Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it annoy anyone else that the Mustang’s Coyote 5.0 V8 puts out 412 horsepower, while the Challengers Hemi 5.7 V8 only puts out 375? We have .7 liters more displacement but produce 37 less horsepower stock. I’ve heard the argument “yeah well that’s why we have the 6.4 liter”. No, that doesn’t sit with me. That’s 1.4 liters more, of course that’s gonna have a better output. We are already at a disadvantage because our cars are so much heavier, but it’s kinda like adding insult to injury that Fords smaller engine is more powerful than our “notorious” Hemi.
I feel like FCA needs to step up their game. I chose the Challenger because I love the looks and the styling and I don’t regret it, but it just seems like if Ford can do 412 with a smaller engine, Dodge’s bigger Hemi should be able to produce more.
Just my random thought for the day

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
177 Posts
Yeah 412 at 6500 RPM . Ours is 375 at 5100 RPM. And we have a little more torque. And it needs premium fuel.
It's all in how they build the engines.

You can add a Air Raid cold intake and add 15 more HP....so they say. Those are $250

In anycase, I'm not worried about it. I'm not racing.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,216 Posts
Every time I get my 5.7 up against new coyote mustangs at the drag strip I ended staring at the tail lights all the way down the drag but my car weighs 4400 lbs and the mustangs are 3600 lbs I got beat by a new F150 pickup and not proud of that

·
Registered
177 Posts
LOL no it does not bother me, I have a far superior car, I just have a truck engine (5.7l). It is a dependable engine, probably the most reliable of any of the current V8's.
Yeah I don't like Mustangs. They look nice but they are too small inside imo.
The 5.7 came in the Rams first but it has been improved and it's all in the gearing in trucks vs cars
My 5.7 RAM is a 2007, has different gearing and only a 5 speed....plus weighs a lot more. That 5.7 has 345 HP, my 2018 Challenger 5.7 as you know has 375 HP.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interesting. When we had that Challenger that was a rental car from Enterprise, it had the 5.7 and it really ran good !

You know I found an old JC whitney catalog, in the stack of magazines in the corner of my home office. I should have ordered the 'gas-o-atomizer' and that 'Tornado' whizzer. I almost ordered that gas thingy that was magnets and you strapped to the fuel line. It rearranged the the atoms. Would have been 20 hp for my Pinto ! LOL

And then that air 'Tornado' that spins air 'clockwise'? or was it counter clockwise, that would help in Northern hemisphere? LOL I remember all those crazy HP additions. The 70's was wild.
I don't think the 5.7 needs any of that stuff, The 5.7 has good torque. Coyote is a cool name, I will give them that.
I really liked that Challenger I rented last year.
we're not missing anything with the mustang. I think,
Best regards
Parrott

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah 412 at 6500 RPM . Ours is 375 at 5100 RPM. And we have a little more torque. And it needs premium fuel.
They don't need premium fuel as they can run on 87 octane.

The Coyote will run circles around the 5.7, especially the 2018+ cars.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
114 Posts
Mustangs are closer to 4k lbs, not 3600 as previously stated, but the HP difference is due to the 4 valves vs 2, but that's also why it needs to rev to make the power. Its the same with the LS engines. They only compete with more displacement.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
I think Dodge has left a bunch on the table with the 5.7 in the Challenger/Charger. Not sure if this is an issue of "don't mess with something that works", or fear of too much competition with the 6.4, or the lack of development money to improve something that is good enough.

The results of the 6.4 cam, intake, exhaust are said to really wake the 5.7 up and has shown numbers that should compete well with the Coyote for output. One argument I have heard is the concern for losing bottom end torque (a necessity for a heavy car like the Challenger), but the info I have seen says they don't lose anything on the bottom end, just gain on the top. And it is all parts bin stuff.

Reminds me of the 383 Magnum when it came out in the Road Runner. They took the 383 and gave it the 440 Magnum heads, cam, exhaust and a better intake and made a screamer that could give the 440 a run for it's money.

I suspect the Scat Pack packages were a glimpse of what the factory would have liked to do to the 5.7 in a perfect world. Reportedly 75 hp, enough to make people question paying extra for a 6.4 and only 35 more hp. Makes me think of what people were saying about the 6.1 SRT, bunch more money but the chassis dyno's made it look like not much gain despite the rated 50 hp difference.

I think for 2021, Dodge needs to offer a new version of the 5.7 with the 6.4 cam, heads, intake and exhaust and call it the "Road Runner 5.7". Or Magnum 5.7 with the internal name of Road Runner. Either way, it just doesn't make any sense to leave 75 hp on the table year after yea.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought an RT and only kept it for nine months because the 5.7 was TOO SLOW....it was a slug in my opinion...
Upgraded to a 392 SRT and never looked back...
My regret is not spending the money in the first place...
By the time you spend money on headers and wheels and tuners and the list goes on...you might as well just by a car with all that but was designed and engineered by people who know what they are doing...

Just my two cents worth...peace :)

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
...By the time you spend money on headers and wheels and tuners and the list goes on...you might as well just by a car with all that but was designed and engineered by people who know what they are doing...
No argument, I have run the numbers a couple of different ways and can't find a way that makes sense to put money into my car instead of selling it and buying an SP. That is why I have mine listed right now. But if it doesn't sell....who knows. Part of me wants to keep my R/T and do the parts swap on the 5.7, add the pursuit brakes from a cop car and have fun startling people with my "base R/T".

But this thread isn't about which is more cost effective, nor which car is better (R/T vs. SP/SRT), it's about what the potential is from the 5.7. One is about "how to get from here to there", the other is about "I wonder what's over there".

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,429 Posts
Yep, it is all in the valves, the number of them, and the in head cams. They have more surface area, can flow more air, and the valvetrain can hold up and sustain the flow at higher RPMS, so comparable power from less displacement. But less torque, it is all about area under the curve, then add in a 10 speed and you are in the peak of the curve almost all the time. Like comparing a 5.7 with a A8 against a 6.1 with a A5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They really did leave a lot on the table horsepower wise, less than 2k spent can make a huge difference. still cant really hit it hard , need better/wider tires, promising so far though
IMG_1453.jpg

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
They don't need premium fuel as they can run on 87 octane.

The Coyote will run circles around the 5.7, especially the 2018+ cars.
Might be true for auto trans but not for manuals. I ran 87 in my manual challenger when I first bought it (my 2013 JGC can run on it but with some pinging...with 93 not a peep) and it pinged like crazy during the summer when you got on it from a light.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,728 Posts
Well, it's about engineering (no pun intended). The 3.6L, with 2 fewer cylinders is 305 HP. So the 5.7L with 2 more cylinders and 2.1L only gets 70 HP more. Mind, with the 3.6L the max HP doesn't begin to tell the story as it's only achieved at 6,400 rpm and only 269 lb-ft at 4,175 rpm. But the point is, displacement isn't the be all of making power.

The real question is why doesn't FCA wring more performance out of the 5.7L like Ford does with their Coyote engine? Hmmm?

A Guy

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,216 Posts
Well I believe my foreman got a new ram 5.7 and I think he said it’s rated @410 hp because it’s got a different cam shaft than 5.7 cars

1 - 20 of 80 Posts