Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance but I'm seeing multiple options from various threads regarding the correct "OFF" positions for the HVAC.

I have a 2012 and I'm assuming the first two knobs need to be in the labeled OFF position, but the vent option is confusing me since there is no OFF option..

My HVAC is all out of whack from disconnected the negative cable, and I'm trying to reset it. But, from what I've read, part of the reset process is having all the knobs in the OFF position.

The options I'm seeing is:

1. turn it 12 o'clock
2. turn it a notch above the "auto"

·
Registered
29 Posts
There isnt a bump button, so I guess a comment will have to suffice :) Probably a good thing really. I am seeing the same options you mentioned as well though. I also have a 2012, I would like to reset mine and see if that fixes my issue, I just dont know which would be my correct "off." Back to trudging through the trenches..

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but I'm seeing multiple options from various threads regarding the correct "OFF" positions for the HVAC.

I have a 2012 and I'm assuming the first two knobs need to be in the labeled OFF position, but the vent option is confusing me since there is no OFF option..

My HVAC is all out of whack from disconnected the negative cable, and I'm trying to reset it. But, from what I've read, part of the reset process is having all the knobs in the OFF position.

The options I'm seeing is:

1. turn it 12 o'clock
2. turn it a notch above the "auto"
You need the scan tool if the HVAC actuator is replaced or the settings are out of line.

Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need the scan tool if the HVAC actuator is replaced or the settings are out of line.

Initiate the Actuator Calibration function using a scan tool (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/HVAC - Standard Procedure) .
So it does have to be reprogrammed or reset so to speak? I called 2 dodge service centers after replacing the actuator and both told me nothing has to be done after replacing the actuator. They said just put the new one in and go. But my climate control is all wonky. It can be set to 78 and blowing cold air, and set to 66 sending out hot air. It's like it doesnt want to change the temperature until you turn the knob all the way to the furthest temp (blue/red dot) and then it will start blowing cooler/hotter. It is confused about life lol. I was hoping this wouldnt cost anything else to fix, already had to pay their outrageous diag fee. If the scanner is a must I'll go buy it but rats lol. It's Christmas time, I'm broke. LOL

I would still like to know what the correct "off" positions are for my model though? nothing says off. I have the one that is obvious to me, but the temp and circulation I have no clue

Attachments

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
So it does have to be reprogrammed or reset so to speak? I called 2 dodge service centers after replacing the actuator and both told me nothing has to be done after replacing the actuator. They said just put the new one in and go. But my climate control is all wonky. It can be set to 78 and blowing cold air, and set to 66 sending out hot air. It's like it doesnt want to change the temperature until you turn the knob all the way to the furthest temp (blue/red dot) and then it will start blowing cooler/hotter. It is confused about life lol. I was hoping this wouldnt cost anything else to fix, already had to pay their outrageous diag fee. If the scanner is a must I'll go buy it but rats lol. It's Christmas time, I'm broke. LOL

I would still like to know what the correct "off" positions are for my model though? nothing says off. I have the one that is obvious to me, but the temp and circulation I have no clue
The first knob on the left that controls the fan is your on-off. If you set that knob to Auto it will adjust the fan speed based on your temp settings. The one in the middle selects the temp and toggles the AC on/off. If you have the first one set to auto it will automatically adjust the temp with the AC. The one on the far right is to turn the rear window defroster on/off. so the middle and left will have the led indicator on when they are on.

Is that what you are asking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first knob on the left that controls the fan is your on-off. If you set that knob to Auto it will adjust the fan speed based on your temp settings. The one in the middle selects the temp and toggles the AC on/off. If you have the first one set to auto it will automatically adjust the temp with the AC. The one on the far right is to turn the rear window defroster on/off. so the middle and left will have the led indicator on when they are on.

Is that what you are asking?
Nope. I know how they function, I know that the far left, to turn it off completely (no air through the vents at all) I can turn the knob all the way to the left with it pointed to the empty circle below "auto." I know you can turn the a/c on and off by pushing the knob in and same for the defroster. I just dont know what the "off" position for the other two knobs is. I figured they would have a default off position, but I guess I could be wrong? I've seen other threads speak of resetting issues and talking about these default positions. This one for example: https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/flashing-defroster-light-124498/

But they list different positions. I'm unsure which mine would be? They specify for 08-10 but not anything else. could be the same post OP is referring to?

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Nope. I know how they function, I know that the far left, to turn it off completely (no air through the vents at all) I can turn the knob all the way to the left with it pointed to the empty circle below "auto." I know you can turn the a/c on and off by pushing the knob in and same for the defroster. I just dont know what the "off" position for the other two knobs is. I figured they would have a default off position, but I guess I could be wrong? I've seen other threads speak of resetting issues and talking about these default positions. This one for example: https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/flashing-defroster-light-124498/

But they list different positions. I'm unsure which mine would be? They specify for 08-10 but not anything else. could be the same post OP is referring to?
Oh I see what you are talking about.. That is what Nuke considered his standard off positions "(blower: off, temperature: blue dot, and blend: notch above auto (upper vent?)." so basically all dials all the way to the left. He has the same controls as you do. Doing what he did is a worth a shot. Certainly can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to try to do it tonight if I had time, if not then maybe this weekend. I wasn't sure if they were as you had said, "considered" to be the off positions, or if it was actually the off position. OP mentions his have a labeled off, mine does not though lol. Guess we will give it a shot and see!

·
Registered
29 Posts
It worked!!

Left Fan Knob: pointing all the way left, empty circle below auto
Middle Temp Knob: blue dot
Right Circ Knob: Face vents, right above auto

Hope this helps anybody else who may be having this issue :)

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
It worked!!

Left Fan Knob: pointing all the way left, empty circle below auto
Middle Temp Knob: blue dot
Right Circ Knob: Face vents, right above auto

Hope this helps anybody else who may be having this issue :)
Very cool!!! this is good to know.. you can probably do this when you change the actuator instead of going through the full procedure outlined in the service manual. Which requires the scan tool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Which actuator motors did you put in your car in your car the 1)driver lower,2) driver upper, 3)passenger …..as well before doing the knob settings and battery disconnect thing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely worth a try if you don't have the funds for a scan tool :) and it only took 5-10 minutes :)
Which actuator motors did you put in your car in your car the 1)driver lower,2) driver upper, 3)passenger …..as well before doing the knob settings and battery disconnect thing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts