Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I'm rather new to the forum, but certainly not Mopars and would like to illicit a few opinions.
Recently I made the decision to buy a 2014 Challenger and thought I had settled on an SXT Plus but me being me, went through the "Well if you're gonna buy this, for a couple extra bucks, you could buy that..." syndrome and ended up considering an SRT392.

Sticker shock being what it is - I'm more or less trying to decide between a Core and a non-Core. I realize this poll type question can easily split right down the middle so what I'm asking is probably geared more to the Core owners.

After buying your Core, do you regret not buying the 392 or what have you added that the 392 came with (fog lights etc.) ?

Or inversely, do any 392 owners not utilize some of the features of that car (track susp., heated seats/mirrors etc.) and wish they had the extra $4000 or so in their pockets ?

I understand these are relative opinions in that what I deem important, others may not and vice versa. Rather the insight I seek is more along to the lines of the not so obvious. For ex., in another post, a guy commented that the 430N was "cartoonish". Is the 730N that much better ? If we assume it is, it has impact on the "which car" decision as the 730N is not available on the Core.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it best to ascertain the differences in the cars from actual owners rather than the brochure.

Cheers

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well like you said, its all relative and everybodys different. I picked up mine used just before the cores came out for about the same price as one. perhaps slightly less. Yes I like the fog lamps. I'm not a road racer, havnt tracked my car to really use the suspension, but hope to sometime in 2014. As for the rest, I'm a no frills guy. Don't need power everything although its nice, really don't need heated steering wheel in so-cal, don't use nav or sat. radio, don't need the H-K system and so on. I do like the seats but really cloth would work for me as well. sorry this really isn't helping you is it!? I love my car but I guess I would have just waited for a core if I had known it was coming and gotten the color I wanted. Then just added fog lamps. I cant complain, got a fully loaded car at a good price. I couldn't afford 50+ so a new one was out of the question. If you don't need frills and just want the power, core is the way to go IMO. The best thing about these cars is the powertrain anyway.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wanted to buy brand new, and the core was the SRT I could afford. Coming from an SE charger as my DD, a core is a huge upgrade luxury-wise lol. I was psyched to have uconnect.

The thing I envy most about premium srt's are the forged wheels.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I would get a PCP core IF I were in your shoes. IMO, it is the best bang for the buck. I wish we got them here instead of a $68k SRT8.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Yes I went with the Core, because I did not want leather seats, no need for the loud boom box, no need for the touch screen, ect.
I do have uconnect, EVIC, electronic stability control, launch, vapor chrome wheels, ect. Added - Fog Lamps (wiring is already there), put 392 HEMI badges on the finders, plan on quad exhaust tips, and strut bars front and rear. More later. OH, and you can save like $8,000 going with the core.

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
A Core is an awesome choice but then again any Challenger is great to own. It all depends on what a person can comfortably afford. In your post you mention about saving $4000, if someone is financing the car it's more like being four less in debt. The person with that extra four wouldn't be worried as he'd have more money above and beyond that amount.
Marketing is what's causing your dilemma, buy what's right for you, a trip to the for sale area of this forum unfortunately appears to have more than a few who put themselves in a bad spot and are selling cars they just bought.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
my SRT is loaded......if I had to do it again id get the Core.....

id rather have cloth seats...I like the core rims....

the 1 thing id do with the core is add the dual SRT stripes

ive never once used my fog lights
mine is a 2011, so I don't have the active suspension...it handles just fine
the high end radio isn't very good
the nav looks really bad (my wifes $100 one looks better)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Tough call, I LOVE heated seats though. Heated wheel is great until your hands start to sweat LOL Just be sure not to option your core up into regular SRT8 pricing though, some people add chrome vapor wheels and a big stereo and get way into the $40s, and if you shop smart you can score a regular SRT for the low $40s like alot of us on this site did, and at the same time hopefully you can get a core in the upper $30s.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
As the other have said its up to your personal tastes, you just need to look at the two and think if you will ever regret not upgrading at time of purchase.

Now I bought mine with 4k on it for 40K used so I saved from someone's loss. (5mos old)

I personally love these items on mine.
2013 SRT PCP loaded:
-Black Chrome Vapor Rims -- these just look great period
-The Interior Leather -- Not full leather but I like the material used
-Harmon Kardon -- The system sounds great
-Have not had a chance to use all the other features yet but I will at 1 point
-Re-Sale Value--TBD (If they ever come out with the HellCat.

Good Luck and yes you will be happy with whichever 1 you get!

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
I guess it depends on your needs (wants) in a SRT8, if you want all the bells and whistles and have the means and ($) to do so by all mean its well worth it. I choose to to order my SRT8 "Core" with all the options I wanted, only options i did not get were Engine block heater and Park sensor dont regret my choice, and i am sure what ever you choose you will be very happy with your decision. Good Luck

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would buy a used loaded model with a couple thousand on it for the price of a new core. Problem solved in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I tried...."no joy"

I would buy a used loaded model with a couple thousand on it for the price of a new core. Problem solved in my opinion.
to get a used one. I searched every where for a clear black M6 with red interior. Seems like most Challengers are autos. Red was a rare interior color. Finding a used car that has what you want is very difficult.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I love mine loaded. I always wanted to factory order a muscle car and I did that. Paper work has my name on it too. Might only get to do it once. The touch screen, HK audio, manual tranny, red interior are all awesome. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep...

I love mine loaded. I always wanted to factory order a muscle car and I did that. Paper work has my name on it too. Might only get to do it once. The touch screen, HK audio, manual tranny, red interior are all awesome. Just my opinion.
I think the time was right. I really believe that V8's will become rare in the coming years. My SRT will NOT be a "garage queen." I will drive it daily. When the motor gets tired...I'll refresh it with the latest mods. When the paint needs a "touch up," it will get a re-spray. I'm glad I Ordered Exactly What I Want.

·
Registered
442 Posts
core or 392

if your budget allows, a car loaded with options always gives more enjoyment. I personally like my fully loaded 392. It is a nice feature to have heated seats, heated steering wheel, navi, sat, etc etc. At that price range for a little more you do get a lot more car....once you jump from the RT Classic to SRT you may as well go all the way. But if the person has no need for options and wants only the engine option with beefed up brakes and suspension then the core is a great choice..it's really a personal choice....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks fellas. I was leaning towards the Core when I see in the 2015 thread, it looks like the Core is going to replaced with an SRT SP ? Might as well wait and see what that comes with (other than a bigger price tag I'm sure ).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok... let me chime in here. First... I had a 2010 rt. Had most of the options that a loaded srt has. And most of which I never used. Heated seats, every once in a while when my back was hurting... I now have a core, no leather seats ( so I'm not freezing in the winter or getting scorched in the summer). No sunroof to leak... it does have the brakes, suspension, and the 392. U can make it more your own I think with it being a core. I have had mine for 2 weeks. Head unit has been replaced, windows tinted, car cover installed every night, and waiting on my hurst shifter to get upgraded by g and k performance. I went to a molar meet the other night and they couldn't believe it was a core. Needless to say, I am happy with the core...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok... let me chime in here. First... I had a 2010 rt. Had most of the options that a loaded srt has. And most of which I never used. Heated seats, every once in a while when my back was hurting... I now have a core, no leather seats ( so I'm not freezing in the winter or getting scorched in the summer). No sunroof to leak... it does have the brakes, suspension, and the 392. U can make it more your own I think with it being a core. I have had mine for 2 weeks. Head unit has been replaced, windows tinted, car cover installed every night, and waiting on my hurst shifter to get upgraded by g and k performance. I went to a molar meet the other night and they couldn't believe it was a core. Needless to say, I am happy with the core...
What did you replace the head unit with ?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,218 Posts
After buying your Core, do you regret not buying the 392 or what have you added that the 392 came with (fog lights etc.) ?
Nope, not in the least. As for what I've added, so far nothing but a set of scat pack window stickers LOL. I do plan to add a few things and I may add the fog lights, but most of my plans revolve around performance oriented additions, which I would have to do regardless of which SRT I would have bought.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here in Florida there seems to many bargain deals on loaded SRT8s that the price difference is negligible. I paid 40,995 for my loaded new leftover yellow jacket in April. I like the Core but the extras make the car more enjoyable. I hate empty spots on the dash where switches could be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts