Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
When I go in to get a car fixed I get on the net so I can go in knowing the price I should be paying instead of going in blind and asking a mechanic that's gonna try and get as much money as possible so I'm guessing that's why they asked.
AGAIN, it's silly-he could want a custom color and in his OP he talking about ghost effects too. This could/will add to the price a LOT. If he's serious, he needs to get quotes from LOCAL to him shops.

·
Registered
317 Posts
AGAIN, it's silly-he could want a custom color and in his OP he talking about ghost effects too. This could/will add to the price a LOT. If he's serious, he needs to get quotes from LOCAL to him shops.
This might be true, but sometimes its just nice to be able to chat about it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another thing to consider, if you spend $8000 to $10000 for a paint job, you will never get that much more for the car if you ever decide to sell or trade it in. In fact, most dealers would probably knock your trade-in down by a few thousand because it isn't original. Now your $10000 paint job just increased to maybe $13000.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I have a small experience but not in Challenger.
I paid 3000$ to change my 1980 Z28 Camaro color from blue to red.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I paint cars for a living so I have first hand knowledge. 6k for a color change in my opinion is very low end number there gonna cut corners to get it done at that price and thats if you have no damage to the car like dents.Your looking more 8-10k I'm sure.Everything comes off doors,hood the engine compartment alone can be a nightmare ,some shops may opt to pull the engine to do a nice job.Most of the money spent is just labor.Paint and materials could run 2-3 k depends what paint system they use.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are just looking to change the color, and not do any custom graphics, it would be much more economically feasible to just sell your car and purchase one (either new, or used) in the color of your choice.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just had a quote to wrap my entire car in sublime for $2800. Might be an option for you?

·
Registered
284 Posts
what do you mean by 'wrap'? Like, shrinkwrap it?[/

The material is made of vinyl and it's made to cover pieces to the entire car, depending on what the person wants to do. You are able to remove it whenever you want.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats part of the reason why I bought a black Challenger. If/when I decide I want something different down the line I can get away with not painting anything but the outside and door jambs and black goes with everything. At least thats the plan. Its tough trying to pick a color new because you get like 7 colors to choose from that they are trying to sell across the different product lines. But then again I like black anyway.

I had a grey 260z that was originally green once. Everytime I opened my door I saw the original green because I think it was some cheap maaco paint job. But even then at least I got to look at the dark gray when I drove it :).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes it is not a cheap deal to change color. And if you use original dodge clips n parts to put it back together it gets spendy quick. Even if your not doing the engine bay you need to paint the inner top of the fenders n under the hood to look right. Doors will need to be pulled. It's not for the faint at heart.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
For a complete color change, then graphics your going to look north of 10-2K. My car had quite a few small dings taken out, full sand, several coats of the Pearl coat, all emblems, lettering etc. airbrushed on instead of the plastic emblems, then using varying amounts of pearl, had ghost flames done on the hood, fenders, and doors. Then several good coats of clear. THAT, got me in that 10-12K neighborhood. Go figure a quality shop, and tearing the car down for a color change.

·
Registered
999 Posts
A painter buddy told me a quart of that "chameleon" paint is about $300-500.... so it would be an easy $10K I bet to have it done right!!!
A quart of mystichrome cost me about $650.

I would START my quote for a color change at $6000. That is one color, black.

To go mystichrome (or similar), I would probably be in the 12-14,000 range.

There is a LOT of R&R that goes into a proper color change!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Getting quotes for a damaged full paint job, same color on an 11 month old R/T $9000 + some 2 inch gravel damage sanding & filling. Not including the new $600 grille.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Just my opinion, but the only way to do a color change properly/economically, is during a "rotisserie" restoration.

It's all there, and it's all bare.

·
Registered
952 Posts

I too, always thought about IF I got a Challenger dirt cheap but HATED the color what about just adding flames? Would it look goofy on a new Challenger?
How much for just old school muscle car flames and keep the original paint color car?
To answer my question, I know...it all depends on the type right? BALL PARK it.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Cheap vinyl decals only...couple hundred bux if you install yourself. Real quality custom full paint job can easily go into 5-digits.....or a hack shop can do it for a grand or two.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts