Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently bought a brand new 2017 scat pack. I stopped to get gas today for my third fill up and had trouble pumping the gas. It would keep stopping and making that click noise like when the tank is actually full. I was only able to get about 3 gallons in the tank which was annoying. I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant and this is my first mopar. Are there any known issues with the fuel filling system? It happened the last two times as well but I was able to eventually get a full tank pumped.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
I've had this issue with both my Challenger and my other car...

try flipping the nozzle upside down and pumping. Some stations don't maintain their equipment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hal, I'll try that if it happens again. I wasn't at my normal gas station today and the pumps did seem older.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Coming from this industry in a prior life, This is typically an issue the the gas pump nozzle, not the car. Try a different station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Fox Hound,

I’m experiencing this exact problem in my ‘09 Challenger as well. Last 2 times I pumped gas it stops every 4 gallons (even though tank is not full). It’s even worse when I leave it on auto-fill (with the lever flipped down). If I hold the pump and fill it up manually I can usually leave it on medium speed without stopping too many times.

Were you able to fix this? Or do you continue to fill your tank 4 gallons at a time?

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Hello all, I recently bought a brand new 2017 scat pack. I stopped to get gas today for my third fill up and had trouble pumping the gas. It would keep stopping and making that click noise like when the tank is actually full. I was only able to get about 3 gallons in the tank which was annoying. I did a search but couldn't find anything relevant and this is my first mopar. Are there any known issues with the fuel filling system? It happened the last two times as well but I was able to eventually get a full tank pumped.
Tell the attendant they need the pressure sensor or whatever they have in their nozzle replace. This happened at a gas station near me and I told the attendant and he said he would let the manager know. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Coming from this industry in a prior life, This is typically an issue the the gas pump nozzle, not the car. Try a different station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^agreed...my Grand Cherokee has done the same maybe 2-3x (no probs w/the Challenger) and after rotating the nozzle incrementally then giving up in frustration, I moved to another station and it fueled fine.

Nozzle design & function can vary quite a bit from station to station.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
If the angle in your filler tube differs to the angle on the pump hose the fuel will hit the side of the tube and reflect (or bounce back) which tells the nozzle sensor that the tank is full, sometimes you need to hold the nozzle in a different position to take advantage of the differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts