Allegedly, there have been a ton of reports on this forum of people noticing a huge increase in performance at 3,750 miles. Apparently, the programming in these cars prevent you from maximizing them until a certain mileage in an attempt to safely break in the engine. I personally do not know how true this is, but search the forum and you can find threads about it.

The 6 speed RT packs plenty of punch. Where did this wake up rumor come from?

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Core
821 Posts
I've had both and as always it depends on what you want most. If you want the top dog in performance with 10-15% less price tag then go with the Core. If you want a nice well rounded car and don't have a desire to be the fastest then go with the Classic and save $5-$8K. Personally, when I had the Classic I regretted not buying the SRT8. When I had an SRT8 I liked the amenities but now that I have a Core the only thing I miss is the auto lights. The heated wheel was nice at times but that's about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I'm on the exact same page? Why is it the only thing I miss on my rt classic is the stupid auto headlights?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't NEED 470 hp in my daily driver either. :)
I don't need 470 hp either.......I NEED MORE! must have mods...more, more.

I think you know where I sit on this subject. Core all the way. Keep the frills, I don't use them. Core would have been just fine for me but some really like em. Although sport mode is pretty cool, rarely use it but I can feel the difference in the turns. Heated seats and steering wheel...I need air conditioned seats in socal, useless here. Good luck, cant go wrong either way. :woot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts