Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
After fitting the forged pistons and rods ,all went well until a noisy lifter started, any how decided to buy new set of lifters and again head gaskets, going to fit these in
However I have a disc called Dodge Challenger 2014 P/no SN 953917AA this shows me the complete tear down and rebuild
Firstly.......... on fitting the rocker arm back on the 5 small pillars on the head you then slowly torque down, and follow the torque sequence
what does confuses me a bit is the instructions are hi lighted:-
CAUTION :
Do not rotate or crank the
engine during or
immediately after rocker arm installation
Allow hydraulic roller lifters adequate time to bleed
down (after about 5minutes)

Not sure here ?? their`s no oil there to bleed down if they are new surely!
am I reading this right ??

To follow on with this prior to doing the rocker arms etc., when you fit the head gaskets it tells me this:-
NOTE:-
Rotate crankshaft 45 degree's so that all pistons are 1/2 the way down the cylinder bores to avoid piston to valve contact.

Please correct me here! is this telling me that the cam is at its lowest points to allow the rocker arms to be more easily fitted
so you can torque down and not put too much load on one or two of the value springs.

Would this also not squeeze down the new lifters too harshly

Help and advice here
Thanks all for reading this

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken Kamins
much appreciate your reply, seems that I will tighten down each of the five bolts in the sequence shown

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I found that as you tighten down the rocker shaft bolts, you'll find which valves are on lift / open as that bolt will have more resistance than the others.

You want to keep snugging the bolts until the shaft is seated on the bosses (pedestals) then you can do the final sequence to torque specs.

Good luck that the new lifters resolve that tick.

Reactions: tony in uk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hal H, Thanks for that, was hoping to hear from you will follow that info , be fitting the lifters over the Easter time
will it still be ok to run until fixed ?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Hal H, Thanks for that, was hoping to hear from you will follow that info , be fitting the lifters over the Easter time
will it still be ok to run until fixed ?
yes it will just be that sound; since you're replacing the lifters it won't matter. Probably pumping them up in oil before the install wouldn't be a bad idea.
-then there's the crank engine (pull fuse for fuel injection circuit) until you see oil pressure - then re-install the injection system fuse.

Dry lifters make a racket until they pump up.

Also - check for fuel leaks to make sure that quick-connect fitting is secure.

Reactions: tony in uk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I hope the lifters solve your ticking. Like I stated in one of my 1st posts on the forum, I had a noise valvetrain which was fixed by getting slightly longer pushrods (i.e. added more preload). Since the rockers are non-adjustable the only way to adjust preload is via pushrod length. If I were installing a new cam I would have checked the preload on the intake and exhaust to make sure it was in spec.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi ChallyTatum
I hope also it will sort out the tick, I will look into slightly longer push rods, the Cam is stock and hope its in good order, it should be!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts