Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Creating this post so newbies understand what it costs up front to go down the path of DIY tuning.

I don't consider Diablo DIY because you are very limited in the parameters you can change. Does not mean I don't like Diablo tuners...they are great but to me they are for a different use case.

Some disclaimers:
  • Using a tuner will void your powertrain warranty. Don't do it if you can't live without your warranty.
  • An aftermarket tune can be detected and flagged by other modules (like the BCM) so don't think you can trick dealerships.
  • HP tuners is not very intuitive so there is a steep learning curve. Plan on spending at least several weeks searching the HP tuner forum.
  • Messing with spark/fuel can destroy the motor real quick.
  • Messing with trans settings can destroy the trans real quick.
  • The MPVI2 interface will not work with other programs like AlfaOBD (software that can modify BCM settings like sport mode, STP, Launch control...ect).
  • Always save and back-up your stock PCM/TCM tune.
  • When writing a tune it is a good idea to use a battery charger to prevent interruptions during a write to the PCM/TCM.
  • When editing a tune don't make too many changes at once and also it's a good idea to clear all adaptives after writing a tune.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT
84 Posts
This here post feels mighty sticky...

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
Thanks for the info ChallyTatum!

Don't forget about the learning curve to learn how to tune a Dodge, not too mention that if you're tuning a 2015 and up, your pcm has to be unlocked (an added cost too).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info ChallyTatum!

Don't forget about the learning curve to learn how to tune a Dodge, not too mention that if you're tuning a 2015 and up, your pcm has to be unlocked (an added cost too).
Yup, it's all in there. (y)

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,180 Posts
I’ve watched several Speedy Garage YT videos where Speedy goes over datalogging with the HP Tuner and using its software to setup/interpret the data.

Adding a post to this thread with links to those vids and others like it might be a good idea to get folks on the right track to understanding that DIY tuning is more than just changing the car’s tune and testing it with WOT...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’ve watched several Speedy Garage YT videos where Speedy goes over datalogging with the HP Tuner and using its software to setup/interpret the data.

Adding a post to this thread with links to those vids and others like it might be a good idea to get folks on the right track to understanding that DIY tuning is more than just changing the car’s tune and testing it with WOT...
On the old forum format anything with speedy garage would come out as . I guess he had a fall-out with the forum to the point they even banned the name? I was planning on posting links to it but was not sure how that would sit with the forum Gods?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I specifically asked about about my 2 'cars'
98 Durango 1 x $50
16 Challenger SXT 2 X $50 after PCM
just checked the email answer...
Ah, thanks...my credits are off...I will fix that. 2x $50 for PCM and 4x $50 for TCM. Doh!

BTW what about the credits for the TCM on the SXT?

Ok fixed it.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
On the old forum format anything with speedy garage would come out as . I guess he had a fault out with the forum to the point they even banned the name? I was planning posting links to it but was not sure how that would sit with the forum Gods?
Ah, okay, understood...

<backs away slowly>

😯

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Fortunately you can find good pkg deals. I got a complete pkg for under $1100 (typically $940 for HW/lics alone) and it included a custom PCM/TCM (email) tune from a well-known tuner. Granted this is for a very basic, near stock engine. Vendor is not a forum sponsor so PM me for details.

The laptop was more expensive than the tune pkg. I went w/ the LG Gram 15, for weight savings of course :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
Yup, it's all in there. (y)
You are correct! My Apologies!

ALOT more!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The laptop was more expensive than the tune pkg. I went w/ the LG Gram 15, for weight savings of course :)
I bought a fusion 5 win 10 tablet, seems to work fine with the software. Have an old HP workstation that is so heavy you would swear it will add 0.2s to the 1/4 mile.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,008 Posts
The ban was before my time, and above my grade. Not even sure with the platform change that Rambit could change that. And I think some things that went on run deep with the old school guys here, so...

BTW, Sticky I CAN do, stuck ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
98 Posts
My big wish is that someone,some where , some day would come up with a program for the old dump a$$es like me, in a format that lays the tuning out like the old timing lite, advance curves, carburetor jetting, air bleeds, power valves, power valve restriction, emulsion well, and accelerator pump tuning like I've been doing for the last 50 or more years. I bought the HP tuner and all those charts and numbers I still can't rap my brain around. I have all there books, but I think the next step is to pay the big bucks and take the class and hope I under stand it all afterwords.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I am sending my car to OST Dyno, they use HP Tuners, I am NOT buying a module. I told them I would be too temped to mess around with it. I'll so my "self tuning" the right way, hand a pile of cash to a professional.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sending my car to OST Dyno, they use HP Tuners, I am NOT buying a module. I told them I would be too temped to mess around with it. I'll so my "self tuning" the right way, hand a pile of cash to a professional.
I would still ask them for a copy of the stock and modified tune on a USB stick.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
My big wish is that someone,some where , some day would come up with a program for the old dump a$$es like me, in a format that lays the tuning out like the old timing lite, advance curves, carburetor jetting, air bleeds, power valves, power valve restriction, emulsion well, and accelerator pump tuning like I've been doing for the last 50 or more years. I bought the HP tuner and all those charts and numbers I still can't rap my brain around. I have all there books, but I think the next step is to pay the big bucks and take the class and hope I under stand it all afterwords.
Please don't feel like a dummy. I've tuned GM stuff that ran Very well and this Mopar stuff confuses me. I could learn it if I wanted to, but I don't want to tune Ruby, so it's just picking up knowledge for no other reason but to learn something new, but that's a good enough reason for me. You have to decide if it's worth learning (if you're going to use it or not).

The easiest way that I learned on the GM stuff was to learn what each table/setting/sensor did and then think about what each change to them does. I also have five or six good tuning books that I read sitting on my book shelf, along with the Blessing of knowing some of the best GM tuners in the country that didn't mind if I ran some questions past them.

Reading and asking questions on forums is helpful too. There are plenty of smart people on this forum and HP Tuners forum too (ChallyTatum and Pector55 on this forum come to mind for tuning Dodges). Post up some questions and see if someone will share some knowledge. It Never hurts to ask for help.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
I have found datalogging various PIDs while doing different styles of driving provides a good data set to study to learn about how the tunes work.

Replaying the logs in slow motion, sometimes one instant at a time, to see what each PID does or how it reacts to the operating conditions is very insightful IMHO.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
I have found datalogging various PIDs while doing different styles of driving provides a good data set to study to learn about how the tunes work.

Replaying the logs in slow motion, sometimes one instant at a time, to see what each PID does or how it reacts to the operating conditions is very insightful IMHO.
True. That's a good idea.

It also helped me to download a tune file and look through it. I'd compare it to the stock repository file and see the changes that were made.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
True. That's a good idea.

It also helped me to download a tune file and look through it. I'd compare it to the stock repository file and see the changes that were made.
Some concepts were just lost on me until I started watching them in action by playing back my log files. Not even the concepts, but their application...like spark advance. I know what it is and how it’s calculated and what it meant to have more versus less, but I never understood how it really worked in an engine’s tune until I watched some WOT datalogs with KR coming in and out.

Now it makes sense; it’s not just a number or thing, it’s a concept I truly grasp. 🤓

1 - 20 of 26 Posts