Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Well, it's about engineering (no pun intended). The 3.6L, with 2 fewer cylinders is 305 HP. So the 5.7L with 2 more cylinders and 2.1L only gets 70 HP more. Mind, with the 3.6L the max HP doesn't begin to tell the story as it's only achieved at 6,400 rpm and only 269 lb-ft at 4,175 rpm. But the point is, displacement isn't the be all of making power.

The real question is why doesn't FCA wring more performance out of the 5.7L like Ford does with their Coyote engine? Hmmm?

A Guy
Bill - the PentaStar is 4 valve cyl OHC engine and it was a entirely new design from 2011

the 5.7 has been around since '03 and is a 2 valve pushrod layout. Keep in mind the 5.7 (then was 340hp) and that was a 90hp improvement over the old LA series 5.9 (which dates back to '64 when the original 273ci engine came out).

cylinder head flow rate, cam profiles and compression ratio factor in - as well as displacement

for comparison the former 3.5 was 4 valve / cyl and OHC but peak power was 250hp.

The 3.6, slightly larger but significant boost in output and efficiency compared to the former 3.5 (dates back to early 90s when the LH series were out)

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,429 Posts
Now all we need is someone to make overhead cam heads for these engines!
4 valve vs 2 valve allows much more air flow, and better control of turbulence in the combustion chamber.
There are many downsides to OHC engines and multi valve.
Cost (the casting alone is more complex)
Reliability/Complexity 2x as many valves, springs, retainers, lifters, 4x the cams, sprokets... (can be extremely reliable, but increases cost)
Weight
Size
- you can't ignore that one, those Ford V8s take up a ton of space for how small they are in displacement. Those heads are huge, tall and wide, but they flow very well.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well I believe my foreman got a new ram 5.7 and I think he said it’s rated @410 hp because it’s got a different cam shaft than 5.7 cars
Different intake also. The 5.7 is no slouch but it falls on it's face by 5,700 rpm. A cam, tune, and headers seems to really wake them up with all I've read here and other sites.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well I believe my foreman got a new ram 5.7 and I think he said it’s rated @410 hp because it’s got a different cam shaft than 5.7 cars
The only ram to get 410 is with the 6.4 motor. Not the 5.7. From Dodge's web page:

"The 2020 Ram 2500/3500 offers the most standard horsepower in its class( Disclosure3), 410, when equipped with the 6.4L HEMI® V8 engine. "

Now, the 5.7 has 410 ft pounds of torque:

5.7-Liter HEMI® V-8 Engine and Specs
Do you love the growl of an eight-cylinder engine? The 2020 Ram 1500 will deliver at every turn with a legendary 395-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 that makes a massive 410 pound-feet of torque. Armed with the 5.7-liter HEMI® and an eight-speed automatic transmission, the rear-wheel drive Ram 1500 will make 15 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. HEMI®-powered Ram 1500 models will tow up to 11,610 pounds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does it annoy anyone else that the Mustang’s Coyote 5.0 V8 puts out 412 horsepower, while the Challengers Hemi 5.7 V8 only puts out 375? We have .7 liters more displacement but produce 37 less horsepower stock. I’ve heard the argument “yeah well that’s why we have the 6.4 liter”. No, that doesn’t sit with me. That’s 1.4 liters more, of course that’s gonna have a better output. We are already at a disadvantage because our cars are so much heavier, but it’s kinda like adding insult to injury that Fords smaller engine is more powerful than our “notorious” Hemi.
I feel like FCA needs to step up their game. I chose the Challenger because I love the looks and the styling and I don’t regret it, but it just seems like if Ford can do 412 with a smaller engine, Dodge’s bigger Hemi should be able to produce more.
Just my random thought for the day
Before you let it "not sit " with you, you need to understand something. The 5.7 was designed to for truck duty primarily. The desirable characteristics of a workhorse truck engine vary significantly from a performance car. The 5.7 is most certainly capable of making more power, but there is really no ROI for Dodge to chase more peak power with the 5.7 when they have other engine options. I would venture a pure guess that the 5.7 makes more torque, and has a broader torque curve than the 5.0. There is plenty of potential power to be had in the 5.7 if you need more.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
177 Posts
The only ram to get 410 is with the 6.4 motor. Not the 5.7. From Dodge's web page:

"The 2020 Ram 2500/3500 offers the most standard horsepower in its class( Disclosure3), 410, when equipped with the 6.4L HEMI® V8 engine. "

