Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a thread in another subforum about my new reman 5.7 engine leaking from the front crank seal after only 15k miles, and so far I have gotten responses about it possibly being an error in the crank pulley or being a faulty seal.

The two head mechanics at my shop seem convinced that the issue lies with the crankshaft walking and or the crankshaft not being properly machined/sleeved.

I am just curious - if all else fails, and the warranty company continues to BS me as they have been already trying to get out of covering it and I am left hanging out to dry, what will it cost to take my 5.7 to a machine shop, break down the motor and install a new crankshaft?

How much am I looking at for a good quality crank, and how many labor hours am I looking at to take apart the motor, install the crank, any extra machining, and put the motor back together?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Subscribed. Interesting thread.
Tom.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How much is a difficult answer to give... It depends on what they find when they break down your engine. If they check the clearances and they all are within spec then your problem lies somewhere else.

I honestly doubt the crank is causing the issue. More like the rear seal or the damper as said above.

If you just want a figure as to fixing what you think the problem is, probably a couple grand all together. Depends on the labor rates, where you get your parts from and such. You are probably looking at a good 10 or more hours depending on what you have them do or what they find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much is a difficult answer to give... It depends on what they find when they break down your engine. If they check the clearances and they all are within spec then your problem lies somewhere else.

I honestly doubt the crank is causing the issue. More like the rear seal or the damper as said above.

If you just want a figure as to fixing what you think the problem is, probably a couple grand all together. Depends on the labor rates, where you get your parts from and such. You are probably looking at a good 10 or more hours depending on what you have them do or what they find.
Is it that hard to say how much it would cost to swap out the crankshaft forget what he needs just say more or less how much it would be. Example : to swap your crankshaft labor+parts would be around $3,700 but if you need any additional parts unrelated to the swap it would only increase. Pepole make it so complicated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
These motors are a PITA only because of all the modern wiring and clutter you have to get rid of to pull her out. Worthwhile to get all the parts while your at it. I can see it costing upwards of $5,000

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is it that hard to say how much it would cost to swap out the crankshaft forget what he needs just say more or less how much it would be. Example : to swap your crankshaft labor+parts would be around $3,700 but if you need any additional parts unrelated to the swap it would only increase. Pepole make it so complicated.
You also bumped a 2 year old thread... people make it so complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Newoldchallenger
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing