Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Might be true for auto trans but not for manuals. I ran 87 in my manual challenger when I first bought it (my 2013 JGC can run on it but with some pinging...with 93 not a peep) and it pinged like crazy during the summer when you got on it from a light.
View attachment 990116
I was referring to the Mustang being able to run 87 octane, not the Challenger.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
177 Posts
Oh my bad. It is pretty impressive that the motor can hit 12:1 CR and still run 87.
Still says to achieve those ratings it would be "with Premium Fuel"....as I posted with a link.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,773 Posts
Variable valve timing.
Yeah, well the hemis have VVT but since they are push rod engines the intake and exhaust timings can't be controlled independently like DOHC coyote. So control of dynamic CR is limited. Wonder if they made the pentastar 3.6L into a 4.8L V8 (basically like the old 3.7 was a 4.7 minus 2 cylinders) if it would put out +400 HP?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Actually, the 18+ 5.0 is rated at 460 HP, not 412 and with the 10sp automatic, it is really formidable. I've had Mustangs and Challengers and there is no doubt that the Mustang is the better performance car while the Challenger is bigger, more comfortable. Just depends on how you are going to use it. But a base Mustang 5.0 is really a great bang for the buck car.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
Yeah, well the hemis have VVT but since they are push rod engines the intake and exhaust timings can't be controlled independently like DOHC coyote. So control of dynamic CR is limited. Wonder if they made the pentastar 3.6L into a 4.8L V8 (basically like the old 3.7 was a 4.7 minus 2 cylinders) if it would put out +400 HP?
it would probably be in that range or close to it

I had a '92 Chevy Lumina Z34 in that period there were two versions of the 3.4L V6

the pushrod / 2 valve version was 170hp and the DOHC / 4 valve was 210hp (M5) with the same basic block - illustrating the improved breathing of the heads in the DOHC design with the 40hp increase (9.25:1 CR)

·
Registered
231 Posts

I had a '92 Chevy Lumina Z34 in that period there were two versions of the 3.4L V6

the pushrod / 2 valve version was 170hp and the DOHC / 4 valve was 210hp (M5) with the same basic block - illustrating the improved breathing of the heads in the DOHC design with the 40hp increase (9.25:1 CR)
I had in high school. Thought I was pretty bad-ass and at the time it was pretty quick. Would have been even better if the timing chain didn't slip a tooth. Luckily nothing got bent int he process.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,429 Posts

Yep, I almost bought the rare Lumina Eurosport 3.4. Same car, just 4 door with the 24 valve engine. I wanted a cool powerful family car. Then I saw the ads for the new Chryslers for 1993, and never looked at another Lumina again. I ended up with a brand new 1993 Intrepid with the 3.5 24v 214hp? Between the Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, the Dodge was the only one that let you get the big engine without buying the more expensive model with leather and everything. It was $20,000 just about exactly.
That is when I realized (incorrectly) that the pushrod V8 was done forever, and DOHC was the future. While that is still mainly true, the modern HEMI and the LS have made their mark. Plus Ford's new gasoline truck engine is pushrod, 7.3 liter!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yep, I almost bought the rare Lumina Eurosport 3.4. Same car, just 4 door with the 24 valve engine. I wanted a cool powerful family car. Then I saw the ads for the new Chryslers for 1993, and never looked at another Lumina again. I ended up with a brand new 1993 Intrepid with the 3.5 24v 214hp? Between the Dodge Intrepid, Eagle Vision, Chrysler Concorde, the Dodge was the only one that let you get the big engine without buying the more expensive model with leather and everything. It was $20,000 just about exactly.
That is when I realized (incorrectly) that the pushrod V8 was done forever, and DOHC was the future. While that is still mainly true, the modern HEMI and the LS have made their mark. Plus Ford's new gasoline truck engine is pushrod, 7.3 liter!
I've only seen a couple of the 4 doors. They were rare indeed.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I was literally ready to buy one, blue I think, then I saw the Intrepid commercial. Those LHs are great cars, for their time. I traded mine on a 1995 LHS. My dad still has and loves his 1999 Concorde with the oddball 3.2.

·
Super Moderator
15,088 Posts
it would have been the most expensive in the Lumina sedan line-up since they were A4 only that increased the price

my '92 Z34 Coupe was $20k MSRP - all the options

on the Old Cutlass and Pontiac GP, the 3.4 DOHC engine was a $995 option on top of whatever trim level vs. Chevy had the Z34 coupe and Euro 3.4 packaged around the 3.4 DOHC in that trim level

I enjoyed that 3.4 - it loved to rev and over 4K rpm it was "on the cam" - they didn't have VVT or active intake.
GM prototyped the engines with those features and got 280hp, but due to costs cut back to fixed timing and no active intake.

I had two previous GM cars with 2.8 V6 (M4) and while the push rod engines performed well, the DOHC had a more robust powerband

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
it would have been the most expensive in the Lumina sedan line-up since they were A4 only that increased the price

my '92 Z34 Coupe was $20k MSRP - all the options

on the Old Cutlass and Pontiac GP, the 3.4 DOHC engine was a $995 option on top of whatever trim level vs. Chevy had the Z34 coupe and Euro 3.4 packaged around the 3.4 DOHC in that trim level

I enjoyed that 3.4 - it loved to rev and over 4K rpm it was "on the cam" - they didn't have VVT or active intake.
GM prototyped the engines with those features and got 280hp, but due to costs cut back to fixed timing and no active intake.

I had two previous GM cars with 2.8 V6 (M4) and while the push rod engines performed well, the DOHC had a more robust powerband
From an ad on eBay

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
287 Posts
You do realize in E bodies the 340 was actually an option over the 383 and was tested to be faster than the 383 magnum in certain cars.
Good point. I was focused on the Road Runner and how the 383 got the 440 Super Commando parts which really woke it up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was literally ready to buy one, blue I think, then I saw the Intrepid commercial. Those LHs are great cars, for their time. I traded mine on a 1995 LHS. My dad still has and loves his 1999 Concorde with the oddball 3.2.
I had a 1999 300M, bought it used with 8K miles on it and kept it till 2018. I never kept a car that long but really liked it. Big, comfy, had a roomy trunk & got pretty good gas mileage on the highway. It was a relatively lightweight big car.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Good point. I was focused on the Road Runner and how the 383 got the 440 Super Commando parts which really woke it up.
The 340 was a mean little motor. It revved faster and higher than the 383. My 340 Challenger ate a 455 powered LeMans for lunch and spit it out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah 412 at 6500 RPM .
See below, it's actually 460.
Still says to achieve those ratings it would be "with Premium Fuel"....as I posted with a link.
Wrong again. It's 460 not 412 like in the link you posted.
Actually, the 18+ 5.0 is rated at 460 HP, not 412 and with the 10sp automatic, it is really formidable
Yep, the GT with the 10sp automatic is over a second faster than the R/T 5.7. I mean if it were a fight it would be called 10 seconds into the fight.

·
Registered
177 Posts
See below, it's actually 460.

Wrong again. It's 460 not 412 like in the link you posted.

Yep, the GT with the 10sp automatic is over a second faster than the R/T 5.7. I mean if it were a fight it would be called 10 seconds into the fight.
Actually....im still right

This is from the discription from the LINK that says 412 HP

Power Of The "Coyote".
Now you can add the power of the "Coyote" to your very own custom Mustang build with a brand new Ford Racing crate engine. Ford Racing's brand new all-aluminum Coyote crate engine is a modern 5.0L 32-valve DOHC V-8 that features Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) to deliver over 412 horsepower @ 6500 rpm and 390 ft-lb of torque @ 4250 rpm (with premium fuel).

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
41 - 60 of 80 Posts