Do you love the growl of an eight-cylinder engine? The 2020 Ram 1500 will deliver at every turn with a legendary 395-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 that makes a massive 410 pound-feet of torque. Armed with the 5.7-liter HEMI® and an eight-speed automatic transmission, the front-wheel drive Ram 1500 will make 15 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. HEMI®-powered Ram 1500 models will tow up to 11,610 pounds.
Front wheel drive? On a truck? Oh man, I wouldn't want that on my truck.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts

Do you love the growl of an eight-cylinder engine? The 2020 Ram 1500 will deliver at every turn with a legendary 395-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 that makes a massive 410 pound-feet of torque. Armed with the 5.7-liter HEMI® and an eight-speed automatic transmission, the front-wheel drive Ram 1500 will make 15 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. HEMI®-powered Ram 1500 models will tow up to 11,610 pounds.
the 5.7 truck engine has different cam profile - tuned for towing / payloads. it has a top-feed intake manifold with active runners (won't fit in the passenger cars) and light duty truck engines may have different tuning vs. passenger cars

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
It's all about volumetric efficiency. If you bump up CR you can also gain some ponies. On my 460 BBF the stock CR was something like 8 to 1 and just swapping pistons to get it up to 9.5:1 was a noticeable improvement (that and getting rid of the smog timing sprockets).

·
Registered
757 Posts
the 5.7 truck engine has different cam profile - tuned for towing / payloads. it has a top-feed intake manifold with active runners (won't fit in the passenger cars) and light duty truck engines may have different tuning vs. passenger cars
I was replying to the guy who said his boss has a 410 HP 5.7. Only the 6.4 in the rams have the 410 hp, according to dodge.

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
I was replying to the guy who said his boss has a 410 HP 5.7. Only the 6.4 in the rams have the 410 hp, according to dodge.
the 5.7s are rated 390hp (now 395hp) and for years there's been the question of why the Ram's engine had higher ratings than the passenger cars

the BGE (6.4) is the alternative to the diesel engine options and is higher torque rating than 5.7

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
114 Posts
You can view the 5.7 like the 383 Magnum back in the day. Its an entry level Performance engine. Nice power like the 383 Magnum had but didn't compare to the 440's or 426 Hemi's

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
You can view the 5.7 like the 383 Magnum back in the day. Its an entry level Performance engine. Nice power like the 383 Magnum had but didn't compare to the 440's or 426 Hemi's
My understanding was, a 383 Magnum could give a 440 a run for its money. Of course perception was that a 440 was always faster which was why some early Road Runners had 440 emblems added even though a 440/4bbl wasn’t an option until at least the second generation.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
833 Posts
Could actually care less about a Coyote....or a MethTang.

For me.....moving my daughter up from a 2016 Challenger SXT Plus to a 2018 Challenger T/A with 5.7L with only a $46.70 increase in insurance premiums per six months ($0.26 per day) is reason enough to not get excited about the alleged 5.7L’s performance woes.

The 5.7L has been on Ward’s Ten Best Engines list several years. It’s a great engine and serves well in a Challenger, as well as other MoPar car and truck lines.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Saleen 5.0 engine has 440 HP but at a screaming 6750 RPM.

Dont care about that either, just saying. If i wanted a cramped Mustang, id have got one.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
If anything, I would rate the 5.7 more like a 1970 340 Challenger. Fast, fun, but not a big block car.

If the factory would add the cam, intake and exhaust (at least) from the 6.4, I think it would be more like the 383 Magnum in the Road Runner. Probably still not as fast as a 6.4, but not far off.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment above that it doesn't really matter. My R/T is the fastest car I own, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. And in the end, comparisons only drag it down and dilute my enjoyment to for no good reason.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I doubt I would want one as a daily, but I'd love to drive one. I know how well the Coyote runs in F150s, has to be a hoot in a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If anything, I would rate the 5.7 more like a 1970 340 Challenger. Fast, fun, but not a big block car.

If the factory would add the cam, intake and exhaust (at least) from the 6.4, I think it would be more like the 383 Magnum in the Road Runner. Probably still not as fast as a 6.4, but not far off.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment above that it doesn't really matter. My R/T is the fastest car I own, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. And in the end, comparisons only drag it down and dilute my enjoyment to for no good reason.
Stick a 5.7 in an older Challenger and it would be stunning. I would expect that a 3.6 would beat a 340. The 300 net would crush the old 1970 net ratings, and the A8 would make it even more impressive compared to the 3 or 4 speeds.
The 6.4 would beat any, yes ANY engine back then in any production car. Back then, only the special stuff could get into the 13s or high 12s, and that was with pros driving on a strip.

·
Registered
231 Posts

You do realize in E bodies the 340 was actually an option over the 383 and was tested to be faster than the 383 magnum in certain cars.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts